1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Does over eating give you Type 2 diabetes or does diabetes make you over eat

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Cl1ve, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Cl1ve

Cl1ve Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes . I think for diabetes low carb is the best option . I don't think a human being is design to just eat meet and dairy if we where we would have teeth like a lion . But. There is so many hidden carbs in are food that it is a problem to find foods that are healthy . Since being diagnosed iv had to look at the foods I buy like all diabetics . And was shocked to see how much processed sugar there is . So now I cook all my own foods and iv cut out all processed sugar which has worked for me . I still eat grain but only whole grain and not a lot
    Clive

• Like Like x 2
    #81 Cl1ve, Sep 26, 2015 at 12:24 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2015
  2. Cl1ve

Hi . Can I ask if the urge to over eat is still with you after all this time or did it decrees along with your BG going down

• Like Like x 3
  3. T2 Med free

T2 Med free Type 2 · Active Member

4. T2 Med free

T2 Med free Type 2 · Active Member

Type 2 they say it is due to being excessively overweight no necessarily so.. It takes time to cut back on your food intake mind over matter believe me it is possible and of course watch your sugar intake and you will feel fantastic.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Cl1ve

Hi . Yes it is not an easy road . But I think once you get your BG levels right the urge to over eat goes . I'm not over weight but as soon as my levels where in the normal range my urge to eat went down . So I looked up why this was and that is when I started this thread
    Clive

• Like Like x 2
  6. Cl1ve

Hi did you find the same thing . When your levels were right you hunger subsided

7. ButtterflyLady

ButtterflyLady Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It has decreased a lot and I hardly ever feel like overeating now. I believe carbs were causing the urge to overeat. It was a vicious cycle that I broke by reducing carbs. I need the increased fats to make me feel satisfied and to give me energy. But eating fats with moderate to high carbs causes weight gain. So I can only eat increased fats because I am low carbing.

The other factor that was driving my urge to overeat was that the excess body fat was driving insulin resistance. Now that I have much less body fat, I have less insulin resistance and cravings. It could be argued that with an HbA1c I don't have insulin resistance anymore I guess.

8. Cl1ve

Hi . That's a really good outcome for you . It just goes to show how bad are modern day diet is . Maybe if governments and food company's got together to remove all the hidden sugar and over processed food the nation would be a lot healthier . I also think that the food we feed to farm animals is bad . I know in America they are now feeding cattle corn witch is not good and there cows are getting sick to . It's all about profit not nutrition . I keep chickens for eggs and the difference between my eggs . And even shop bought free range . Is amazing . Mine taste better look more yellow mine eat grass lots of insects and lots of veg
    Clive

9. Cl1ve

Has anyone on here come across . Any more research on this subject

Clive

10. Cl1ve

Hi . I'm still looking for more research . On this subject if anyone can help

11. reidpj

reidpj · Well-Known Member

Check out: http://nusi.org They're a 'not for profit' organisation. Their mission statement: The mission of Nutrition Science Initiative is to reduce the individual, social, and economic costs of obesity, diabetes, and their related diseases by improving the quality of science in nutrition and obesity research.

12. Cl1ve

Hi thanks for the link . Clive

13. Cl1ve

Hi . If you look back or the 50s are diet was much more balanced . There has been a Hugh increase in sugar that has been going on for some years now . I do think it is the sugar in are food that is the problem . But the food .industry is huge and is making billions of pounds . And are buying there way in to politics and that gives then so much influence . I think until the sugar is cut down in are foods this pandemic will continue . There is also new evidence that the chemical leptin and m s n . Malfunction when we have diabetes . So the hunger signal to the brain are not shut down . I think there is a lot more research needs to be done before there is conclusive evidence . I think the percentage is a 9% increase in diabetes and a 37% increase in obesity so looking at the figures diabetes has not followed the obesity trend . I'm still looking out for more research

Clive

• Like Like x 2
  14. Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Roytaylorjasonfunglover Family member · Well-Known Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfz4720ooL3evd0aNphpFFw

That is the youtube channel of some indian diabetes association. There are lots of interesting presantantions there.

Here is one of the most interesting.

It is by a certain Doctor C.S. Yajnik. He is the person to the right on this famous picture. http://www.jomrjournal.org/articles/2014/1/1/images/JObesMetabRes_2014_1_1_55_123934_u4.jpg

You see that they have the same bmi, but the indian professor has over twice as much bodyfat! The presantantion is about individual obesity. He shows all the reasons why people can get diabetes even though they are very thin, bmi and bodyfat is not very related I am afraid, but hugely affected by genetics, epigenetics and lifestyle.

Here is also some research by Doctor Roy Taylor from Newcastle university, he shows how he cures diabetes by applying the same principles of personal fat threshold.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

I got lots of more research if you are interested, but I am going to put up my links when I have some more time.

15. Cl1ve

Hi thanks for this information . I'll watch this today . And I be very grateful if you could post more for me
    Clive

16. Cl1ve

Hi iv now watched the video you posted . Thanks and I'll look forward to seeing anymore you can find
    Clive

17. Celeriac

Celeriac Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I had already started losing weight when diagnosed. I thought my plantar fasciitis was a gym injury, doc thought diabetes and he was right.

When I met DSN for first time, literally the first thing that came out of her mouth was: " You don't look fat enough to have diabetes ". I didn't take it as the compliment she meant it as ! Husband muttered that she was a cheeky mare.

I count myself lucky that I have never had the hunger. Husband and I have always had two rules about eating.

1. Don't eat dinner on a tray in front of TV, actually sit at a table and talk.
    2. Don't keep snacks (chocolate, crisps, sweets etc) in the house, if you want them, you have to make the effort and go buy them.

We ate healthily, I know everyone says that, but we had an allotment and grew lots of our own veg without chemicals and using natural spring water (very handy spring). We did eat a lot of soya mince (low carb) for about three years, rather than value burger rubbish because we were skint and more bread, potatoes and pasta than we would have done otherwise.

I blame my diabetes on the completely flawed low fat mantra that I was subjected to from age of ten.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Cl1ve

Hi . Like you I'm not overweight . I eat home cooked food and I have my own chickens for the eggs . Just before I was diagnosed with type-2 I started to eat chewy sweets even my partner was getting concerned about the amount I was eating . I think my body was craving sugar and also started to drink orange juice . My levels when tested where 27 . I'm feeling a lot better now and my craving for sugar has gone . I have found out since being diagnosed that both my grand parents on my mothers side where diabetic and if I had known that maybe I would have got myself tested sooner and would not have thought it was only a disease of the overweight

Clive

• Like Like x 2
  19. Celeriac

Celeriac Type 2 · Well-Known Member

T2DM can be a partly genetic thing. Not in my family but husband's mother and daughter are both T2DM and his mother and one of his sisters are both lactose-intolerant too.Husband seems to be the only gluten-intolerant one in his family though.

I mention the intolerance because a fundraising letter from The Soil Association mentions that animal experiments have shown that use of glyphosate (Roundup) at levels permissible in food, causes endocrine system disruption and digestive issues.

Glyphosate is now routinely used to kill and dry out wheat before harvest and can also be used on rice, sweet potatoes, beans, tame oats, flax ,non-GM rape, non-GM soy, lentils, peas, feed barley and sugar cane.

If you Google Roundup harvest staging, you will find a PDF for farmers. Sometimes the crop will be sprayed as little as three days before harvest.

Roundup has been identified by the research arm of the World Health Organisation as a probable human carcinogen. A group of farm workers who have developed cancer after years of using Roundup are now suing Monsanto.

I know that many people will say that organic food is too expensive, but since 2012 I have seen organic prices in supermarkets come down. The more I read about non-organic farming methods and food, the more relieved I am to be avoiding them. I'm not saying that there are no pesticides in organic food at all, but there should be a lot less and glyphosate (Roundup) isn't allowed at all.

• Like Like x 5
  20. Cl1ve

Hi . I try to buy organic when I can . I keep chickens for the eggs . And thanks for the information on roundup I'll try and do a bit of research
    I think food is now about profit and nothing to do with how healthy it is for you and the situation is never going to get better until the government starts to do something about . To many MPs sponsored by the food lobby . You have to ask yourself how they can still use roundup with so much scientific evidence against its use

Clive

#100 Cl1ve, Oct 12, 2015 at 6:09 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2015
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook