What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello is this thread for type 1 or Type 2 or both? I only ask as I've just found another thread but it says type 2.

Reactions: 6 people

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello is this thread for type 1 or Type 2 or both? I only ask as I've just found another thread but it says type 2.
Its for both...I'm type 1 but have been posting here for months...seems to be a good mix of both

Reactions: 7 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Natalie1974 . Thank you. I'll stay here then. I haven't been doing my morning bs but knowing about the thread will help me remember. :)

Reactions: 7 people

Hobo1978

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Spent the weekend on a stag do. grillstock festival and zorb footballing! My first stag sober. Lot of fun and meat! Was 6.4 fasting this morning. Lowest it's been since I was diagnosed. Can't seem to get below 6 though. Do you think it's because it's still early days? I'm on 500mg metaformin. Ta

Reactions: 4 people

Hobo1978

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Also, does washing hands make a big difference, or should I just test literally before jumping out of bed?!

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also, does washing hands make a big difference, or should I just test literally before jumping out of bed?!
Someone I met at a recent diabetes meet had a freestyle libre and had noticed that as soon as his feet hit the floor in the morning that his BS jumped up along with him. I've not put this theory to the test myself though. Assuming you wash before going to bed...it's unlikely that you'll have anything too sweet and sticky on your hands when you wake...alternatively you could use an alcohol based wipe before testing

Reactions: 2 people

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Spent the weekend on a stag do. grillstock festival and zorb footballing! My first stag sober. Lot of fun and meat! Was 6.4 fasting this morning. Lowest it's been since I was diagnosed. Can't seem to get below 6 though. Do you think it's because it's still early days? I'm on 500mg metaformin. Ta
Are you low carbing? As a type 1 following LCHF...I also need to inject for protein...maybe worth reducing proteins a little to see if that has an effect on your BS

Hobo1978

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you low carbing? As a type 1 following LCHF...I also need to inject for protein...maybe worth reducing proteins a little to see if that has an effect on your BS
Thanks Natalie. Yeah I guess I'm low carbing. I've lost 10lb in three weeks now. I typically have Greek fat free yoghurt for breakfast, and salad for lunch with chicken or tuna. Then stir fry or chicken and sweet potato fries for dinner. I try to avoid food after 7pm. Hopefully my levels will come down a bit more. During the day they are always well in the recommended ranges. It's just the morning one that's a bit high! I don't think it's dangerously high, but I'd still like to see it lower. My fasting was 12 when diagnosed so it's nearly halved in 3 weeks.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Natalie. Yeah I guess I'm low carbing. I've lost 10lb in three weeks now. I typically have Greek fat free yoghurt for breakfast, and salad for lunch with chicken or tuna. Then stir fry or chicken and sweet potato fries for dinner. I try to avoid food after 7pm. Hopefully my levels will come down a bit more. During the day they are always well in the recommended ranges. It's just the morning one that's a bit high! I don't think it's dangerously high, but I'd still like to see it lower. My fasting was 12 when diagnosed so it's nearly halved in 3 weeks.

Wow...well done you...that's an excellent achievement in just 3 weeks...keep doing what you're doing...sure you will reach your goals :)

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Your weight loss is going well on the low-carbing, and 6.4 seems to show your levels are going in the right direction. The sweet potato fries (delicious!) and the fat free Greek yoghurt might be high in carbs so check what effect they have on your levels. Maybe reduce the sweet potato and add in some crispy kale? Full fat Greek yoghurt might be a lower carb alternative, maybe compare the food labels on these?

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
9.4 today realy need to finish work I suppose and get this back in check :(

Reactions: 3 people