Does over eating give you Type 2 diabetes or does diabetes make you over eat

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
T2DM can be a partly genetic thing. Not in my family but husband's mother and daughter are both T2DM and his mother and one of his sisters are both lactose-intolerant too.Husband seems to be the only gluten-intolerant one in his family though.

I mention the intolerance because a fundraising letter from The Soil Association mentions that animal experiments have shown that use of glyphosate (Roundup) at levels permissible in food, causes endocrine system disruption and digestive issues.

Glyphosate is now routinely used to kill and dry out wheat before harvest and can also be used on rice, sweet potatoes, beans, tame oats, flax ,non-GM rape, non-GM soy, lentils, peas, feed barley and sugar cane.

If you Google Roundup harvest staging, you will find a PDF for farmers. Sometimes the crop will be sprayed as little as three days before harvest.

Roundup has been identified by the research arm of the World Health Organisation as a probable human carcinogen. A group of farm workers who have developed cancer after years of using Roundup are now suing Monsanto.

I know that many people will say that organic food is too expensive, but since 2012 I have seen organic prices in supermarkets come down. The more I read about non-organic farming methods and food, the more relieved I am to be avoiding them. I'm not saying that there are no pesticides in organic food at all, but there should be a lot less and glyphosate (Roundup) isn't allowed at all.

Hi . Sorry I meant to post the above comment to you .

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diabetes can also cause obesity so it's a bit of a vicious circle isn't it :)

Hi . That is what new research is starting to find . So the preconceived idea the obesity courses diabetes may be wrong . We will have to wait and see

Clive

Reactions: 2 people

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Cl1ve

Have a look at this video. I find it very persuasive.
I think your friend might benefit from seeing it too.

My own story goes some way to supporting this doctors theory .My mother was a diabetic in her final years and she had never been a pound overweight in her life .She was a gym teacher .

I have just stopped taking Novamix Insulin due to a rapid weight gain that my doctor tells me is common on Insulin . I was diagnosed in 2013 and have had very poor results in control .Previous to this I only started to have weight problems six or seven years ago when I developed high blood pressure .I was given meds that seemed to whack the weight on .At that time I was very active at both work and at home .Over the past years I have felt constantly thirsty ,tired,and never seemed to feel full .I don't eat junk food ,never have .I have a cholesterol of 2.7 and that hasn't changed much in years .In fact in reality my diet hasn't changed very much either .Certainly not enough to explain away the constant weight gain I have suffered over the last few years .I have a plateau weight that I refuse to go above at any cost and I hit that weight two weeks ago .Since stopping the Insulin I literally dropped close on a stone in those two weeks .I had been prescribed Victoza but it just wasn't for me .Walking around with constant nausea was just not happening I'm going back on to Metformin along with my Januvia .
I have to say I expected uproar from my GP about giving up on Insulin but instead he seemed to completely understand .My BG has remained very high through all combinations of medications and although I expected a massive difference on Insulin it didn't materialise ! I was still getting daily readings of 15mm/27mm.Low carbing is clearly just common sense but whilst it slightly improves my figures it's very hit and miss .All of this does suggest that there is something going on that's hidden .I have sticks for my urine and they show my urine is constantly flooded with glucose despite me avoiding sugars of all descriptions as much as possible .Frankly I'm just fed up of it all .

I shall continue to fight the weight gain in the hopes that it will certainly help and yes i do have other health problems but having just taken yet another 2 hour after meal reading of 24 It feels like banging my head against a brick wall .

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi . That is what new research is starting to find . So the preconceived idea the obesity courses diabetes may be wrong . We will have to wait and see

Clive

I'm still with the theory I was overweight, overeating, for many years, with no issues.

Then eventually I had diabetic symptoms.

Then I lost weight, and the diabetes equally went into remission.
So, I accepted being overweight was the problem, and when I fixed that, indeed, it seemed to be correct for me.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My own story goes some way to supporting this doctors theory .My mother was a diabetic in her final years and she had never been a pound overweight in her life .She was a gym teacher .

I have just stopped taking Novamix Insulin due to a rapid weight gain that my doctor tells me is common on Insulin . I was diagnosed in 2013 and have had very poor results in control .Previous to this I only started to have weight problems six or seven years ago when I developed high blood pressure .I was given meds that seemed to whack the weight on .At that time I was very active at both work and at home .Over the past years I have felt constantly thirsty ,tired,and never seemed to feel full .I don't eat junk food ,never have .I have a cholesterol of 2.7 and that hasn't changed much in years .In fact in reality my diet hasn't changed very much either .Certainly not enough to explain away the constant weight gain I have suffered over the last few years .I have a plateau weight that I refuse to go above at any cost and I hit that weight two weeks ago .Since stopping the Insulin I literally dropped close on a stone in those two weeks .I had been prescribed Victoza but it just wasn't for me .Walking around with constant nausea was just not happening I'm going back on to Metformin along with my Januvia .
I have to say I expected uproar from my GP about giving up on Insulin but instead he seemed to completely understand .My BG has remained very high through all combinations of medications and although I expected a massive difference on Insulin it didn't materialise ! I was still getting daily readings of 15mm/27mm.Low carbing is clearly just common sense but whilst it slightly improves my figures it's very hit and miss .All of this does suggest that there is something going on that's hidden .I have sticks for my urine and they show my urine is constantly flooded with glucose despite me avoiding sugars of all descriptions as much as possible .Frankly I'm just fed up of it all .

I shall continue to fight the weight gain in the hopes that it will certainly help and yes i do have other health problems but having just taken yet another 2 hour after meal reading of 24 It feels like banging my head against a brick wall .
Have you looked into the work of Dr Jason Fung and the use of fasting for Type 2's? He seems to be having a lot of success with his patients.

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Funny you should mention that @Indy51 .I'm going to give fasting a try .I've been reading about it .My hospital consultant is very negative and every time I mention diet related activity he just says "oh your well past diet controls" .I always feel like replying well your **** medication isn't having much effect either :p

Reactions: 6 people

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm still with the theory I was overweight, overeating, for many years, with no issues.

Then eventually I had diabetic symptoms.

Then I lost weight, and the diabetes equally went into remission.
So, I accepted being overweight was the problem, and when I fixed that, indeed, it seemed to be correct for me.

If you don't mind me asking Sunny .How high were your levels on diagnosis ?I have seen people on here reverse their diabetes but normally they were only slightly raised on diagnosis and their superb efforts gave them great results.

Don't get me wrong ,I totally accept that I must have overeaten to get to this weight ,but it can't be dismissed that medications have played their part in it and both my GP and the hospital endocrinologist have agreed that the large quantity of medication I was prescribed for the BP do have weight gain as a very common side effect . It then becomes a vicious circle ,lethargy and tiredness making the problems worse as the capability to exercise disappears .I've been forcing myself to garden but I feel quite poorly a lot of the time with sugars so high.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To be honest, I can't remember.

(one of the reasons I went to the doctors in the first place :) )

Probably not excessive, but followed by a lot of meds, which really helped to get me sorted, and then the decision to lose weight, supported, and aided by the NHS, which put me in a much better place.

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is so interesting! I could lose a few pounds like a lot of people - but am not massively overweight. BUT i have been a huge over indulger in highly processed carbs over the years - particularly sugar. My levels were very high at diagnosis - but since cutting out the refined carbs they are now running nicely between 4 and 7. Granted, I am taking metformin which will be helping - but (and my GP agrees with me on this) I'm sure the majority of the drop in my glucose levels are mainly due to diet. Therefore I cannot help but conclude that the things I was eating caused my insulin resistance. Also - to add a spanner to the works - one of the things that took me to see my GP was sudden weight LOSS. So in my case my diabetes was causing me to lose weight - not gain it. And from what I have seen when looking at diabetes symptoms, weight loss isn't in any way uncommon.

Reactions: 4 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Funny you should mention that @Indy51 .I'm going to give fasting a try .I've been reading about it .My hospital consultant is very negative and every time I mention diet related activity he just says "oh your well past diet controls" .I always feel like replying well your **** medication isn't having much effect either :p
Susie, It's something you can do that you haven't yet tried, so I would. I Fung regularly and it does seem to lower my insulin doses, which is what I do it for.

Have you also tried a version of the Terry Wahls approach, ie eat enormous quantities of veg every day, in the hope of curing shortfalls in your gut biome and fixing things that way? Soup is good for that.

Lucy

Reactions: 4 people

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Susie, It's something you can do that you haven't yet tried, so I would. I Fung regularly and it does seem to lower my insulin doses, which is what I do it for.

Have you also tried a version of the Terry Wahls approach, ie eat enormous quantities of veg every day, in the hope of curing shortfalls in your gut biome and fixing things that way? Soup is good for that.

Lucy
Exactly Lucy .I truly believe that Doctor Fung is spot on the money regarding both Insulin and the way our bodies deal with food .As far as i'm concerned his thinking on the whole calorie scam is borne out again and again by the figures of 97% regain shown in slimming clubs ect .Plenty of the people I know eat enormous quantities of junk food and don't gain weight so it makes sense that there is more at work here . I need to reset my set body weight and if fasting will do that then I'm up for a trial .I've already thrown my insulin in the bin and won't be taking that again.

I like the sound of a lifestyle that just includes good natural food ,My grandmother had never heard of a stupid calorie or a gym and it is no coincidence that we now have massive obesity since those so called scientific terms were introduced .

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Lucy

Hi . I have to ask what fung is

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you don't mind me asking Sunny .How high were your levels on diagnosis ?I have seen people on here reverse their diabetes but normally they were only slightly raised on diagnosis and their superb efforts gave them great results.

Don't get me wrong ,I totally accept that I must have overeaten to get to this weight ,but it can't be dismissed that medications have played their part in it and both my GP and the hospital endocrinologist have agreed that the large quantity of medication I was prescribed for the BP do have weight gain as a very common side effect . It then becomes a vicious circle ,lethargy and tiredness making the problems worse as the capability to exercise disappears .I've been forcing myself to garden but I feel quite poorly a lot of the time with sugars so high.

Hi . My levels where. 27 when. I was diagnosed
. And now they are now just over five . I'm. Hoping to come of medication soon
Clive

Reactions: 3 people

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi . My levels where. 27 when. I was diagnosed
. And now they are now just over five . I'm. Hoping to come of medication soon
Clive

That's brilliant Clive and since I see you were not overweight I'm assuming dietary changes were responsible for this ?
Fung is Doctor Jason Fung who believes that the medical profession is completely wrong in it's treatment of diabetes .Many videos from him on here .His theory is proving correct in my own case as my bg's have gone up and up and up corresponding with the medications being increased constantly .

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's brilliant Clive and since I see you were not overweight I'm assuming dietary changes were responsible for this ?
Fung is Doctor Jason Fung who believes that the medical profession is completely wrong in it's treatment of diabetes .Many videos from him on here .His theory is proving correct in my own case as my bg's have gone up and up and up corresponding with the medications being increased constantly .

Hi I'm currently on a lowish carb diet . Of about 130 a day but iv gone up to about 200 and some days I'll go to about 100 . I have changed the things I eat as well as cutting out all processed foods . Whole grains for breakfast . Low carb bread for lunch and so on. It's worked for me . I'm not cutting out any food groups . My levels are now stable . In the low 6ish . I'm hoping to come of my Meds the only problem iv had is in the mornings my levels at times have been higher than when I went to bed but iv now got that under control by eating a few carbs before I go to bed . Iv done a lot of research into food and I hope iv found a level where I can control my BG . I think the most important thing is to find food that you like to eat . And will not do you any harm . If you don't enjoy what you eat I think that over time people will fail and go back into bad habits . I think diabetes is an illness that you have to take control of or it will control you . I hope you find something that will work for you . All the best

Clive

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Jason Fung gets people to do fasts of various lengths. Some three to four days, some just regularly missing one mealtime. Total fasts, not reduced calories. It rests your metabolism and resets your insulin response. See his blog, Intensive Dietary Management.

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Jason Fung gets people to do fasts of various lengths. Some three to four days, some just regularly missing one mealtime. Total fasts, not reduced calories. It rests your metabolism and resets your insulin response. See his blog, Intensive Dietary Management.

Lowest EVER bs numbers yesterday Lucy after a 12 hour fast yesterday followed by a no carb dinner and veggie soup .no liver dump this morning and feel full of energy .Bs down to 11.7 first thing compared to 27 two days ago .I haven't had a reading that low in months .Loving the fasting :happy:

Reactions: 7 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Veggie soup is really good. Know what you want to do with the fasting, don't go silly with it, note down what you're doing and results, but it may be good. Good luck Susie girl but be sensible.

Green veg in soup form is amazing. Or not in soup form! But I'll pm you an amazing soup.

Good luck girl x