Absorption....

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi!

I'm three weeks into the pump today and still loving it! ... I have a bit of a concern about sites though long term; so far I have only tried my tum and bum -- and bum is almost useless.... absorption is so slow that I end up with high numbers for 4hrs after eating, then bad hypo's as the insulin seems to hit my system once I've digested my food. I've tried a few times now and that happens -- and for obvious reasons of unpleasantness / it being quite frightening late at night I don't want to try again....

However - a) I *much* prefer wearing infusion sets in my bum; actually hate wearing them in my tum -- on my bum they're "out of sight, out of mind" :)
and b) long term I know it's not good to only use one site for years :-/

--- so I was wondering, is there anything I can do to make my bum more usable...? I've tried going for a walk after food but the abroption was still slow -- and I can't realistically go for a walk after *every* meal anyway....

Tips appreciated! :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I didn't use my bum for years and only started using it in desperation because it had never worked for me. But now I use it regularly. For me, the trick is getting the cannula in the right place. I find that the only area that really works is a band along the top of my knickers. IF I put the site too low it doesn't work properly, nor too high. But if I get it in that band then it works fine.

The other thing is that I usually have to raise my basal a bit when I swap from my legs to my bum.

When I first go back to my bum, I often have problems finding the 'right' band to place the cannula, but once I get back into the swing it goes fine.

Your good spots might be different. It's just a case of experimenting, I'm afraid.

Reactions: 4 people

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Ah, really interesting about the band, thanks @azure! Gives me hope I might yet still find the sweet spot.... !

Reactions: 2 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
if you really like then as mentioned already increasing your basal to compensate would be a good idea..........

in fact if you want to use the bum all the time, doing a complete work over of your basal and bolus doses would be a good idea.......

its likely though that you could need more insulin by using the bum which in my opinion isn't good as its the more efficient use of the insulin that the pump is best for and it should really be dropping your daily doses down compared to injections...

have you tried the upper thigh?

this is my favorite spot....:)

Reactions: 3 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The thigh is my favourite too @novorapidboi26 It seems more reliable and is easy to insert and keep an eye on, and has plenty of places to insert the cannula.

I don't mind using my bum, but sometimes I do feel like I'm that girl in The Exorcist whose head rotates 360 degrees. It can be really awkward.

Last edited by a moderator:

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The thigh is my favourite too @novorapidboi26 It seems more reliable and is easy to insert and keep an eye on, and has plenty of places to insert the cannula.

I don't mind using my bum, but sometimes I do feel like I'm that girl in The Exorcist whose head rotates 360 degrees.nit can be really awkward.
When you use your thigh do you use the side or the front?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mainly the front, but do you use the side too...............i may have more flesh at the front....

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mainly the front, but do you use the side too...............i may have more flesh at the front....
I've never used my thighs for sets but good to know it's possible.
When I first started injecting I used to use my legs but before going on the pump I had gone off using them.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@-Artemis-, insulin works fastest in the following order: stomach, arms, legs and last the bum.

The 4 hour spike followed by hypo's could be a sign of lipohypertrophy problems, did you over use your bum for injecting on MDI?

I've not used my bum since changing to a pump and think that I might experience similar problems as I nearly always injected my basal insulin in there, see if you can use your sets on the side of your stomach rather than the front if your conscious about it being visible, I've used my sides quite a bit since the change to a pump and have really good absorption as I never really injected in that area before and always injected to the front of the stomach.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When you use your thigh do you use the side or the front?

I use the front and also the side. I don't go to close to the inner bit of my thigh when I use the top. I tend to use from just in from the midline out very roughly. For the sides, I use roughly the area I can see when I'm sitting with my legs flat on the floor.

I use one thigh then the other, front then side on each, kind of zigzagging down my leg from front to side, if that makes sense.

I find I can't go too low down my thigh, but there are plenty of places to put the cannula even so.

Last edited by a moderator:

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you tried your hips? This is my best area and is both out the way but absorption works very well. Also I like the area at the front above my waist but below my ribs.

Not tried my bum yet but thinking that at some point I'll have to brave it!

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Some really good ideas, thank you! @novorapidboi26 I completely agree with you; my DSN said to increase rates for bum, but to me that kinda negates the benefits of the pump.... :-|

.... @noblehead -- interesting.... yes, where I am inserting the canulas is exactly the same spot I always injected my basal -- as both are the only place my arms can reach....

@MushyPeaBrain -- good idea -- will try my hips to see :)

.... as for thighs, mine are super muscly so I'm scared to try... with MDI I always hit muscle there so just didn't use them (my belly and bum are way more wobbly -- in case I give the false impression of being some toned goddess -- I am not! ;-) :D

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My thighs are quite muscly too, but I pinch up before inserting and find the cannula, which is angled, stays nicely in the flesh above the muscle. Even in the sides of my thighs, where they feel like complete muscle when I flex them, the cannula works well. Occasionally I've caught the muscle, but this is only in the odd place or when I angle wrong or I'm not concentrating.

I feel that if it worked for injections, it'll probably work for a cannula :)

Experimentation is the key. We're all different shapes and sizes. And, for the record, I'm no toned Amazonian goddess either : D

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I didn't manage to use the upper parts of my bum, round at my back, until I changed from Silhouettes to Mios. I found my control was better there than round at the side part. The only problem is that I sometimes feel I've got to be double jointed when trying to detach the pump and working blind with my hands behind my back.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I injected in my bum n sets for 30+ years... No lumps, no bumps, nothing.

As I rotated so much (left glue on so I could make sure) and swopped from left to right etc I didn't have any probs.

Even today now I'm back on 4mm MDI I still use bum.

I've used coconut oil the past couple years to massage it... Previously bio oil ir jyst firming cream (more expensive) from Boots. Just do a massage about once a week..

I think type of sets, length of sets is important in any part of our bodies.

My basals never had to change (beyond normal fluctuations) as this has been only area used.

Nowadays I am rotating a little to legs but there I hit muscle ir get little red markings after so even after 30+ years it is still possible to continue to use.

I am a sort of believer in some sort of massage n cream or oil. People use it on their faces to keep younger.. So to me the same applies with bum, legs, arms, stomach.. Anywhere injections or sets are used then those areas should be looked after.