1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Gluco Juice

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by AlexM 03, Jun 16, 2015.

1. AlexM 03

AlexM 03 Type 1 · Member

Does anyone get Gluco juice on prescription? My doctors surgery said they can't give it on prescription

2. mammamia2006

mammamia2006 · Guest

This might sound stupid but what is gluco juice?

• Like Like x 2
  3. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

• Like Like x 2
  4. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

They are probably right, the only one I know that is available on prescription is Glucogel (sure it use to be called Hypostop).

You can buy Glucojuice in Boots, I just use Jelly Babies but keep some small party-size cans of Coke for emergencies.

• Like Like x 5
  5. shaggy1974

shaggy1974 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Apparently it is available on prescription(depending on your GP), but you only get a couple of bottles at a time. My sister gets me a hefty discount on it through her company so I've never actually bothered trying to see if my dr would prescribe it.

I occasionally get glucogel on prescription but that stuff just tastes weird. Anyone of a certain age will remember Gloy glue, it's basically a sweetened version of that:yuck:

• Like Like x 2
  6. kirstiemarie91

kirstiemarie91 Family member · Well-Known Member

my husband has been told he can't have it on prescription either because it's too expensive :/ which is a shame because it is great for dealing with hypos x

• Like Like x 2
  7. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

GPs aren't the ones stopping it being prescribed.. Its the CCG's as there is glucogel which can be rubbed in to gums if unconscious or the glucagon injection if unconscious.
    Gluco juice has no use when you could be drinking lucozade if conscious or just eating.
    I doubt very much if any CCG in the country would be daft enough to pay for this to be prescribed!!

• Like Like x 3
  8. kirstiemarie91

kirstiemarie91 Family member · Well-Known Member

It's interesting really because Glucojel works quicker than Lucozade. Glucojuice also works faster than Lucozade but it costs around £2 a bottle.

9. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

• Like Like x 2
  10. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Some people find the Glucojuice bottles are handy as they are small and can fit into a pocket or handbag when travelling around, plus they contain 15g of fast-acting carbs per bottle so your less likely to over-treat the hypo.

• Like Like x 2
  11. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

My hospital actually give glucojuice to diabeticsif they are hypo whilst an inpatient.

• Like Like x 2
  12. dabbit

dabbit Type 2 · Active Member

I was in hospital recently and was given it on several occasions, I thought the flavour was quite nice.

13. dabbit

dabbit Type 2 · Active Member

It's £1.15 in our local Well chemist.

14. derekb

derekb · Member

Gluco juice is available on prescription I get 12 bottles of 60m every month - however since using these I have been doing a little research and find that the ingredients could cause cancer due to it having both E211 and citric acid in the same pot - this can cause cancer http://naturallysavvy.com/eat/this-is-why-sodium-benzoate-is-so-scary - for me the risk is not worth it and I will be discontinuing this product

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook