Should we get help with exercise?

Cos gives people more incentive to help with weight cos I have few friends that are T2 but moans that can't afford gyms and that so do sod all yeah it doesn't cost anything to go running or what not

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
There are country walks city walks swimming stepping dancing fighting with the neighbours .... you don't need a gym.

Reactions: 8 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
How about walking or running to the gym and back but not going in?
Makes sense to me.

Reactions: 25 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
No I don't think free gym membership should be available free for diabetics, or anyone. Exercise is not needing to be gym based .. Walking up stairs ..or Sitting up and down on a chair .. Or running on the spot .. There is a lot of movement to be done in and around your own home rather than lining the pockets of some gym owner.

Reactions: 20 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Free generally isn't free as such things has to be paid for somehow - and I don't see why the part of my hard earned money that goes in taxes should be used in this way, when it's quite possible to exercise anytime and anywhere (as already pointed out) without such luxuries. So suggesting people should have gym membership to be provided for them before they're willing get up off their feet and take responsibility for their own wellbeing is IMO just a rather lazy excuse.

Peevishly,
Robbity

Reactions: 10 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cos gives people more incentive to help with weight cos I have few friends that are T2 but moans that can't afford gyms and that so do sod all yeah it doesn't cost anything to go running or what not

Do your T2 friends manage their diets well?

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest diet is more important for weight loss than exercise, no matter what the media says. I was offered a 6 months free membership to Slimming World which helped me stay disciplined even though I followed my own diet of choice whilst I was there. As others have said walking is free.

Reactions: 6 people

AsIFall

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started out my weight loss journey with lots of lovely walks. I bought a secondhand low impact exercise bike for 20 quid and some secondhand weights for 7 quid. Two weeks ago, I bought a secondhand mountain bike for £25. With this and addressing my diet, I've lost almost 25kg in approx 14 weeks. The turn around in my health and quality of life was more than worth the £52! :) Like my old Gran used to say, 'where there's a will, there's a way'! No free gym required.

Reactions: 19 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I started out my weight loss journey with lots of lovely walks. I bought a secondhand low impact exercise bike for 20 quid and some secondhand weights for 7 quid. Two weeks ago, I bought a secondhand mountain bike for £25. With this and addressing my diet, I've lost almost 25kg in approx 14 weeks. The turn around in my health and quality of life was more than worth the £52! :) Like my old Gran used to say, 'where there's a will, there's a way'! No free gym required.
My old gran always said .... where there's a will there's a relative!

Reactions: 20 people

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think we should have free gym/workout membership

Interesting statement and I suppose it's understandable that many would take the view that expecting a 'hand out' to help treat a condition that is already a huge cost to the health system (especially free gym membership which would be regarded as a luxury for a lot of people) is pretty irresponsible.:eek:
Having said that, to offer a personal fitness training plan at diagnosis (ideally with real time feedback with blood glucose readings) concurrent with diet plan/education (that is based on carb reality) and I am betting you would see some excellent results and more importantly give people hope and control of their own destiny.
It may be a burden on the already overloaded taxpayer, but it would be interesting to see a cost analysis. Cost upfront for a long term saving?

Reactions: 12 people
I don't expect hand outs but some people may I've joined Herbalife workout groups and that and starting to loose some (hard to do with other conditions and side effects from meds that cause weight gain)

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My exercise is walking, which I'm focusing on because it costs me nothing, and because of the level of my income, that's important. Some walks are from my doorstep, for others I use the free bus pass I get as a pensioner, which is a fantastic perk. I always did some walking, but nowhere near as much as I'm now doing, and I love the fact it costs me nothing. Balances out the cost of the monitoring stuff!

Reactions: 16 people

juju85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Washing up ! Lol
I'm currently on a prescription weight loss and cut price gym 12 week course as I've really struggled to lose weight and if really like to try for my 1st baby soon so I need all the help I can get

Reactions: 8 people

Suzannelife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
BOLL
Like you said, it doesn't cost anything to go running. In fact, I don't need free GYMS, I just do it myself now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Why not give out free gym memberships to anyone whose health would benefit from exercise?

Oh .. hang on a minute ... that pretty much covers everyone :rolleyes:

Why should diabetics be given special treatment?

Last edited by a moderator:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think we should have free gym/workout membership
When all else fails, form your own group. Choose a venue like a park or a street route and just get going. No special equipment or kit needed. You will of course find that some people would change their moan chant from "can't afford to go to the gym" to "don't have the time" but hey some will join in.

Reactions: 4 people