cocoa powder

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Most I have seen online seem to have 25-50g of carbs per 100g. But Callebaut Cocoa Powder (on Amazon for £10.99 a kilo) has 13g of carbs (0.4g sugar) per 100g.

Reactions: 3 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I use Cadbury Fair Trade Bourneville Cocoa at 14g carbs per 100g. The red tin. Available everywhere.

Reactions: Serena51

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can anyone tell me where I can buy unsweetened cocoa powder as normal stuff has quite a few carbs?

I have Green & Black's organic cocoa 125g tub, which is 12.5g carbs per 100g, of which 0.4g is sugars and there's no added sugar.

They sell it in Sainsbury's, Ocado, (currently on offer at 1.76), Tesco, Morrisons and Waitrose. Unless on offer, Morrisons sells it generally around a few pence cheaper.

It's really good, just make sure you buy the cocoa not the hot chocolate because if in a hurry you could pick up the hot chocolate instead.

For anyone in the USA. I recommend the Hershey's 100% natural unsweetened cocoa too. Before I found Green & Black's I used to buy that.

Reactions: 6 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I have Green & Black's organic cocoa 125g tub, which is 12.5g carbs per 100g, of which 0.4g is sugars and there's no added sugar.

They sell it in Sainsbury's, Ocado, (currently on offer at 1.76), Tesco, Morrisons and Waitrose. Unless on offer, Morrisons sells it generally around a few pence cheaper.

It's really good, just make sure you buy the cocoa not the hot chocolate because if in a hurry you could pick up the hot chocolate instead.

For anyone in the USA. I recommend the Hershey's 100% natural unsweetened cocoa too. Before I found Green & Black's I used to buy that.
Are you sure of those numbers? The G&B one in my supermarket was higher than the Cadburys when I compared them? :confused: I may be missing a trick.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But what does it actually say on the tin?? :D I'll go and check on mine in a minute...

Robbity

ETA: 19 g carbs of which 0g sugars, and Tesco says 1 teaspoonful is 4g weight, which is 0.76g carbs. so pretty trivial unless you add milk and sugar....

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

But what does it actually say on the tin?? :D I'll go and check on mine in a minute...

Robbity

ETA: 19 g carbs of which 0g sugars, and Tesco says 1 teaspoonful is 4g weight, which is 0.76g carbs. so pretty trivial unless you add milk and sugar....
Cheers, missus :)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Okay, I lurve hot choc but I haven't worked out how to make it without milk which spikes me. So I haven't had any since I started LCMF. :( Any ideas?

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Okay, I lurve hot choc but I haven't worked out how to make it without milk which spikes me. So I haven't had any since I started LCMF. :( Any ideas?
Mix cream with water and add cocoa and sweetener.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Have a look in Lidl if you have one they have cocoa which is 8.8 carbs per 100 grams it's called Belbake. As you only need 5gms in weight for a drink it wont cause a problem.

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you sure of those numbers? The G&B one in my supermarket was higher than the Cadburys when I compared them? :confused: I may be missing a trick.
I actually saw a green & blacks hot choc in sainsburys the other day which seemed to have more sugar that the g&b cocoa powder I usually get so be sure you're getting the right one!

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The info that is given on the website @ewelina linked to is the same as that given on Green and Black's current product info. After the info given on Tesco's website, it has Tesco copyright 2013 so I would suggest that the info has been updated by Green & Black's and not by Tesco.

If I see discrepancies, I always assume that the product's manufacturer knows the product better and that supermarkets don't update info often. After all, it costs them money to do it.

I like hazelnut milk with my cocoa, it tastes like praline. :)

Reactions: 6 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Morrisons have the G&B Cocoa on offer at £1.73. Their website shows the carbs as 19g per 100g, with 0g sugar. I am going there shortly and will check the tin.

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaning for moanings sake!!
Morrisons have the G&B Cocoa on offer at £1.73. Their website shows the carbs as 19g per 100g, with 0g sugar. I am going there shortly and will check the tin.
I was very disappointed with morrisons on Sunday website said it had all sorts on offer including coconut oil and when arrived there was nothing, said all stores don't have so id check first if ur making a special trip

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @amanda19640 I did go to Morrisons, not a special trip, I usually go there once a week and I had to pick up a shirt I ordered online from the Debenhams nearby. And I buy some onion bhajis from an Indian snack shop near there.

Anyway I checked the Green & Blacks Cocoa powder. It was on offer at £1.73, but the tin does show 19g carbs per 100g. So it seems the Morrisons site is correct, and it is the G&B site which hasn't been updated.
I bought the Morrisons Cocoa which was £1.90 for a 250g pack. The nutrition info shows 11.5g carbohydrates per 100g, and 0g of sugar, well just trace.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I make my cocoa drink in my Tassimo machine by mixing Green and Black's powder with a little milk then using one Tassimo milk pod and top up with hot water and Zylitol sweetener

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a supermarket generic unsweetened cheap one, I think bought in the cooking aisle rather than drinks aisle.

Reactions: Serena51