Does over eating give you Type 2 diabetes or does diabetes make you over eat

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nutritional ketosis and ketoacidosis are very different things - although a lot of people (including health care professionals!) get them confused.

I think everyone needs to work out their own appropriate carb levels. It is easy to do. All you need to do is get a bg meter and eat carbs.
If your tests show that the carbs raise your bg out of target, then you eat less of them next time. Doesnt take long to work out where your personal carb limits lie.

Hi thanks for the info on ketosis I thing I will have to do some more research . And yes I have found that if I eat refined carbs I have a problem . So I changed to whole grain and I seam to be a lot better . I get my strips on prescription so I've been told to test 3 times a day . I have found a company called ( rude Heath ) I love there granola it's whole grain . Gm free and organic . The main problem is as soon as they say health the price goes up I'm paying £4.50 for 450g but it is the best for my levels so I guess the price is ok . If you find any research on ketosis I would be very grateful if you can point it out to me
Thanks
Clive

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a type 1, you will always need to take insulin, but the amount that you'll require will be greatly reduced if you cut out the carbs. Type 1's, on a high carb diet, run the very real risk of becoming insulin resistant - with all the complications of hyperinsulinemia....

I eat less than 30g carbs a day, which is pretty low by almost any standards. If I don't take insulin for more than a couple of hours, my blood sugar rises extremely significantly. I would be in DKA within a day with none and that is pretty standard of people with T1. Low carb reduces my insulin requirement, but not to nothing, by any means.

Reactions: 2 people

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep; saying Type 2 is caused by overeating is overly simplistic (I.e. missing context).

Once you've "acquired" certain metabolic ailments (Insulin/leptin resistance), it can be incredibly difficult to reduce weight.

So, rather than blaming individuals, it should be a case of making food manufactures accountable, and educating people to the deleterious effects of processed carbs/excessive sugar. But the normalisation/rationalisation of the obesity epidemic, sets an extremely dangerous precedent.

The Food manufacturers, simular to the Tobacco Industry from previous decades, have a number of experts they employ to conduct "research/studies", which corroborate the unscrupulous narrative they are perpetuating; "All nutrients are (including sugar...) equal, and should be consumed as part of a healthy, balanced diet".

The below documentary; Merchants of Doubt, pretty much sums up whats wrong with a lot of 'research' that is funded by corporations with vested intetests;

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt3675568/

Hi . That was a very eloquent way to put it . Perfect comment . Many thanks
Clive

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think a lot of the misdignoses occur while the person is still in the honeymoon period. Often, tests for T1 are only done after a couple of years (that is very approx!) when the T2 oral drugs fail to prevent increasingly high bg levels.

That sounds broadly feasible.
I guess the honeymooning lasts longer for some people than others.
There's also the whole LADA thing, which can definitely have that kind of profile, I believe.

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I've just been reading about LADA I've been diagnosed with type-2 I'm on medication but I've not been tested to see if in 1.5 . I guess time will tell
Clive

reidpj

I eat less than 30g carbs a day, which is pretty low by almost any standards. If I don't take insulin for more than a couple of hours, my blood sugar rises extremely significantly. I would be in DKA within a day with none and that is pretty standard of people with T1. Low carb reduces my insulin requirement, but not to nothing, by any means.

I understand your need for exogenous insulin. I had the same problem with high(ish) blood sugar while low carbing - I could only resolve it by upping the fat (circa 80%), keeping my protein levels to approx. 15%, and my carbs to no more than 5%.

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I understand your need for exogenous insulin. I had the same problem with high(ish) blood sugar while low carbing - I could only resolve it by upping the fat (circa 80%), keeping my protein levels to approx. 15%, and my carbs to no more than 5%.

Hi may I ask how you keep your carbs that low ?

reidpj

Hi may I ask how you keep your carbs that low ?

I have a very restrictive diet , which isn't a problem for me as I'm not a foodie. I never eat fruit, and hardly ever eat veg- mostly eggs, sausages (Black Farmer's), olives, olive oil, macadamia nuts, double cream, steak.

Below is yesterday's input (I enter everything under breakfast).

image.png

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a very restrictive diet , which isn't a problem for me as I'm not a foodie. I never eat fruit, and hardly ever eat veg- mostly eggs, sausages (Black Farmer's), olives, olive oil, macadamia nuts, double cream, steak.

Below is yesterday's input (I enter everything under breakfast).

View attachment 15918

Hi thanks for that information . I'm always happy to learn new things . there are a few things I like on that list . And I've been losing weight im now at 11.5 stone and there are some things on that list I like witch will help me stop losing anymore weight . One more think I'd like to ask if ok . I've read a few papers saying that a diet that low in carbs can leave you with not a lot of energy . So I guess that is not the case with you . I've been of work for a few months and all I've done is read about diabetes . And I think the more I read the more confused I get . Ps as soon as I started to feel better I got very bored so iv spent my time reading it has past the time
Clive

reidpj

Hi thanks for that information . I'm always happy to learn new things . there are a few things I like on that list . And I've been losing weight im now at 11.5 stone and there are some things on that list I like witch will help me stop losing anymore weight . One more think I'd like to ask if ok . I've read a few papers saying that a diet that low in carbs can leave you with not a lot of energy . So I guess that is not the case with you . I've been of work for a few months and all I've done is read about diabetes . And I think the more I read the more confused I get . Ps as soon as I started to feel better I got very bored so iv spent my time reading it has past the time
Clive

My energy levels are fine (giving that I'm hypothyroid) but then again I don't over exert myself. If you haven't already, check out Drs Stephen Phinny and Jeff Volex on YouTube - they have done a other of work with elite athletes and lchf.

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My energy levels are fine (giving that I'm hypothyroid) but then again I don't over exert myself. If you haven't already, check out Drs Stephen Phinny and Jeff Volex on YouTube - they have done a other of work with elite athletes and lchf.

Hi . I did read one paper about Australia cricketers and I read somewhere that they gave them more carbs if they where bowling
Clive

reidpj

Hi . I did read one paper about Australia cricketers and I read somewhere that they gave them more carbs if they where bowling
Clive

That was Professor Tim Noakes. Very easy to listen to; the bit re. the Australian cricketers is right at the end:

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. Thanks for showing me the video . Once again there are so many people saying so many different things
Clive

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last edited by a moderator:

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
By the time you're looking at diets, the question 'Does over eating give you diabetes or does diabetes make you over eat' isn't really going to be answered though.

They can improve it, and you can lose weight, so long as you get the right one though.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
http://www.rd.com/health/diet-weight-loss/why-low-carb-diets-arent-the-answer/

IMHO, an utter load of tosh - very lazy journalism. I doubt whether the author bothered to do any proper research before putting pen to paper.

Yes indeed. A mish mash of personal experience, personal bias (to be fair, we all have that) and a curious mix of misinformation, outdated claims on diet, a narrow choice of evidence, plus what seems to be a scattering of diabetic info - in an article intended to talk about weight loss. Some relevant, some not. Very lazy. Sadly, this kind of thing just perpetuates the myths.

Reactions: 4 people

reidpj

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi . The problem is all this literature is out there and people read it all and that is where the problems start . I do think the best thing for me is a low carb diet . That is what has worked for me

Clive

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi . Iv just read an article from readers-digest called Low carb diets are not the answer
http://www.rd.com/health/diet-weight-loss/why-low-carb-diets-arent-the-answer/3/

It says low carbs are not the answer. But what question precisely is it not the answer to?

In particular that article is aimed at healthy people with a properly functioning carbohydrate metabolism. So if (and that is a big if) that article does have any merit, it's certainly not in relation to T2 diabetes!

Reactions: 5 people