stopped esa

tommyg2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all
I have had type 1 for just over 1 year now, i was working when i found out i had it, and lost this job. Since then ive struggled with my diabetes alot and find it very rare that i hit single digits. this is causing me to be stupidly tired all the time, struggle with focusing on anything for more than 10mins and sleeping any chance i get. im getting really bad cramps in legs during sleep and have even wet the bed at times, due too blood being soo high.
i found a job with a family friend in feb but i took so much time off that he had to let me go, i was struggling even more while working as i was missing jabs and eating extra and stuff because it was a pretty physical job and i was worried about hypos, during the month and half i was there i took a full week off and stayed off a lot of random days aswell. after he said he couldnt carry on like that so i reclaimed esa.
well two months ago a well paid job in a factory came up so i said i would give it a shot again to see if i was any fitter and capable of work.
Unfortunatly this only lasted 3 weeks and i had 5 days off during this time.
i suffer with bad social anxiety and depression along with the very badly controlled type 1.
I had to do a health assesment in the jobcentre and they have just called me saying i scored no points and they are stopping my esa.
I dont really understand how i can score 0 after what we discussed in the assessment. they have booked a appointment for me to claim jsa, even tho i know i cant work right now.
can they really stop my money and will try force me to look for work. dont get me wrong i do want to work but i just know i need more time

Any advice is much appriciated thanks

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi feel real sympathy for you.
But that's modern Britain for you!
What you do is appeal the judgement. It will take time. The Citzens advice bureau will help you.
It's standard practice to award no points, that way the government saves money believe it or not!
We've been through it all and won but still got no money, because of my pension!
My wife is disabled and can't stand or sit or do anything in comfort for more than a few minutes and they still give her no points!

Don't let this slide, go out and get what is due you. They want you to not to claim!
How are you going to live and eat in the meantime?

tommyg2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
apperantly on that test i score 45 points, again i dont understand how its such a big diffrence, i guess i will have to wait for the appeal :/

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
I have had type 1 for just over 1 year now, i was working when i found out i had it, and lost this job. Since then ive struggled with my diabetes alot and find it very rare that i hit single digits. this is causing me to be stupidly tired all the time, struggle with focusing on anything for more than 10mins and sleeping any chance i get. im getting really bad cramps in legs during sleep and have even wet the bed at times, due too blood being soo high.
i found a job with a family friend in feb but i took so much time off that he had to let me go, i was struggling even more while working as i was missing jabs and eating extra and stuff because it was a pretty physical job and i was worried about hypos, during the month and half i was there i took a full week off and stayed off a lot of random days aswell. after he said he couldnt carry on like that so i reclaimed esa.
well two months ago a well paid job in a factory came up so i said i would give it a shot again to see if i was any fitter and capable of work.
Unfortunatly this only lasted 3 weeks and i had 5 days off during this time.
i suffer with bad social anxiety and depression along with the very badly controlled type 1.
I had to do a health assesment in the jobcentre and they have just called me saying i scored no points and they are stopping my esa.
I dont really understand how i can score 0 after what we discussed in the assessment. they have booked a appointment for me to claim jsa, even tho i know i cant work right now.
can they really stop my money and will try force me to look for work. dont get me wrong i do want to work but i just know i need more time

Any advice is much appriciated thanks

What support are you getting to help you bring your bloods under control?

tommyg2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i see my diabetic nurse every few weeks and the consultant every few months, tbh the support is ****, im waiting to see a dietitian still after about 15 months with type 1, ive never been sent on any courses or anything just told how to use the insulin and sent on my way.

i honestly cant talk to my small family i never have been able to and wouldnt about this either. and i dont have many others to speak to, so im dealing with all this **** alone. i know only i can get control but its too hard with everything else going on.

lets hope i can change there mind at the appeal because all this extra stress is not good

ChuckD

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
There are volutary groups out there who provide free consultants, maybe give one of them a try?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
How did you get on with your appeal?
I too received no points, jokers!

M

mrspuddleduck

How did you get on with your appeal?
I too received no points, jokers!
Please don't take offence because I'm in no way judging you, just stating the facts as I know it! Your profile says you go swimming three times a week and do loads of walking. From that level of mobility they will automatically give you zero points for the physical disability/mobility part. Good luck with it!

Reactions: 2 people
M

mrspuddleduck

Hi feel real sympathy for you.
But that's modern Britain for you!
What you do is appeal the judgement. It will take time. The Citzens advice bureau will help you.
It's standard practice to award no points, that way the government saves money believe it or not!
We've been through it all and won but still got no money, because of my pension!
My wife is disabled and can't stand or sit or do anything in comfort for more than a few minutes and they still give her no points!

Don't let this slide, go out and get what is due you. They want you to not to claim!
How are you going to live and eat in the meantime?

I'm in a similar position. I was assessed and deemed 'permenantly unfit for work' about 8 years ago but get no benefits as I have an ill health pension. Interestly Ive just looked at the application form and even with my complex and accepted (by the DWP) health problems, I could only score 24 points!!!!!!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm in a similar position. I was assessed and deemed 'permenantly unfit for work' about 8 years ago but get no benefits as I have an ill health pension. Interestly Ive just looked at the application form and even with my complex and accepted (by the DWP) health problems, I could only score 24 points!!!!!!

It's an absolute disgrace! Treated worse than slaves! Bloody Tories!

You was lucky to get that many points!

The wife on her first assessment got none!!!!!!!!!

She doesn't get an assessment now!

Reactions: 7 people
M

mrspuddleduck

It's an absolute disgrace! Treated worse than slaves! Bloody Tories!

You was lucky to get that many points!

The wife on her first assessment got none!!!!!!!!!

She doesn't get an assessment now!
I was only assessed because I had to give up work early and they decided they may have to pay my national insurance contributions. But then they decided I'd already paid full NI contributions in the 32 years I'd actually worked so I wasn't entitled to anything!!!!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Believe it or not between me and the wife we have paid full stamp for over eighty five years between us and only payment off the government has been child benefit which everyone got!

When you really need help they don't want to know and will do anything to not pay you!

I've never had a day on the dole and I'm keeping someone who really needs a job out of work.

The number of unemployed would drop dramatically if they would start paying benefits to disabled people who really need it.

But they would rather have the ultra poor, poorer, whilst the idle rich get richer!
The reason they create unemployment is to keep wages down, so there are no jobs! So they pick on the most vulnerable like the old and disabled. Great country this, wish I could go where they do look after you, for your work that you have done!

Reactions: 7 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Please don't take offence because I'm in no way judging you, just stating the facts as I know it! Your profile says you go swimming three times a week and do loads of walking. From that level of mobility they will automatically give you zero points for the physical disability/mobility part. Good luck with it!
I agree but I called them about my change in mobility nearly a month ago as I cannot walk or stand without being in horrific pain because of a trapped nerve or neuropathy and I was ignored. I'm still in pain and have no power in my right leg. At all. I cannot get in nor out of my shower/bath never mind a pool. (Sorry if I sound grouchy) I've been told off friends that only active people get trap nerves.I only started swimming and walking to improve mt bgs but has made my health worse. On more tablets not less. :-(

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Me and my partner had jobs in London so paid hundreds of thousands of pounds to the tax man and thousands of NI. We need some financial support and have relocated next to my family to help with our 2 young children as diabetes is only the tip of our Iceberg! :-(

Duncan57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I agree but I called them about my change in mobility nearly a month ago as I cannot walk or stand without being in horrific pain because of a trapped nerve or neuropathy and I was ignored. I'm still in pain and have no power in my right leg. At all. I cannot get in nor out of my shower/bath never mind a pool. (Sorry if I sound grouchy) I've been told off friends that only active people get trap nerves.I only started swimming and walking to improve mt bgs but has made my health worse. On more tablets not less. :-(
You are getting Disability Living Allowance or Personal Indepence Payments?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
You are getting Disability Living Allowance or Personal Indepence Payments?
Neither. I've just applied for pip but they want to know if I'm on esa and I wasn't but just been placed on my partner's joint esa whilst on appeal. Partner is a wreck after being attacked by a gang of 8 and then his brother committing suicide just after. He'll never be the same man again. It's screwed him up. He cannot function well. He'd be a danger to a boss and himself. The stress and trauma has turned him cockoo. He had a breakdown at work and faced a disciplinary for being late for work. Then they paid him off due to longterm sickness. He has gone through some awful times recently. Too much.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Bottom line is that there needs to be documented evidence of health problems from all the professionals involved, or applications for both ESA and PIP stand little chance. Criteria for PIP is that you have had a condition for more than three months, and are likely to have it for another 9 months. It's about the help you need because of that condition and how it affects you personally in your daily living, travelling, at home with stairs, standing to cook - that type of stuff. Same goes for your partner and the ESA, they don't give a **** about what happened, only which boxes are ticked in regards to points. This is why it is so important to have supporting evidence, too many people go in unprepared, thinking that their view of their condition and how it affects them is good enough - it's not. Most of the time anyway..

Hope all goes well.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thanks @ladybird64.
I won't assume to know how it all works. Never claimed for anything and I'm finding the whole experience very humiliating and I just wouldn't even claim if I didn't have the kids to provide for. They deserve a happy and 'normal' life.
We didn't have kids to live on hand outs. We had children when money was no problem and we were in good health.
Funny how life has a nac of kicking you in the teeth when you least expect it. :'(

Duncan57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Neither. I've just applied for pip but they want to know if I'm on esa and I wasn't but just been placed on my partner's joint esa whilst on appeal. Partner is a wreck after being attacked by a gang of 8 and then his brother committing suicide just after. He'll never be the same man again. It's screwed him up. He cannot function well. He'd be a danger to a boss and himself. The stress and trauma has turned him cockoo. He had a breakdown at work and faced a disciplinary for being late for work. Then they paid him off due to longterm sickness. He has gone through some awful times recently. Too much.
I would recommend that your partner also apply for PIP. Have you got a local CAB who can help?