Forum questions: additional forums?

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi guys - with the Reactive Hypoglycemia forum getting praise for its creation (finally!), we thought it was relevant to ask if there are any further suggestions for any more forum(s) that should be added? :)

Reactions: 6 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I asked for a vegetarian forum some time ago ... I would be happy to watch over it and feel it would be a great help for vegetarians who are new to the forums and new to diabetes. It can be a lonely place for a diabetic who is also vegetarian or vegan

Reactions: 14 people
M

mrspuddleduck

I would love a type 3c forum but realise there are only a few of us. Although I access the type 1 for the insulin stuff and the type 2 for the diet stuff, I do feel it would be nice to be able to chat about the additional complications of type 3c without either having to repeatedly explain what it is or boring everyone else to death!! :D Sue xx

Reactions: 9 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I would love a type 3c forum but realise there are only a few of us. Although I access the type 1 for the insulin stuff and the type 2 for the diet stuff, I do feel it would be nice to be able to chat about the additional complications of type 3c without either having to repeatedly explain what it is or boring everyone else to death!! :D Sue xx

Well originally, with the odd visitors, there was only two of us, however, as time has passed the more that have joined. Remember quality not quantity!

Reactions: 9 people

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Yeah! The forums are fantastic, and really helpful. As a transplant patient who got diabetes from steroid and anti-rejection drugs, I'd love to be able to see a forum for people who got diabetes post transplant (it's very common) or at least from steroid type drugs.

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd second @Enclave 's request for a vegetarian forum. Although not everyone follows the LCHF approach it can seem particularly daunting for vegetarian's starting out - so much of the low carb info out there in the ether is aimed at omnivores.

Thanks for asking :)

Reactions: 13 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I back up @Enclave & @Safi on this. Although not a vegetarian or vegan, I like "meat free" days and like to have low carb meals that I can serve to vegan/vegetarian guests!:cool:

Reactions: 11 people

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I asked for a vegetarian forum some time ago ... I would be happy to watch over it and feel it would be a great help for vegetarians who are new to the forums and new to diabetes. It can be a lonely place for a diabetic who is also vegetarian or vegan

Great idea - and actually a no brainer, I'll get that set up on Monday!

Reactions: 4 people

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yeah! The forums are fantastic, and really helpful. As a transplant patient who got diabetes from steroid and anti-rejection drugs, I'd love to be able to see a forum for people who got diabetes post transplant (it's very common) or at least from steroid type drugs.

What do you think that forum should be called and where should it be placed? That's often the trickiest part of this process!

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Good idea. Do you feel that a Type 3c would be beneficial/better than the T1/T2 forum combos? I think so, from what you've said. :) What would we/should we call it? From my limited understanding I understood Type 3c Diabetes and pancreatitis diabetes to be the same thing? Should the forum be called Type 3c/Prancreatitis Diabetes or should there be a 'Brittle Diabetes' forum which would subsume that?

M

mrspuddleduck

Ohhhhh thank you @Administrator!:) I think the type 3C/Pancreatic (but not pancreatitis) label would be best as the 3C is only recently becoming a common name for it. Not sure brittle diabetes would work because its sometimes used by HCPs to describe any one who's not controlled well so it may get confusing!! I'm also chuffed about the vegetarian forum! Sue x

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ohhhhh thank you @Administrator!:) I think the type 3C/Pancreatic (but not pancreatitis) label would be best as the 3C is only recently becoming a common name for it. Not sure brittle diabetes would work because its sometimes used by HCPs to describe any one who's not controlled well so it may get confusing!! I'm also chuffed about the vegetarian forum! Sue x

Oops, sorry - spelling mistake - it is Sunday morning! :happy:

M

mrspuddleduck

Oops, sorry - spelling mistake - it is Sunday morning! :happy:
Your talking to someone using her phone with no glasses! :D What I mean is type 3C isn't always caused by pancreatitis, and many people who get diabetes via pancreatitis are type 2! Sorry should have been clearer!!

Reactions: 2 people

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'd second @Enclave 's request for a vegetarian forum. Although not everyone follows the LCHF approach it can seem particularly daunting for vegetarian's starting out - so much of the low carb info out there in the ether is aimed at omnivores.

Thanks for asking :)

The Vege forum is live: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/vegetarian-diet-forum.71/

Can you PM me and/or any of the mods to move any threads people feel are relevant. :)

@mrspuddleduck - will get onto this today hopefully, but will probably be made live tomorrow :)

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Would a MODY forum be appropriate/beneficial?

desidiabulum

Would a MODY forum be appropriate/beneficial?
A MODY forum would not get many users (such a select little band are we), and the condition is not as distinctive in its treatment as LADA etc. But on the other hand, given how alone someone can feel after a MODY diagnosis, a separate forum would increase the chances of people like me (who only rarely visit the forum nowadays) spotting a newby MODY and offering a comradely word.

Reactions: 4 people

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
What do you think that forum should be called and where should it be placed? That's often the trickiest part of this process!

I see. where might be the best place? I would think the main area somewhere after the Types, around Gestational maybe. That said, it may seem too niche. I reckon most people who develop diabetes post transplant or from steroids for other reasons actually are first told it's "New Onset Diabetes" - and they tend to be Type 2. Maybe it would be apt to place such a forum beside Pre-diabetes, or within the Type 2 Forum as "Diabetes as a Consequence of Steroid Treatment". I can see it's not an easy decision. I do think, however, it would be a valuable start point for those newly diagnosed after transplant. My brother had a transplant three years ago and also developed Type 2, and I have encountered a lot of people at clinics who have the same problem. Do you think existing members would support it? frankly, the kidney and transplant sites are not very helpful on this point and they tend to be dominated by US members. Thanks so much for responding.

M

mrspuddleduck

I see. where might be the best place? I would think the main area somewhere after the Types, around Gestational maybe. That said, it may seem too niche. I reckon most people who develop diabetes post transplant or from steroids for other reasons actually are first told it's "New Onset Diabetes" - and they tend to be Type 2. Maybe it would be apt to place such a forum beside Pre-diabetes, or within the Type 2 Forum as "Diabetes as a Consequence of Steroid Treatment". I can see it's not an easy decision. I do think, however, it would be a valuable start point for those newly diagnosed after transplant. My brother had a transplant three years ago and also developed Type 2, and I have encountered a lot of people at clinics who have the same problem. Do you think existing members would support it? frankly, the kidney and transplant sites are not very helpful on this point and they tend to be dominated by US members. Thanks so much for responding.
Sorry @Administrator , just a quick slightly off topic. @pleinster, I'd be really interested in chatting about steroid diabetes with you if you fancy starting a new post (perhaps in other health conditions for now). My understanding of steroid diabetes seems quite different to yours so would love to compare notes! (I've been steroid dependant for approx 11 years). Sue x

Reactions: 2 people