Poll: Which diabetes course(s) have you attended?

Which of the following structured diabetes education courses have you attended?

• DAFNE

Votes: 122 18.8%
  • DESMOND

Votes: 122 18.8%
  • X-PERT

Votes: 70 10.8%
  • ASPIRE

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Freedom4Life

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Other (Please state in a post)

Votes: 67 10.3%
  • Never attended one

Votes: 291 44.8%

• Total voters

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest when my GP told me I had this issue Diabetes, I just thought no not another issues I already have a spinal injury and all that goes with this and now this. The GP who does try to help me gave me a sheet of paper with a few words of advice written on which said lose weight, end your sugar intake, and diet with food with no sugar .

I was then told my local clinic would be contacting me to tell me when they would be asking me to attend, so far all I've had was full up long waiting list no idea when you can come.

I get most of my advice from the On-line forums and the NHS, I'd stay away from the American ones as they seem to think they can cure this illness by simply either following a diet or in fact taking a magic drug that cost a fortune, you can of course control it but not cure it or at least not yet. Science is looking at ways of making the issues easy to control or perhaps cure in the future but not yet.

But cuts back in funding are seriously making this illness become more serious to people who may not have computers.

I've learnt more from this forum than anywhere else (last hba1c 5.1%). I rang diabetes America and to be honest they seem to have a better idea than our lot (UK). When I rang Diabetes UK (the official one) they asked me how much sugar I was eating and then told me I wasn't eating enough sugar and should aim for 90 grams per day (that's 30 grams more than the dentist recommend because of tooth decay!). I am still waiting to go in a Desmond course. I was offered a place last November which I wasn't available and was told they'd get back in touch in the new year, still waiting.

KimDaleManor

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I attended DESMONDS last year and found it informative in Rochdale and found out a lot by asking probing questions around the material being delivered - sometimes with these things you get out what you put in as long as the people delivering are knowledgable which in my case she was.

Reactions: 2 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Following an annual blood check (I have hyperthyroidism) I was told by my GP that my HBa1c had gone from 47 last year to 49 and I was now diabetic. This was a month ago. It was obviously a great shock. She said she wouldn't be putting me on medication but would refer me for a DESMOND course, and make an appointment for me to see the practice nurse.
I got a letter from the DESMOND clinic a couple of days later, inviting me to ring for an appointment. I left it for a couple of days as It was still sinking in and I was still in denial, thinking 49 was only slightly higher than 47 and I couldn't really be diabetic. I didn't have any of the symptoms.
When I rang, they asked me if I could attend a course the next day. I am retired so that was fine with me. I think they must overbook the course in case people don't turn up. And that proved to be the case, two didn't show, so there were 9 of us.
The course was from 9.30-4.30 with a 30 minute lunch - we were provided with wholemeal bread chicken/salad/chicken salad sandwiches, water/coffee/tea, and Rich Tea biscuits.

I thought the course was useful for me as I didn't know anything about diabetes. I hadn't known what HBa1c 47 or 49 meant. This was explained so I understood. I only wish I had been referred when I was at 47 as I would have taken more action with diet and exercise to avoid going into the diabetes range.
We didn't get the 'Healthy Plate' thing mentioned by previous posters. The advice was to cut down saturated fats, sugar, and control portion sizes of carbohydrates, and exercise.
We were told we could have 'treats' like a bit of cake or chocolate, as long as we limited them.

I just wish I had been referred last year. There was one person on the course who was borderline diabetic, so it seems I could have been referred earlier.

I saw the GP Surgery practice nurse a couple of days later. She did the feet test which was ok, she said I should wear shoes indoors to protect my feet, and rub them with foot cream (I have yet to get some). She said the DESMOND course was good. She also referred me for the retinal eye test, but I haven't heard anything about that yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

GillKat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes!
I have been a diabetic diagnosed in 2003 but from 2005 when I moved here went into nearly denial because the doctors are so terrible. Still same doctors and useless.

Originally a dietician was brought in from St Thomas in London and my drink was red coke and really didnt drink much else and he said if I wanted to drink it have a slice of granary bread first!

The doctor had said baked potatoes etc were good for me but to try and keep sugar intake down.

I go tomorrow to the 6th and last day on the ExPERT course and have to say it stresses me out so much and tried all the carb stuff with high sugar and it totally messed my levels up. That was about 3 weeks ago and now struggling to keep things in check as they have made me desire all the no go stuff again........one very sweet thing and I am back on the spiral down!

I was referred to a dietician by the diabetic consultant at hospital as my eyes have been damaged but they dont send you to one any more but on this course.

I wasnt well last week so missed it but as last week and hopefully I MIGHT get some useful info about exercise courses amd venues I have to go.

However they are using the info given by NICE in 1995! They have a new book Vol 11 out which apparently has the low carb hight fat info in although NICE have not approved it.

I dont think thats for me either as cant eat a lot of things so going to carry on my own way that I started in Jul and try not to stray too much onto the NICE stuff or I will be dumping all the real food and living on doughnuts ROFL

My levels bear no resemblence to what they were , way down now but still waiting to see consultant for the second time in 2 months which was a month ago!!

Katief31

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ask your hospital about the Dane course. I'd recommend the course to anyone who is struggling with everything to do with diabetes.

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just completed my dafne course, I'm 6 months post diagnosis. My DNS is the course leader but even though she'd taught me the 'dafne' way since day 1, I still learnt a lot. Especially around adjustments which I was always terrified about!
It's hard going and I'd say a couple of candidates didn't grasp it at all.

Klangley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Never offered one, never attended one.

From what I have read here I am sure they are of benefit to some people. Personally though I am put off by the whole 'healthy plate' approach. I guess I wouldn't know which bits of the course I can trust and which bits are last century. I am convinced that a high carb, low fat history are what got me here. I don't need anyone telling me I can indulge my cravings for carbs.....I have the evil voices in my head to do that :)

The course was from 9.30-4.30 with a 30 minute lunch - we were provided with wholemeal bread chicken/salad/chicken salad sandwiches, water/coffee/tea, and Rich Tea biscuits.

I wouldn't eat sandwiches (even with whole-wheat bread) at home. I have seen what that does to my blood sugar. The idea of these being served for lunch on a Diabetic course tells me all I need to know.

Steve Squire

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Start the ExPERT course next week after being Type 2 for 13 years with very little support so no managed well. Found out today I have heart failure on my left side and old working at 20% of normal. Anyone tell me how they found thenExPERT course

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
I am type 2. I have never been offered a place. The only advice I have really been given by my GP and DN is to cut down on sweet things and to avoid Heinz tomato Soup and pears.

Zand, if only I'd had a doctor as good as yours..I would not have been living off tomato soup and pears for the past six months...oh. well. :rolleyes:

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Diagnosed in April with Type 2 following a transplant. I've seen maybe a dozen renal doctors (all very good in their area and very good communicators, and I can't criticize them..but..not one mentioned any kind of course....which I could certainly have used. I saw a diabetic nurse (I think that meant she worked with diabetic patients rather than she was diabetic herself - sorry, had to) and she gave me a meter and sent me on my way. I don't need a course now thanks to testing regularly and starting a food diary and a low carb diet. This site/community has been a great source since I joined about ten days or so ago. I'm still waiting on an appointment with a diabetologist (if that is even a word and not just a myth) and have been since asking for one about two months ago. I'm doing ok though and have come off my meds (less-than-thrilled doctor informed).

Annieok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been referred for a DESMOND course in December. It's only around the corner and I can fit it in with my working from home schedule. But I've also self-referred to the Xpert course in the new year. Xpert HQ is based in my town and my friend works for them. She has given me both of Trudi Deakin's books which advocate the LCHF approach. The 6 week course is self-referral and you can book on it through their website. And on Saturday (World Diabetes Day), Xpert are having a coffee morning here in Hebden Bridge if anyone is nearby. Details are here http://www.xperthealth.org.uk/Portals/0/Downloads/XPert Health Poster.docx.pdf

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
Been diabetic Type 2 since 1999, never been offered any sort of course, maybe they didn't have any when I was diagnosed or maybe they're for people who are newly diagnosed....?

babsy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Blood Tests Injections MRI Scans (particuarly) cooked white cabbage and Cornish Pasties
I've been on two Nhs diabetic courses one full day and one half day I found them both very interesting and very helpful I also see my diabetic nurse twice a year but I can see her almost anytime either in person or have a telephone call from her I do suffer from raging oestoarthritis and copd which means I'm on a hatful of drugs daily but I get fantastic care my podiatrist is great and I go to central Bristol for retinopathy
(I live on the North Somerset coast) all in all I'm delighted
In my diabetic care

babsy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Blood Tests Injections MRI Scans (particuarly) cooked white cabbage and Cornish Pasties
Both of the Nhs courses were initially organised through my diabetic nurse and my gp I received letters through the post with dates and was able to choose dates that suited me and the missus
The whole day one was called living with diabetes and the half day was a follow up it should have been six months but cos of other health issues was a year later my missus not a diabetic was allowed on both