Which Bread?

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lidl High Protein rolls are great. They are so dense that a half will fill you up for hours. I haven't noticed a spike with them at all so you can imagine my excitement when my local Lidl started stocking them! I wiped them out of their stash and froze them all. Have it with pate, ham, philadlephia or cheese. scrumptious!

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You buy them individually out of the fresh bread baskets.

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a slice of pumpernickel bread every morning 55 g and 20 g of carbs it does not affect my blood sugar significantly I spread it with coconut butter and Marmite

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all . I think that to exclude any food groups it not a good thing . High carb intake is bad but I think no carbs is bad to . Changing the type of carbs we eat seems to be the way forward . For me this has worked but I guess it's not the same for all . I do think that processed foods are not the best things we can eat
Clive

Reactions: 2 people

Lee Riley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fatties who insist on using excuses.
Hi all . I think that to exclude any food groups it not a good thing . High carb intake is bad but I think no carbs is bad to . Changing the type of carbs we eat seems to be the way forward . For me this has worked but I guess it's not the same for all . I do think that processed foods are not the best things we can eat
Clive
ALL things in moderation. You're right, no carbs is not good... In fact, no carbs is impossible. I challenge someone to try zero carbs for a month... Pwahahaha

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi . I think I can find a zero carb diet . Baby bell cheese and butter lol

Klangley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum @Yerusha

I speak from the huge experience of 2 weeks on the forum, so bear that in mind.

Bread in virtually all its forms is high in carbs. I personally would much rather take my carbs from fresh green leafy vegetables, which ultimately leave my hunger more satisfied. I do miss bread of course but it sends my blood sugar very high. I personally find it easier to stop something completely rather than wean myself off. But everyone is different.

I bought one of those 'Accu-Chek Mobile' blood testers from Amazon for about £20. No visible needles if that is an issue for you. Best purchase ever. Armed with one of those, you can judge for yourself what affects you (spikes you) and what doesn't.

Good luck

Reactions: 10 people

lindisfel

Expert
Hi,
Does anyone know what these Lidl high protein rolls are made of?
I was wondering if one could get the ingredients could a similiar bread be made in a bread maker?
Thanks
Derek

MaryCanary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For the last few days I have kept my blood glucose down between 4.6 and 7.4 (only diagnosed 3 weeks ago and am very pleased with the lower numbers since following the LCHF diet). However, this morning, just to experiment, I ate two small slices of white bread and tested two hours later - from the FBG reading earlier, of 4.6, it had shot up to 10.2. That's the first time I have seen this high number and is pretty much conclusive evidence to me that I can't take bread! Sad, because I do love a bit of toast, but I love my arms and legs and eyesight more!

Reactions: 13 people

Trudy2410

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't do ordinary bread either but try a protein roll from Lidl I can tolerate half of one with no spike and they are really lovely

FloraDora

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Does anyone know what these Lidl high protein rolls are made of?
I was wondering if one could get the ingredients could a similiar bread be made in a bread maker?
Thanks
Derek
Hi Derek, I managed to track this down on the internet.........

Lidl High Protein Rolls
Ingredients:
Water, Linseeds, Wheat Protein, Soya Flour, Whole Wheat Flour, Sesame, Soybean Meal, Sunflower Seeds, Wheat Bran, Oat Fiber, Yeast, Salt, Colouring Spice Extracts (Curcuma).

Nutritional Information:
Typical Values per 100g:
Energy 1194kJ/268kcal
Fat 13.4g (Of which saturates 0.4g)
Carbohydrate 8.5g (Of which sugars 0.5g)
Fibre 12.4g
Protein 26.7g
Salt 0.99g

Reactions: 6 people

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Derek, I managed to track this down on the internet.........

Lidl High Protein Rolls
Ingredients:
Water, Linseeds, Wheat Protein, Soya Flour, Whole Wheat Flour, Sesame, Soybean Meal, Sunflower Seeds, Wheat Bran, Oat Fiber, Yeast, Salt, Colouring Spice Extracts (Curcuma).

Nutritional Information:
Typical Values per 100g:
Energy 1194kJ/268kcal
Fat 13.4g (Of which saturates 0.4g)
Carbohydrate 8.5g (Of which sugars 0.5g)
Fibre 12.4g
Protein 26.7g
Salt 0.99g

Hi Flora,
Thank you for the information, I shall now have to get some ingredients and have a go.
As I suspected Lidl rolls have too much salt for my condition.
best wishes
Derek

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I was looking at that the other day

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does anyone else eat the Lidl low GI bread? I find I can eat that without too much of a spike, it's delicious too and a lot easier to digest than the rolls.