Flu jab

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get it every year now...had proper flu only once but it was truly awful...as noblehead said..I couldn't lift my head off the pillow...proper grim. I gave it a miss one year and managed to pick up every cold and bug going...sure it's not connected but always seems that if I have it I tend not to pick up all the normal bugs that everyone else gets.

Reactions: 5 people

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I always get the flu jab and have never had an issue with it, I work with immunosuppressed people so I feel it's especially important for me to have plus if you are in regular contact with vulnerable people like the elderly or children then you are protecting them as well as yourself. I had real flu once, once was enough for me, I don't ever remember feeling so ill and the after effects lasted for weeks. Seeing young people completely struck down by flu in my line of work and having multi-organ failure and having to undergo horrific procedures in an attempt to save their lives just compounds the issue. If me having the flu jab reduces that happening to me or others then it's a simple choice

Reactions: 13 people

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Had the flu jab last season but did have the flu (not the man flu) for the first time in 25 years, but it's worth having.

Reactions: 2 people

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband and I have been having them for the last 15 years we have never had a problem with it and have never had flu

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The flu jab does not protect against the common cold
CAROL

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I'm intolerant to a lot of products and tablets so perhaps this is the reason why 2 years ago I was so ill after flu jab for 6 months

I also don't like reading in the media (afterwards) that they had the wrong cocktail mix that year for the fku jabs.

It isn't just vulnerable adults with critical illnesses this year either. They are trying to get up to 4 year olds to have the nasal vaccinations...and of course carers. Suprisingly though in the NHS itself the uptake is very small.

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
I have only ever had the flu once and that was when I was about 15 years old (1983) and I thought I was going to die. It was awful. I had been diabetic for only about 2 years.

I always, always get a yearly flu jab. Now I'm nearly 34 years a Type 1 it's even more important as my immune system is much weaker than it was when I was 15 years old due to the diabetes.

I have never at any time had an issue with having the flu jab, though I can only talk for myself !

hanham97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Can anyone advise me please I am type1 and been offered flu jab but I have heard so many things from people that have had it some good some bad I really dnt know to have it or not many thanx
Always been fine for me.

G

graj0

Can anyone advise me please I am type1 and been offered flu jab but I have heard so many things from people that have had it some good some bad I really dnt know to have it or not many thanx
Pleased to say that after having the flu jab for many years now, I've not had any bad reactions . . . . . . or flu. It might just be that you will have to have it to see how you react. Scientifically there is no proof that being injected with a dead virus will make you ill, however it will stimulate your immune system to make antibodies to the strains of flu in the vaccine. Another strain could hit you, who knows?

bluebel1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
I have had the flu jab for years and lve never had a reaction against it (not even just a sneeze!) Flu can be so dangerous for us type 1's it's just not worth taking the risk imo.

Croc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sea filth!
As I've only had flu twice in my life (aged52) i don't bother. I'm not due it again I'm about 70 anyway.

kjsmith

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Judgemental people
I had mine for the first time last Autumn because of my heart problem and I can honestly say it was a brilliant decision, no side effects at all. I haven't even had a sniffle over the past 12 months. I'm booked in for next month so it'll hopefully be the same.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had flu jab most autumns in the 20 years I've had type 1 diabetes and have never had an adverse reaction beyond a slightly sore arm for about 24 hours. I have it not so much to protect myself as to make it impossible for me to pass infection to someone who hasn't been immunised.

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
As I've only had flu twice in my life (aged52) i don't bother. I'm not due it again I'm about 70 anyway.
If you are 52, then you should be having it every year not wait until you are 70 this years vaccination will only cover you for this year and every year the vaccine changes so you really do need to keep up with it

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
been having mine for 5-6 year ( I missed last year ) but will make sure I have it again this year, no bad reactions apart from the normal dead arm feeling

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Don't worry, I always get flu, It's not a big deal
Do you mean you always get the flu injection and it's not a big deal, or that you get a cold, and it's not a big deal?

Ailidh

I've had it for the last 2 years, courtesy of lymphoma. Both times I just had an achy arm, although last year the ache went on a long time, doctor wondered if nurse had nicked something. Had the pneumonia jab for the first time (only time) last week - same ache but it's subsiding, tho I wouldn't like anyone to punch it yet. Flu jab this morning.

Minnie45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just answered a similar thread but yes I always have one, I had flu as a teenager and ended up with DKA and body couldn't fight the infection/virus, seriously ill in hospital for weeks. Since then I've had the flu jab every year without fail. I still have had flu but the severity was significantly less.