Gluco Juice

AlexM 03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does anyone get Gluco juice on prescription? My doctors surgery said they can't give it on prescription

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Does anyone get Gluco juice on prescription? My doctors surgery said they can't give it on prescription

They are probably right, the only one I know that is available on prescription is Glucogel (sure it use to be called Hypostop).

You can buy Glucojuice in Boots, I just use Jelly Babies but keep some small party-size cans of Coke for emergencies.

shaggy1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apparently it is available on prescription(depending on your GP), but you only get a couple of bottles at a time. My sister gets me a hefty discount on it through her company so I've never actually bothered trying to see if my dr would prescribe it.

I occasionally get glucogel on prescription but that stuff just tastes weird. Anyone of a certain age will remember Gloy glue, it's basically a sweetened version of that:yuck:

Reactions: 2 people

kirstiemarie91

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
my husband has been told he can't have it on prescription either because it's too expensive :/ which is a shame because it is great for dealing with hypos x

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
GPs aren't the ones stopping it being prescribed.. Its the CCG's as there is glucogel which can be rubbed in to gums if unconscious or the glucagon injection if unconscious.
Gluco juice has no use when you could be drinking lucozade if conscious or just eating.
I doubt very much if any CCG in the country would be daft enough to pay for this to be prescribed!!

kirstiemarie91

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
It's interesting really because Glucojel works quicker than Lucozade. Glucojuice also works faster than Lucozade but it costs around £2 a bottle.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Gluco juice has no use when you could be drinking lucozade if conscious or just eating.

Some people find the Glucojuice bottles are handy as they are small and can fit into a pocket or handbag when travelling around, plus they contain 15g of fast-acting carbs per bottle so your less likely to over-treat the hypo.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My hospital actually give glucojuice to diabeticsif they are hypo whilst an inpatient.

dabbit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullying, vegetables
My hospital actually give glucojuice to diabeticsif they are hypo whilst an inpatient.
I was in hospital recently and was given it on several occasions, I thought the flavour was quite nice.

dabbit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullying, vegetables
It's interesting really because Glucojel works quicker than Lucozade. Glucojuice also works faster than Lucozade but it costs around £2 a bottle.
It's £1.15 in our local Well chemist.