Statins

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some people do have bad side effects from them but I have taken them for about 7 years and have never had any problems with them if I ever do I will stop taking them

Reactions: 2 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
I too have taken statins for almost 10 yrs without any problems, tho it did take a few weeks at the beginning to get used to them if I remember correctly.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some people do have bad side effects from them but I have taken them for about 7 years and have never had any problems with them if I ever do I will stop taking them

I too have taken statins for almost 10 yrs without any problems, tho it did take a few weeks at the beginning to get used to them if I remember correctly.

Statins have been found to increase the risk of developing T2 by 22%. So if you have been diagnosed as prediabetic or T2 since taking them they may well have harmed you, just because you don't have any side effects as stated on the leaflet, doesn't mean the drugs haven't adversely affected you.

In addition I recently read of a report that said that statins don't benefit women at all, so rather than thinking that they are not harming you, are they really doing you any good?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

lindisfel

Expert
Hi,
I take half a 10mg tablet/day and mine is 3.5 now. (Atorvastatin)
hdl 1.2.
nb. be careful not to mix your ratio (ldl/hdl ) up with levels

Statins can apparently help stop cancer spreading thats if you get it.....according to some reports.
However GP's seem to overdose!
Not much would be needed
for you.
regards
Derek

Last edited by a moderator:

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
I was prescribed statins on diagnosis of t2 as I was heavily overweight and had family history of heart disease. I have recently ( last week) had my dosage halved from 40g to 20g Simvastin daily with the aim of stopping it altogether if my stats are good after next hBa1cc in November. This was at my request after finding this forum last month and changing my diet to lchf. I'm learning all the time from various threads here and from links given. I appreciate your concern,@zand thank you

Wil burn

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
It isn't too late to ask for a print out of your blood results (all of them, not just cholesterol). You really need these so you can make up your mind what to do with all the information in front of you. They will also be useful down the line for comparisons as you will be having these tests regularly for the rest of your life, so very important to know if you are improving or deteriorating.

Doctors like diabetics to have a total cholesterol of under 4, so this will be why statins were pushed on you. As said above, the total cholesterol is meaningless. It is the triglycerides and ratios that are important - and you don't know what these are. So do get a print out. :)
Thanks, I'm going to phone on Monday and ask for them. Stupid of me not to get them but I'm one that's easily rolled over.

Reactions: 3 people

Wil burn

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Statins have been found to increase the risk of developing T2 by 22%. So if you have been diagnosed as prediabetic or T2 since taking them they may well have harmed you, just because you don't have any side effects as stated on the leaflet, doesn't mean the drugs haven't adversely affected you.

In addition I recently read of a report that said that statins don't benefit women at all, so rather than thinking that they are not harming you, are they really doing you any good?
I read that they destroy all the good cholesterol too. No, think my mind is made up.....I'm not doing them.

Reactions: 3 people

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I was diagnosed with a glucose intolerance about 3 years before I started taking statins

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I refused statins when I was diagnosed. Since then, on each blood test I've had, my lipids have improved. This has been done entirely by diet (LCHF) . Triglycerides dropped from 2 to 0.6. HDL up from 1.6 to 2.4. LDL down from 4 to 2.6. It can be done.

Reactions: 4 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was started taking statins when I was diagnosed with an hba1c of 48. This rose to 53 but, when I stopped taking statins for other side effects, my hba1c dropped to 42 - it's now 36. I will not be taking statins again!