Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi yes i got a meter when my gp diagnosed me. Is Bs Blood sugar ?? If so i tested around 6.45am and it was 5.4 i still dont know what HbA1c means ??? I prob wrote that wrong think the b is meant to he capital but people were askin me yesterday what mine was but Im still learning things ye spell short and what they mean only 2 days on here.

Caitriona :)

In simple terms HbA1c measures the amount of glucose that has reacted with you hemoglobin. If you have high blood glucose values over time you will also have high HbA1c values. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 17 people

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi yes i got a meter when my gp diagnosed me. Is Bs Blood sugar ?? If so i tested around 6.45am and it was 5.4 i still dont know what HbA1c means ??? I prob wrote that wrong think the b is meant to he capital but people were askin me yesterday what mine was but Im still learning things ye spell short and what they mean only 2 days on here.

Caitriona :)
HbA1c is your average long term blood sugar level over about 3 months. If I remember right the sugar clings onto the haemoglobin in our blood and that's how they get a long term average to check your sugar control.
A good book to buy in the UK is diabetes for dummies I have found it really useful.

Reactions: 14 people

Caitriona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
T2 at the mo and on insulatard a intermediate acting insulin twice a day 10units in a morning and 6-8 in the evening depending on food and sugar levels. Insulin is used for lots of people who have trouble controlling there sugar levels with diet or tablets.
Any questions just ask away we will all try to help. As Clive said have you got a meter and what are your levels like.

Oh rite i see thanks for letting me know everything helps.
Yes i got a meter off my gp when duagnosed but on steroids for neurological condition and oral steroids when sick with asthma and steroid injections into my shoulders every 3 months which help with shoulders scapulas collar bones etc. Also i get the steroid injections in my back the same day so sugars can be all over the plave and having trouble with my tummy since last summer havnt eaten a meal since last summer just snackin on things if i kept them down great but it got so bad in april & may i cudnt keep water down etc so was admitted to hospital with no fluifs and food sugars can spike to 20 or go as low as 2 x now that im home i still have bad days with tummy so still only able to snack (low sugar yogurt) or a bit of fruit and in the evening for some reason a ham sandwich i can keep down but have days that i cant even keep them down so sugars all over the place im getting another endoscopy done the 20th hopefully will get answers and tummy will calm down coz when i do manage to eat a snack or have a ham sandwich and keep them down readings are good. Ive tried introducing other foods but they dont stay down and suffering pain wise tummy muscles and back & neck etc from vomiting for so long and empty reaching x i kniw a ham sandwich isnt great but me and my husband are happy if i manage to keep something down :-(

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Must be some genetic influence on the blood ketones. I just tested mine 4.5 hours after breakfast, result 4.6 mmoles/l.
FBG was 72 mg/dl and 4.5 hours after first bite 88 mg/dl which is not great.
Yes our genes do their best or worst I suppose. Plus you have such a long and consistent record that the swing is never that much even if your none too chuffed personally.

Reactions: 13 people

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes i got a meter off my gp when duagnosed but on steroids for neurological condition and oral steroids when sick with asthma and steroid injections into my shoulders every 3 months which help with shoulders scapulas collar bones etc. Also i get the steroid injections in my back the same day so sugars can be all over the plave and having trouble with my tummy since last summer havnt eaten a meal since last summer just snackin on things if i kept them down great but it got so bad in april & may i cudnt keep water down etc so was admitted to hospital with no fluifs and food sugars can spike to 20 or go as low as 2 x now that im home i still have bad days with tummy so still only able to snack (low sugar yogurt) or a bit of fruit and in the evening for some reason a ham sandwich i can keep down but have days that i cant even keep them down so sugars all over the place im getting another endoscopy done the 20th hopefully will get answers and tummy will calm down coz when i do manage to eat a snack or have a ham sandwich and keep them down readings are good. Ive tried introducing other foods but they dont stay down and suffering pain wise tummy muscles and back & neck etc from vomiting for so long and empty reaching x i kniw a ham sandwich isnt great but me and my husband are happy if i manage to keep something down :-(
Oh hun not good I have also got severe Asthma and am on steroids have you been tested for refulx or GEROD because of your Asthma? I will send you a personal message invite just click on it then we can discuss things and I can try to help or give you soon ideas about food that might stay down and help.
Take care Lou

Reactions: 6 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes our genes do their best or worst I suppose. Plus you have such a long and consistent record that the swing is never that much even if your none too chuffed personally.

Oh, I sometimes do have a very reserved [English} chuff to myself ,in moments of guarded privacy. Lately I had a series of chuffs when I started getting low and consistent FBG,s in reaction to my very low carb intake. Suppose that I am a closet chuffer.

Reactions: 15 people

Caitriona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh hun not good I have also got severe Asthma and am on steroids have you been tested for refulx or GEROD because of your Asthma? I will send you a personal message invite just click on it then we can discuss things and I can try to help or give you soon ideas about food that might stay down and help.
Take care Lou

Thank you. You are very kind to do that. But must try and sleep now only got 2 hours last nite so im fit to drop.
I will check in later this evening i have visitors staying for 4 days. It might be 2moro even.
But i do want ur help & advice so will get back to you as soon as i can.
Thank you so much.
Regards.
Caitriona :) :)

Caitriona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. You are very kind to do that. But must try and sleep now only got 2 hours last nite so im fit to drop.
I will check in later this evening i have visitors staying for 4 days. It might be 2moro even.
Thank you so much.
Regards.

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so much.
Regards.
That's fine I know what little sleep is like:(. You take care and enjoy your visitors :)

Reactions: 2 people

emptyplate

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Morning troops

5.7 fasting. Blood ketones 0.6.

Grey day in Cockney Land. Could be a frustrating escape tonight as operation stack is in place again!

@nomistheman hope you are Ok. Was getting a bit concerned with your absence as you eluded to it previously. Hang on in there bud.

It's fun in the big smoke - no? ;)

Best way to describe my state at the moment is "Still breathing!" Hey, ho.

Wildrover

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
NEWS FLASH, after a recent couple of re: Accu Chek Fastclix lancet device, was in Boots this morning to find that the Accu Chek mobile was priced at £15.92. So took one to checkout. Showed up at £29 something, but after minor discussion they honoured it, lovely jubley, so now have a fast clix lancet device AND a spare meter

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
Good morning all. I had a 6.3 fasting BG reading this morning after a 5.2 one at bedtime last night.

Reactions: 22 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Just a thought , have you tried the powdered complete meal replacement shakes?

Reactions: 4 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
NEWS FLASH, after a recent couple of re: Accu Chek Fastclix lancet device, was in Boots this morning to find that the Accu Chek mobile was priced at £15.92. So took one to checkout. Showed up at £29 something, but after minor discussion they honoured it, lovely jubley, so now have a fast clix lancet device AND a spare meter
Get stabbin then

Reactions: 7 people

Tim55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop
Morning all

Slightly less encouraging 6.2 for me this grey day. too many treats I guess....

Reactions: 22 people
Status
Not open for further replies.