Type 2 and no longer on medication

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi . I'm a type-2 diabetic . Iv been on metformin and gliclazide for the past 3 months . My levels have come down from a high of 27 . Iv been on a lowish carb diet keeping to just under 200 . I'm now finding my levels are stable if not a bit low . So I think I will ask at my next appointment with my DN if I can come of the medication . Has anyone else be able to come of there medication and what was your diet plan
My medication at the moment is 2 x 500 mg of metformin and 40 mg of gliclazide

Clive

Reactions: 5 people

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
that's great :) speak to your doctor first before coming off the meds. But if you can manage without your meds you should be fine. Have you had diabetes for a while? I did manage my diabetes for some time with diet & exercise. Obviously what you're doing is working. But more than likely your doc will decrease your med dosages first to see what numbers you get they agree for you to completely stop meds. Wishing you the best. :)

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
that's great :) speak to your doctor first before coming off the meds. But if you can manage without your meds you should be fine. Have you had diabetes for a while? I did manage my diabetes for some time with diet & exercise. Obviously what you're doing is working. But more than likely your doc will decrease your med dosages first to see what numbers you get they agree for you to completely stop meds. Wishing you the best. :)

Hi . Thanks for the info . I was diagnosed about 3 months ago so not long . My medication has been lowered about 3 times now so hope at this rate I will be able to come of all together . I am aware it can be a progressive illness so if I do come of the medication I will keep testing my last few readings have been about 5 and a few at 4.8 . So a bit to low

Clive

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Way to go!

Those recent readings are fab.
If your doc says you can drop the glic, your risk of hypos will reduce a lot, and then low readings won't be a cause for concern.
:)

G

graj0

Iv been on metformin and gliclazide for the past 3 months . My levels have come down from a high of 27 . Iv been on a lowish carb diet keeping to just under 200 . I'm now finding my levels are stable if not a bit low .

How low? I managed to come off Gliclazide because I lowered my carbs to less than 100gms and was continually having hypos (less than 4). I know that my pancreas is producing normal amounts of insulin without the gliclazide because I paid for my own c-peptide test, my GP didn't seem to think it was necessary. I'm still taking metformin and my own testing and HbA1c seemed to be in the normal range. I'm not sure when I should consider trying to stop metformin, but prepared to take for the time being.

Given the average daily carb intake is about 300 gms, and it's a question of semantics, "just less than 200" is definitely lower, but maybe not lowish.

Good news if you can ditch the Gliclazide, and better still ditch the metformin, but be prepared to stay with the metformin.

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. Thanks for the reply . My carb intake today has been 135 . Yesterday it was 140 . I don't stick to a rigid amount but I have never go over 200 . Most days it is lower l have had a few hypos but that was when I was taking 120mg of gliclazide . But since iv been lowered to just 40mg with my evening meal iv not gone lower than 4 . Most days my BG is 4.5 to 5.5 before meals .. I don't want to eat any less as I don't need to loss any weight my bmi is 20 . Iv done a few post meal tests 2hours after eating and the levels are the same as my pre tests . It would be nice to come off all the medication but I will leave that decision to my DN . And congratulation on coming of your gliclazide .

Clive

Reactions: 4 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Congrats! In another 3 months if you are still doing really well and your DN wants you to continue with meds, you might want to have another think about that. It's your decision whether to take meds or not, and their job is just to make recommendations. As long as you discuss it with them and let them know before stopping, I can't see a problem with that. I am still on metformin because I am still overweight and it's helpful for that. But if I was in the normal weight and BG range I would err on the side of asking about coming off it.

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi . Iv just been told I can come of gliclazide my Hba1c is down from 100 to 48 . My DB nurse was great and told me to monitor my levels and to start again if I need to . It's nice to be able to have the test strips on prescription and to be able to be able to adjust my own medication . The nurses at Poole hospital diabetic centre have been so helpful so I thought I'd give them a mention and a big thank you to them all

Clive

Reactions: 5 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi . Iv just been told I can come of gliclazide my Hba1c is down from 100 to 48 . My DB nurse was great and told me to monitor my levels and to start again if I need to . It's nice to be able to have the test strips on prescription and to be able to be able to adjust my own medication . The nurses at Poole hospital diabetic centre have been so helpful so I thought I'd give them a mention and a big thank you to them all

Clive

Well done Clive!

I never doubted you would achieve your goals!

It's a great feeling ain't it?

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Clive
Fantastic, congratulations so much!

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations on getting your bs numbers down. I was only on metformin, and lost a heap of weight and cut my carbs to 20 to 30g a day and was taken off the tablets as my bs are in the normal range now. Also have stopped some of my heart failure meds as well.
You are very lucky to have medics that are understanding .. :)

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations on getting your bs numbers down. I was only on metformin, and lost a heap of weight and cut my carbs to 20 to 30g a day and was taken off the tablets as my bs are in the normal range now. Also have stopped some of my heart failure meds as well.
You are very lucky to have medics that are understanding .. :)

Hi yes the team at Poole hospital where brill .

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good on you for getting your levels down. My HbA1c on diagnosis was 100 and It is now down to 34 and I did it through LCHF.

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good on you for getting your levels down. My HbA1c on diagnosis was 100 and It is now down to 34 and I did it through LCHF.
Wow I have to say how well you've done the above results are the best iv seen . I hope I can control my BG as well as you . If I ever need any inspiration . I'll gone back to your results . It just goes to show what you can do if you put your mind to something

Clive

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Cl1ve it is such a personal journey and we all have our ups and downs and it all in how we deal with those fluctuations. You have done extremely well and Im sure you will continue to do well. Do keep us informed as Im sure you will be able to come off your medication and continue to do well.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Clive

You've done great, well done!

I think we are extremely lucky here in Dorset. I come under the diabetic team at Bournemouth Hosp. I also get test strips on prescription from my GP. I cannot fault the DB nurse at my surgery. Yep, definitely very lucky here :)

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You've done great, well done!

I think we are extremely lucky here in Dorset. I come under the diabetic team at Bournemouth Hosp. I also get test strips on prescription from my GP. I cannot fault the DB nurse at my surgery. Yep, definitely very lucky here :)

Hi . Yes I have to agree . I was at Poole hospital and I don't think they could have been more helpful

Clive