Lee Riley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fatties who insist on using excuses.
Welcome to the forum @Yerusha

I speak from the huge experience of 2 weeks on the forum, so bear that in mind.

Bread in virtually all its forms is high in carbs. I personally would much rather take my carbs from fresh green leafy vegetables, which ultimately leave my hunger more satisfied. I do miss bread of course but it sends my blood sugar very high. I personally find it easier to stop something completely rather than wean myself off. But everyone is different.

I bought one of those 'Accu-Chek Mobile' blood testers from Amazon for about £20. No visible needles if that is an issue for you. Best purchase ever. Armed with one of those, you can judge for yourself what affects you (spikes you) and what doesn't.

Good luck
Accu-Chek Mobile would be great, if it didn't force you to use all strips within a month. If you don't use them, the meter will not read them.

Reactions: 2 people

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Derek, I managed to track this down on the internet.........

Lidl High Protein Rolls
Ingredients:
Water, Linseeds, Wheat Protein, Soya Flour, Whole Wheat Flour, Sesame, Soybean Meal, Sunflower Seeds, Wheat Bran, Oat Fiber, Yeast, Salt, Colouring Spice Extracts (Curcuma).

Nutritional Information:
Typical Values per 100g:
Energy 1194kJ/268kcal
Fat 13.4g (Of which saturates 0.4g)
Carbohydrate 8.5g (Of which sugars 0.5g)
Fibre 12.4g
Protein 26.7g
Salt 0.99g
Thanks for the info FloraD. I really wish we had those in Australia! Sounds really good. :)

Oh well, they say Lidl is coming to Aus soon. I'll definitely be looking out for these if they do.

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Flora,
Thank you for the information, I shall now have to get some ingredients and have a go.
As I suspected Lidl rolls have too much salt for my condition.
best wishes
Derek
I've been thinking about trying to make my own bread along similar lines to this as well Derek, The real killer as far as sourcing ingredients go is the wheat protein (gluten). So far what I've been able to find is ridiculously expensive, about 50 times the price of the equiv amount of ordinary flour. Seriously no exaggeration 50x, as in $25 (inc postage) for a quantity similar to 50 cents worth of plain flour. :(

I can't wait for Lidl to open stores here in Australia now.

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been thinking about trying to make my own bread along similar lines to this as well Derek, The real killer as far as sourcing ingredients go is the wheat protein (gluten). So far what I've been able to find is ridiculously expensive, about 50 times the price of the equiv amount of ordinary flour. Seriously no exaggeration 50x, as in $25 (inc postage) for a quantity similar to 50 cents worth of plain flour. :(

Try using spelt or rye flour. Neither rises as well as wheat, but i can make decent spelt loaf in my bread maker that tastes good and doesn't spike me, even if it is nicely sunk in the middle! The flour isn't expensive and I can get it at the local supermarket.

Margaret

Pura Vida

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try using spelt or rye flour. Neither rises as well as wheat, but i can make decent spelt loaf in my bread maker that tastes good and doesn't spike me, even if it is nicely sunk in the middle! The flour isn't expensive and I can get it at the local supermarket.

Margaret
sounds good ! any idea how much carb per 100 gr ?

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sainsbury do a good loaf called Hi-lo which is high in protein and low in carbs. 100g is 15.6 carbs and 10.2 fibre. Thus doesn't spike my blood sugars. The slices are quite small and it is expensive (£1.70) but generally lasts a few days. I am going to give spelt a go in the bread maker too

Nigelh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I make my own soda bread using wholemeal flour and a little candarel.. its smells orrid but tastes lovely with butter. I added dry roasted peanuts into my last one.. i like to experiment. Ive also successfully made a sugar free custard which looked orrid...but tasted fab.. ive yet to make something that looks good!

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Marks & Spencers do a spelt bread which is tasty, I can do 2 slices without a spike - but it is £1.30 for a small loaf

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Made my own spelt bread yesterday and was very hopeful. 5.3 before a slice with butter and 7.6 two hours later. I guess I won't be having that again.

Pipey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I make my own, and usually do half and half, but my favourite is Wessex Mills onion flour and I add sunflower seeds to it. I also buy their Rolled Porridge Oats. All my bread flour is Wessex Mill from Wantage.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bread spikes me and I don't love bread enough to suffer it.

My husband really loves bread, but has NCGS so no wheat or gluten in the house now. I don't want to tempt him into eating something that will make him ill.

Fortunately for him, Warburtons has come up with the Newburn Bakehouse gluten-free range including a sourdough and he falls on the Ocado delivery with the same kind of lemme-at-it, that he had for Gail's olive bread.

As yet, no-one has produced an organic gluten-free low carb bread but who knows, it may happen.

I don't see bread as an integral part of a healthy diet however. I've read 'Wheat Belly' by Dr William Davis M.D., 'Grain Brain' by Dr David Perlmutter M.D. and 'Serve to Win' by Novak Djokovic.

Evelynross

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I carefully slice a protein roll into four sheaves, across with a sharp bread knife, works out at 2-3G carbs

emineedwards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not experienced enough to give advice really but I will say that if you read the advice on here regarding the DESMOND course and what the doctors tell you then you're better off ignoring it if you want to either get off meds or stay off meds.

I came on here when I was first diagnosed and decided to go down the LC/HF route (Low carb/High Fat) which is totally against what the Diabetic Nurses and the GPs tell you but if you read the experiences of people that are doing it - it works. This involves doing an Atkins type diet. I'm sure @daisy1 will be along to give you all the info you need to read and absorb which will help you to make informed decisions about what applies to you and what you want to achieve. Good luck xxxx
I agree the LC/HF diet is far better for you

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Made my own spelt bread yesterday and was very hopeful. 5.3 before a slice with butter and 7.6 two hours later. I guess I won't be having that again.

Hi . Have you tried livlife bread it is only about 3.4 carbs per slice after taking of the fibre and it tastes ok to
I get mine from waitrose

sunn49

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi, my advise to you is to get your gp putting you on diabetes education course. this will give you a clear information on diabetic, what you can eat & whats good for you. its the only way to fully understand, get the grip of it & live a normal life again.
like you, i was concerned & confused but my gp had asked me if im interested on going to the course. it was the best decision ive ever made, its a 3 days courses but well worth it. id highly recommended! by the end of the course you wish you knew about the course when you were prediabetes. you could easily reverse back by knowing what to eat with healthy diet.

to put your mind at rest, you can eat pretty much everything but with the right portions & how many calories intake per day. from the course you will learn all that.

with that, all youll need to do is to make sure that whatever you eat, you dont exceed the daily recommendations as below:
Calories: 2000kcal
Total fat: 70g
Saturates: 20g
Total Carbs: 260g
Sugars: 90g
Protein: 50g
Salt: 6g

this is your allowances to eat per day. to understand fully in depth, i highly recommend you to get your gp putting you on dietitian course or youd never be overcome your worries. good luck!

Reactions: 3 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

this is your allowances to eat per day. to understand fully in depth, i highly recommend you to get your gp putting you on dietitian course or youd never be overcome your worries. good luck!

I'm pretty **** sure this would get my HbA1c back through the roof to the bad old days... so much so there is no chance I would even risk it.

I take it you're new in these parts. Could I ask how long you have been eating to this and what your BG's are?
In fact, what's your DB situation?
Cheers

Reactions: 8 people

bmorgen

>I take it you're new in these parts.

Clearly! LOL. 260g is way more than I could handle without a drip-feed of insulin! ;-)

I manage bread in 2 ways. Firstly, those brick-like German breads, such as pumpernickel, are 100% whole-grain with minimal milling of the grain. This seems to significantly slow sugar absorption and so they are low GL even though high in carbs. I cut one slice in half and eat both as my bread portion. They toast nicely. But this is the only kind of off-the-shelf bread I can eat safely.

The other thing I do is bake my own bread from scratch. This in itself doesn't help but I can control what goes into the bread. I use 20% oat bran and a very high-protein wheat flour (both white and stoneground bread flour). 2 thin slices of this low GI bread is fine for my post-prandial BG. The taste of homemade bread is unbeatable.
Another option on the homemade front is Irish Soda Bread which I make with 20% oat bran and 10% whole oat flakes and flax seeds. The balance is brown bread flour. This is much more bread-like than the German bricks and is great for sandwiches and toast.

These high-fibre, high-protein breads are not a panacea. You can't eat unlimited amounts. Portion control is still key but you may find you can manage larger, more satisfying portions of these compared to regular shop bread. Your mileage may vary so TEST TEST TEST!

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi, my advise to you is to get your gp putting you on diabetes education course. this will give you a clear information on diabetic, what you can eat & whats good for you. its the only way to fully understand, get the grip of it & live a normal life again.
like you, i was concerned & confused but my gp had asked me if im interested on going to the course. it was the best decision ive ever made, its a 3 days courses but well worth it. id highly recommended! by the end of the course you wish you knew about the course when you were prediabetes. you could easily reverse back by knowing what to eat with healthy diet.

to put your mind at rest, you can eat pretty much everything but with the right portions & how many calories intake per day. from the course you will learn all that.

with that, all youll need to do is to make sure that whatever you eat, you dont exceed the daily recommendations as below:
Calories: 2000kcal
Total fat: 70g
Saturates: 20g
Protein: 50g
Salt: 6g

Whoa! 260g carbs a day? I'm Type 1, 30 years, working with lower carb (nothing like as strict as some on this forum, through my own choice) over the past year, but even when, years ago, I wasn't, I never approached this quantity of carbs. I'm lucky enough not to have spikes from bread, though even so I never eat more than one slice at a meal, eg lunch. You mention 'right portions' - sounds to me as if some of those portions of carbs must be pretty large!