I'm quitting insulin tomorrow

NickHomme

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No more insulin for me guys.. completely tired of it.
If I die that means it is my time to...

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
While you have a choice to use insulin or not, how did things get to this point? What you are essentially expressing is suicidal thinking, and I urge you to talk to someone - friends, family, or a helpline. I'm sure the NHS Direct people on 111 could put you through to the right kind of person.

It's not a case of "if I die" - I'm sure you know enough about type 1 diabetes to know that if you quit insulin you will eventually die. Please talk to us, tell us what's going on for you. I have no doubt that others have said the same thing about their T1 on this forum in the past. People here are very supportive and kind. Let them help you.

Reactions: 2 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Take some deep breaths..

I think anyone with this would like to think there is a point at which we can stop doing this, however please think of those around you, how much impact this would have on them. Living a life well is about taking care of yourself, doing what you need to do to survive. Don't give up its too easy to do that, accept what you have to and take care care of yourself.

Sounds like you need some coping strategies, try an art class, a walk in the park, meditation, deep breathing, whatever floats your boat, I found jumping out a plane theraputic, made me feel very alive again.

I hope a new day brings fresh thinking for you and let us know how you are ?

Reactions: 6 people

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Aw dear, you sound really desperate to have taken that decision. Come on, come and talk to us, what has gone so wrong and what do you need help with? Tons of us on here would be willing to try and help you, whereabouts in the country/world are you? Please come back online and talk things through as I am sure there will be a gazillion ideas to figure out the problems.

xx

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
Life can be so much fun. I have been diabetic for 23 years and have had many ups and downs and frustrations, BUT once you have the right tools to self manage your condition you can then focus some (not all though) on other parts of your life and really a lot of people are having a lot of fun out there so you just need to find and join them. Keep sane and safe and enjoy.

Reactions: 4 people

EveryCloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am thinking maybe we should call someone, the police? This is obviously suicidal behaviour and having been there myself and having an intervention saved me. I am gravely concerned for the poster's well being.

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am thinking maybe we should call someone, the police? This is obviously suicidal behaviour and having been there myself and having an intervention saved me. I am gravely concerned for the poster's well being.

I agree but, without knowing where he lives it's hard to get help.

EveryCloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The police can usually find people using IP addresses.

NickHomme

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so much everyone for your kind words.. truly appreciate them.
Let me explain myself a little better:

I'm not a religious person, however I believe in reincarnation and progression of the soul…
I was diagnosed 7 years ago, at 30, when was hospitalized 2 weeks with severe keatoacidosis and almost died.
From there I have taken care of my diabetes pretty good, counting every carb I eat and injecting properly, in the past years I've only had a couple of hypo and hyper…
The thing is, I truly believe we are here on earth, on this particular life to give and receive, to teach and learn everything we are capable of… until the time comes when our soul is done with this existence and therefore we need to progress.. to reincarnate in another person or animal, on this planet or perhaps another…
Well I think my time to die came 7 years ago, now I depend of taking insulin shots to survive, that's certainly not natural… what if a new med is invented that could make us live for hundreds of years? Would it be good to take it?
I'm not depressed, but I'm also not afraid of death, for me to die is another step of our existence and should be accepted as a gift, just as we take life as a precious gift… To play with the laws that foresees our existence is a dangerous game… what if I'm doing more wrong to my soul trying to survive when my soul is ready for the next step...

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What's "natural"? Is giving birth in a hospital natural? Weren't you born in one? Are supermarkets natural? Or do you grow all your own food and hunt game? Are buses and trains and cars natural? Or do you walk everywhere barefoot? Seriously, human ingenuity and problem solving are "natural"? And insulin and medical treatments are also natural. Poor argument for death, matey. This is your destiny. And it's good. Carry on counting carbs and injecting, and find many more natural things to do here.

Reactions: 12 people

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
What was the reason for your original post ! Why did you join the forum to post that as a first message !

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging

I'm not a religious person, however I believe in reincarnation and progression of the soul…
I was diagnosed 7 years ago, at 30, when was hospitalized 2 weeks with severe keatoacidosis and almost died.
From there I have taken care of my diabetes pretty good, counting every carb I eat and injecting properly, in the past years I've only had a couple of hypo and hyper…
The thing is, I truly believe we are here on earth, on this particular life to give and receive, to teach and learn everything we are capable of… until the time comes when our soul is done with this existence and therefore we need to progress.. to reincarnate in another person or animal, on this planet or perhaps another…
Well I think my time to die came 7 years ago, now I depend of taking insulin shots to survive, that's certainly not natural… what if a new med is invented that could make us live for hundreds of years? Would it be good to take it?
I'm not depressed, but I'm also not afraid of death, for me to die is another step of our existence and should be accepted as a gift, just as we take life as a precious gift… To play with the laws that foresees our existence is a dangerous game… what if I'm doing more wrong to my soul trying to survive when my soul is ready for the next step...

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No more insulin for me guys.. completely tired of it.
If I die that means it is my time to...

What can I say @NickHomme ?

You are younger than my son who was diagnosed T1 in his late teens nearly twenty years ago. He knew he was very ill at diagnosis. But he persevered with his control and got through those dark days with the help of a great group of school and college friends. He is married now with two lovely children and a lovely wife who understands when he has those moments he doesn't feel quite right. The kids too have a remarkable understanding of being diabetic. I remember my granddaughter when she was two years old talking to one of her dolls and saying, " His sugars are low; he needs some sugar!"

I too was diagnosed T1 nearly six years ago and also know how awful you feel when in DKA. With the knowledge I gained from my son, I quickly accepted my diagnosis and have remained in control of diabetes. Diabetes does not control me. I sometimes feel that it wouldn't matter if I didn't wake up in the morning. But, I have to wake up. I really have too much still to do. One of my ambitions and hopes is to be a great grandmother. That certainly would not happen if I stopped injecting insulin in the foreseeable future..

Last edited by a moderator:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
if insulin is keeping you alive... Well thats good...isn't it?

Nothing is natural In our world anymore....so why get hung up about insulin?

I sometimes think what on earth is human purpose. Really its procreation and rearing off spring. I failed on that side of things. I can never really seenany other reason for
Humans being here.

I think when my time is done its done. For me I suspect I will go to the dignitas clinic at some point in the future but that won't be insulin or diabetes related.

Just don't get the angle or the stance you are taking on insulin being an un-natural
product.

Last edited by a moderator:

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.

I'm not afraid of death either. Based on lack of evidence, I believe when we die, our consciousness ceases to exist. Sounds harsh, but on the other hand I find it very enlivening because it focuses my attention on living this life to the full.

The growth of technology over thousands of years has enabled humans to extend their lives. All our lives were extended several times without us probably knowing, thanks to modern obstetric care, antibiotics, sanitation, and the way our societies are organised so we are largely safe from being murdered by another tribe or by animals.

You just happen to have benefited from the technology available when your pancreas failed. This is a gift, and those who died from diabetes 100 years ago would have given anything to have the gift you have. You've been given a chance to make the world a better place by staying alive as long as possible. There are things you can give to the world that no one else can. Allowing yourself to die would deny those things.

You believe that there is an existence beyond physical death and you are gambling on that being true. But there is solid evidence that in the life you currently have, there are things to do and people to help. Personally I value that which has evidence of being real. And I want to give back to the world, in gratitude for the numerous times modern technology saved my life.

The definition of faith is belief without evidence, and it is seen as a virtue by many people, religious and non religious. Reality is often hard but I wouldn't trade it for something that is based on faith.

Reactions: 7 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Our existance is a gift.. So why want to cut it short when living our lives are ok?

Gifts give pleasure and learning and so much more.

From that learning good things can happen... Instead of our gift of life beeing shortened we can use our gift of life for educating and helping others.

I'm certainly not religous but I do often ponder the human race as a whole.. More on the lines of why we exist and how to extend knowledge and good things rather than why don't we give up.

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you do believe this, then it is your duty to survive in order for you to help others. Causing your own death limits your ability to help others so you should try to extend your life as much as possible. This is not to say that you shouldn't enjoy life for yourself and have new experiences as you can learn from these too.

Why you think you should die because of 'unnatural' methods I'm not sure, if a child needs a heart transplant would you really say that they deserve to die? The child's heart doesn't work just as your pancreas doesn't work properly this doesn't mean there is a need to die. When you eat or drink you are preventing your own death, this is is the case regardless of whether someone has diabetes. What I mean when I say that is, there is no 'natural order of being' for humans, most of the actions we take are to prolong our lives.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

The wife wrote something for her dead animals that she photographs .. it was something like ..
If I could not be dead for a day
what would I do
what would I say
I would tell you I am sorry for leaving
I would try to stay
I would hold you so close

I think she is saying that once your gone there is no going back .. we are here for a reason .. you are alive now for a reason .. don't leave this life until you find the reason .. stay as long as you can out of respect for others, others who have lost their lives and would give anything not to be dead for a day.

Reactions: 5 people