Choice of pumps

alohanicky2009

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish , bad manners,
Had some really good news , I am finally going to have a pump (9 years ) been trying , even moved hospitals for my diabetes care ( best thing I did ) , I have a choice of medrontric 640g , Aminas Vibe , and Roche combo / insight , can anybody answer how long they have been on these pumps and what is the best and bad features they love and why they are good for you , I like being outdoors and so spend a lot of time in wet windy weather , also spend a lot of time in sun so looking at pump in sunlight is that a issue

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Had some really good news , I am finally going to have a pump (9 years ) been trying , even moved hospitals for my diabetes care ( best thing I did ) , I have a choice of medrontric 640g , Aminas Vibe , and Roche combo / insight , can anybody answer how long they have been on these pumps and what is the best and bad features they love and why they are good for you , I like being outdoors and so spend a lot of time in wet windy weather , also spend a lot of time in sun so looking at pump in sunlight is that a issue
There seems to be a general thumbs down for the insight so have a good read of peoples comments. Most people seem to like the Medtronic but again a few have had issues with parts breaking on the pump.

Animas is a good little pump but as with most other pumps there are issues with the contrast in strong sunlight. What ever you choose though I'm sure you will like as you have no comparison to make with any other pump you have used.
Which hospital have you ended up at?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
We shouldn't really discuss openly about which hospitals we attend should we?????

Reactions: 2 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know its not one of the options you have stated,but, next time really interested about the omnipod because its tubeless. Although the cartridges are pre filled on the insight how does that stop the bubbles. I pre fill the cartridges for my combo and have to get to body temp at least 4 hours before using to prime bubbles ?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The glass cartridges I believe make the difference for the insight.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I've just swapped to the Animas Vibe this year (I had the Insight but hated it). I'm very pleased with the Vibe :) It's a nice looking little pump, is waterproof, and can use Luer lock sets rather than being tied to its own proprietary ones. I also like the CGM feature, although I'm not using that at the moment as I can't afford it.

I havent found anything I dislike about it yet.

alohanicky2009

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish , bad manners,
Thanks for all the comments , I choose to change to a hospital that had pump clinics ,although it means along trip to next county the understanding ,care and support has been brilliant .

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Did you find swap to hospital outside of County easy? Take it this was outside of your CCG area.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
oh I e-mailed Accu-chek and asked if the hand set was going to have an update the other day, A fella called me yesterday and unfortunatley nothing is happening with the speed etc for the time being

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I prime the line and at the time absolutely no bubbles, once insulin body temp loads of sodding bubbles, been like this since started pumping. Not a problem as long as you re fill cartridge and warn before putting in pump, then prime and no more bubbles.

irrationalJohn

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I have a choice of medrontric 640g , Aminas Vibe , and Roche combo / insight
As was somewhat observed earlier, what does or does not make a pump a good fit for you is often a very personal choice.

While this sort of "which pump?" question pops up frequently in the Diabetic Online Community (#DOC), I frankly am never sure how to respond to it. It's much easier to respond to more specific questions about a particular pump. Usually you won't get strong feedback on general preferences except from the person or three who absolutely loathed (or loved) a pump they have used.

I can't speak from actual experience with any of these pumps. I currently use a Medtronic Paradigm Revel (723) which is 2 generations previous to the 640G. I started with a MiniMed 507 in 1996 and have only used Medtronic/MiniMed pumps since then.

I am in the U.S. so I have absolutely no idea how your system in the UK works in terms of obtaining a pump. But what I always recommend is to try as hard as possible to try out a pump before you are committed. If that is at all possible, it's the best way to find out what might best work for you.

I also use CGM (Continuous Glucose Monitoring) with my pump. I don't know if you have any thoughts one way or another about CGM, but as time passes it is increasingly becoming a significant feature for a pump.

One of the key reasons to consider a 640G is the way in which it integrates CGM into its operation. When it is connected to Medtronic's proprietary CGM, the 640G can be set up to try to predict from the CGM glucose reading an approaching hypo and stop basal insulin delivery 30 minutes in advance. If/when your CGM sensor glucose recovers, it resumes your basal.

This is a nifty feature, especially for those who may have problems with hypoglycemia. However, if you don't (or can't) use Medtronic's CGM, then it's moot.

The Vibe also integrates with a CGM system. It uses the CGM of another manufacturer, the Dexcom G4. At this point the Vibe does not do anything other than receive and display your CGM sensor readings. The Vibe will not act independently on your CGM readings. However, the benefit of the Vibe is that is used the Dex CGM.

The general #DOC opinion seems to be that Dexcom's CGM is easier to use and/or more reliable than Medtronic's. In clinical tests of their CGM which both Dexcom and Medtronic have run, Dexcom to this point always comes up with better accuracy than Medtronic's CGM.

So ... that's what pops into my mind. Perhaps not all that relevant? :oops:

alohanicky2009

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish , bad manners,
To donnellysdogs, yes it was easy to change hospital, it is in the next county , an I only have my diabetic care there, all other medical care I have at main hospital in county I live, my GP is happy and supportive that I changed to a pump lead hospital ,

fozzie84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just started on the insight (one week in) and personally i really get on with it. It's compact, easy to disconnect as needed and seems to have a lot of features, but I'm only just getting to grips with these. Whilst people say the handset is slow, that feedback seems to come from people who have had other pumps. I was fully expecting the handset to be slow, but found it fine. It saves me time calculating stuff so it works for me! I was able to try out cannulas and borrow a pump just to wear for a week before I said yes to the pump, so if you're not sure after researching maybe see if that is an option, or ask if there is anyone who the hospital has on these pumps who you could be put in touch with ☺

Reactions: 6 people

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
is the handset really slow ?

iHs

I prime the line and at the time absolutely no bubbles, once insulin body temp loads of sodding bubbles, been like this since started pumping. Not a problem as long as you re fill cartridge and warn before putting in pump, then prime and no more bubbles.

See......I told ya....glad you could see the common sense in this. I do this on the Vibe as well...no problem

iHs

I met up with someone the other day and showed them how to fill a Combo cartridge using the vial adaptor attached to the pump cartridge underneath and a Novo pen above. The cartridge adaptor was good attached on the end of a pen as all was needed was dial up the insulin on the pen, push the pen plunger down and insulin starts to fill the pump cartridge underneath. Took about 1-2 mins if that. Best thing is that the pen with remaining insulin is handy as a backup. This is really good for Combo users...

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
We shouldn't really discuss openly about which hospitals we attend should we?????
Why not? I didn't ask for name of consultant or any personal details. I guess OP has gone to Exeter, which is a lot better than T where she was before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

alohanicky2009

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish , bad manners,
To iHs no licence back , but have done so much recording of meal contents , carb counting and BG pre and post meals to show the wide range of BS but very few lows , was a plus for a pump and hopeful the DSN hopeful being on a pump will make it easier to get my licence back . :)