Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6 x 8 = 12? Or am I missing somethingf? :) I was never offered a meter or strips. Great HbA1c :D
Cheers

...so this year I have been given 6 lots of test strips for the Glucorx meter. They charge the surgery £10 a box. I pay £8.05 prescrip charges so cost to NHS/Surgery in effect = 6 x£2 = £12.

Reactions: 8 people

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Much work on the weight?
Good stuff with the 34.
Yep I'm 15 stone. Was 19 stone this time last year. Weight loss via food (LCHF) and exercise (Brighton marathon April 2015). No weight loss last 2 months though body shape changed (love handles going and calves of steel).Bloods improved so take it visceral fat is down.

Signed up to do a 53 miler (run/walk) - the white cliffs challenge - end of August. Want to be 14 stone for that so half a stone a month for July/Aug and target of below 200 llb for year end.

Cheers.

Fly in the ointment is this protein in the urine - what I've read about it so far dietary wise is counter lchf - have a bit of work to do there. Maybe I've been spiking myself with higher level of Potassium Sodium, and Phosphorus?

Reactions: 15 people

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all :)

So I felt a bit low last night and broke my ND by having Fish, Chips and Peas for a late dinner. Regretting it now as I was 6.1 this morning. Time to pick myself up and get back on with it.
Well knock me down with a Haddock!

Hope you'll be back down soon(bloods).

Reactions: 7 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Late on parade as always....5.2......shame on me eating those scratchings at 11.30pm :rolleyes:

Reactions: 25 people

emptyplate

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Surely the point of morning fasting tests is to measure and dawn effect? Improving one's insulin sensitivity should hopefully suppress a morning BG spike? Maybe I am misinterpreting but you seem to be explaining that your reading should be lower because you tested at the wrong time (at the peak of a morning dawn effect spike)?

Yeah, but, as usual the dawn phenomenon is not set in stone time wise - well for me it doesn't seem to be! I have a rather irregular wake time and bed time so comment about that as I need to consider it when analysing my morning blood glucose readings. I deally, I'd like to test at a regular time each morning, with that time being at least 8 hours after my last ingestion of any nutrition.

Reactions: 14 people

Tim55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop
Hi Baruney

...so this year I have been given 6 lots of test strips for the Glucorx meter. They charge the surgery £10 a box. I pay £8.05 prescrip charges so cost to NHS/Surgery in effect = 6 x£2 = £12.

I'm surprised you pay prescription charges for diabetic related prescription items. When I was first diagnosed I was prescribed Metformin, some test strips and given a meter.

I was fortunate enough to deal with a knowledgeable pharmacist who immediately said to me "You won't need to pay for these as diabetics are exempt from prescription charges" He went on to explain the surgery should have given me a form to complete to get an exemption certificate.

I went back to the surgery and was eventually given said form and on filling it in and submitting it, my exemption certificate duly arrived - just as well too, because every time I have gone back I have dealt with more junior staff who have asked to see it.

Just wondered if no-one had explained the procedure to you, as it seemed to me that I wouldn't have got one without asking for it...

Cheers

Reactions: 3 people

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Baruney

I'm surprised you pay prescription charges for diabetic related prescription items. When I was first diagnosed I was prescribed Metformin, some test strips and given a meter.

I was fortunate enough to deal with a knowledgeable pharmacist who immediately said to me "You won't need to pay for these as diabetics are exempt from prescription charges" He went on to explain the surgery should have given me a form to complete to get an exemption certificate.

I went back to the surgery and was eventually given said form and on filling it in and submitting it, my exemption certificate duly arrived - just as well too, because every time I have gone back I have dealt with more junior staff who have asked to see it.

Just wondered if no-one had explained the procedure to you, as it seemed to me that I wouldn't have got one without asking for it...

Cheers

Looks like you need to be on insulin for free prescriptions for diabetes: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Living_with_diabetes/Free-prescriptions/

emptyplate

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Looks like you need to be on insulin for free prescriptions for diabetes: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Living_with_diabetes/Free-prescriptions/

Actually, the NHS website states "Medical exemption certificates are issued on application to people who have: diabetes mellitus, except where treatment is by diet alone."

Hope that helps.

<addendum> I got my certificate at diagnosis when I was prescribed Metformin. The certificates are renewable every 5 years. As I'm no longer on Metformin and just diet controlled should I hand my certificate in? </addendum>

Reactions: 9 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Actually, the NHS website states "Medical exemption certificates are issued on application to people who have: diabetes mellitus, except where treatment is by diet alone."

Hope that helps.

<addendum> I got my certificate at diagnosis when I was prescribed Metformin. The certificates are renewable every 5 years. As I'm no longer on Metformin and just diet controlled should I hand my certificate in? </addendum>
No.

Reactions: 4 people

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Baruney

Cheers
Hi Tim

You only get your prescription free if you take the drugs as well - if you are only on diet and exercise than you have to pay. Had the exact opposite experience when I first went for my strips with the pharma insisting that I didn't have to pay!

Reactions: 2 people

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It was GORGEOUS !!

Only 28g carbs in a 12th of it.

5.9 mmol / L before
7.4 mmol / L 2 hours post prandial
4.4 mmol / L 4 hours post prandial (bed time)

Will need to test @ 45 mins mark next time.
What's the recipe

Status
Not open for further replies.