Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Hi Gezzabelle

You might want to get your GP to refer you to a haematologist. Raised iron and red blood cell count could be an indication of the Myeloproliferative Neoplasm called polycythaemia vera. If you are in or near London, the unit at Guy's Hospital headed by Prof Claire Harrison is a centre of excellence.

Keep well

Doug

Reactions: 6 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Well...all my numbers were good and as a reward I can now stuff my face with carbs again and be re diagnosed in a year....oh and I told her I quit smoking almost 11 months ago and now use a vape and was told off for that too. I gave up trying to listen to anymore BS at that point :D

You have done amazingly well.... It leaves me speechless that you should have been treated so and you are very sensible to ignore their 'advice'.... I achieved much the same as you, with, as you, all the support and information from the wonderful people on this forum... I still tend to go up and down a bit, especially fasting numbers, but I definitely control my diabetes - it doesn't control me... Well done... and giving up smoking is another huge achievement.... Gold stars for you... :)

Reactions: 2 people

munday1932

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
cold weather.People who criticize my town but don't help to make it better.Please can I go back to me user name which is Kentish maid
I have also been told I have reversed my diabetes but my doctor said we both know you are a diabetic and continue to carry on the routine you follow.

Reactions: 3 people

maisyme

that's brilliant...you should be so proud of yourself...what you're doing is obviously working...so I'd keep on doing it
by the way did you ever take statins....

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
that's brilliant...you should be so proud of yourself...what you're doing is obviously working...so I'd keep on doing it
by the way did you ever take statins....
Never been offered statins despite higher than they want cholesterol....wouldn't take them anyway ;)

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Gezzabelle

You might want to get your GP to refer you to a haematologist. Raised iron and red blood cell count could be an indication of the Myeloproliferative Neoplasm called polycythaemia vera. If you are in or near London, the unit at Guy's Hospital headed by Prof Claire Harrison is a centre of excellence.

Keep well

Doug
It would be good to even get an appointment for the scan.....STILL waiting !!!

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
On the bread subject, I've had a slice of German Rye (M&S) for brekkie yesterday and today, and the affects on my BG seem to be smaller than they were the last time I ate the stuff a couple of months ago.

In fact today I went from 5.6 fasting, 6.8 1 hour and 5.4 2 hours
I have found recently that if I eat a slice of toast with butter my bg goes up higher than if I eat a slice of toast and butter with eggs so the protein must offset the carbs? 1 slice of toast buttered @2 hours = 7.5 1 slice of toast with a 2 egg omelette, cheese and mushrooms in single cream only 7.7 @ 2 hours.....1 slice of toast with 1 poached egg @ 2 hours = 6.3....weird results for so much more food than the one piece of toast

maisyme

Her statement that I am NOT diabetic was based on the fact my new HbA1c was 5.7.....only achieved by eating as a diabetic and very low carb :rolleyes: but try as I might I couldn't make her understand that fact. She said go eat some cake and enjoy it :banghead::banghead: So glad that you get better support. Thank you for my gold star :D

maisyme

you've done brilliantly.....you should be so proud of yourself....you must be doing something right ..so keep doing it....
by the way did you ever take statins.....

maisyme

the reason I asked about the statin was ...I was taking them for years and then was diagnosed type 2....not on meds...just like you diet and exercise ..but I stopped the statins 3 or 4 years ago..and wouldn't take any more....now it's well known that they can cause a rise in blood sugar...my last hb a1c was 5.5.....

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
the reason I asked about the statin was ...I was taking them for years and then was diagnosed type 2....not on meds...just like you diet and exercise ..but I stopped the statins 3 or 4 years ago..and wouldn't take any more....now it's well known that they can cause a rise in blood sugar...my last hb a1c was 5.5.....
My cholesterol is normal they said but say it's too high at 5.8?....they haven't asked me to take statins and I wouldn't any way. They keep lowering the acceptable levels and want it down to 3.0 now ....impossible and not natural to be that low. I am told it's ''normal'' then to get it down lower. They can go whistle Dixie if they think I am changing anything else in my life ....eating low carb cos hard enough without anymore being asked. For a practice that told me to go back to eating junk again cos I got my HbA1c down to non diabetic I don't think their advice is really of any worth. I will go on as I am and if that isn't good enough tough titty...cos I don't care anymore lol

Bigbloke48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lies,
I am staggered by their stupidity. I have been told NOT to test my blood ever and to go back to eating carbs.....so.....I am staying as I am and eating the way I have been because the obvious prognosis is I would be back in diabetic range if I don't. She also said eating high fat will send my cholesterol sky high and kill me...duhhhhh....I give up on the NHS and will take care of my own health from here on in. Incidentally she says it's fine to have bg elevations into double figures that take 6 hours to come down ???
Good on you for taking control. They need to get retrained and keep up to date with current research.

Always wonder why the NHS are so behind.

Reactions: 4 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
It would be good to even get an appointment for the scan.....STILL waiting !!!
Maybe you could give them a call to chase it up? I agree with the idea of seeing a haematologist.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Kind of scares me to find out whats wrong....figure maybe ignorance is bliss? :(
Aw, come now... isn't it better to know what you are dealing with? If my memory is correct, you didn't have any other signs or symptoms suggesting it could be serious? Hugs.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Some HCP'S are very helpful and not all HCP's ignore us diabetics .

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Finally got an appointment for an abdominal/liver scan....September 21st 12.15pm so not much longer to wait...be good to get some answers and hopefully put my mind at ease