BBC1 Thursday 21:00 Doctor in the House...

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I watched the programme, what does everyone think of f the Fasting he suggested?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I watched the programme, what does everyone think of f the Fasting he suggested?

Only caught the last few mins of the programme, was the couple on the 5:2 diet or were they following Prof Taylor's Newcastle diet?

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not 5.2 diet, don't think it was Newcastle diet either, it was mainly sensible eating but cutting out all sugar, all carbs, and dairy food such as cream, not sure it was all dairy that was cut, but the doctor said fasting 2-3 times a week could potentially reverse diabetes? Interesting!

Reactions: 2 people

lindisfel

Expert
Fasting was a bit drastic, a working person couldn't keep that up indefinitely. Assumed that part of diet would be modified when he got his fat down.
Carb advice spot on but I don't think he supported the high fat part of diet. He told him not to eat butter etc.
Derek

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought that overall the program was great and so was the GP; what a change from the normal drivel about low-fat, low-salt etc. I had a few niggles such as avoiding milk/dairy which seemed a bit unnecessary as the natural milk sugar level is low and you don't drink that much. The GP showed an excellent understanding of diabetes and in particular the T2 he was handling. I didn't get the timed fasting i.e. only eating during a fixed 10 hour period. I suspect it's not a proven approach but may help insulin sensitivity.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks for the reply @Magsx1, did they fair well with the fasting diet?

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fasting was a bit drastic, a working person couldn't keep that up indefinitely.
Assumed that part diet would be modified when he got his fat down.
Carb advice spot on but I don't think he supported the high fat part of diet. He tolf him not to eat butter etc.
dDerek
It seems he was basically cutting al sugar,carbs,dairy apart from veg it doesn't seem to leave a lot! At least with LCHF you can eat a reasonable amount, I'm worried about eating the high fat now! Lol

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Meant "for him" lol bloody predictive txt!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Only the man was on the fasting diet, because he had a lot of fat around his organs,so for Jim it was useful

Thanks again @Magsx1, might try and catch up with the programme over the weekend.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
The pleasure of watching something that didn't follow the usual formula is being felt as I write! Ok, not in agreement with it all, but what an excellent start - about time too!

Reactions: 2 people

MargJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have recorded the programme to watch later. Saw the doc being interviewed on news earlier and he stressed that carbs are bad for us. First time I have heard this from any medic. Think he called carbs fuel for diabetes. Why can't others realise this?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought it was excellent for the most part but was also a bit concerned about how long you could actually keep up a low carb and reduced fat diet. He did pretty well though in that short time.

What made me laugh though was the lady of the house who had a box full of 20 or so various treatments and supplements she'd bought, but was then unwilling to accept any medication to help with her menopausal issues, as she didn't want to put such stuff into her body....:wideyed:

Robbity

Reactions: 10 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Missed it, I was watching the Kingdom on BBC2. Will watch it on BBC iplayer tomorrow or over the weekend.

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
I wasnt too keen on the 24 hour fasting

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I enjoy a 23 hour fast every week or so. There is nothing (natural) faster for lowering bs.

Reactions: 4 people

Anglo_dude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
GPs who say blood testing is irrelevent
I thought it was an excellent program and basically is what I've been doing for the last 2-3 months. From August bank holiday I've cut out most carbs, followed LCHF diet and after reading Dr Jason Fungs blogs about fasting reversing (or at least controlling) T2, have done 1-2 days a week of full fast. Now I work full time, and have found it pretty easy to fast during the week. I have an evening meal around 7-8 then nothing but tea and water until 7-8 the following night.

I've found it easy as I can go to sleep full and sleep well. This allows me to cope with the empty feeling. I started off at 14st 4, and am now around 13st 3-4. My BMI (from my electronic scales) is now showing 13.5% from about 17 and my blood sugars are consistently in the 5-8 range in the 5 range on the fast days even after eating.

The reasoning behind the fasting is to force the body to use the glycogen and fats stored in the liver and pancreas (and I guess the visceral fat), as this is the only source it has. This reduces the fatty liver syndrome that most T2s have and there is some evidence that its the fatty deposits that cause the insulin resistance.

The final assumption is that when you don't eat you don't produce insulin and so your body has a chance to naturally reduce your static body weight as insulin causes weight gain and so reducing this helps us to set our correct body weight lower.

I'm off for my HBa1C test on Monday and will post up my results. My previous reading was 80, which prompted this change, so am looking forward to the next test. I'm expecting it to be around 40-50 based on my blood sugar testing over the last 3 months.

Cheers,

Chris

Reactions: 4 people