Can you eat bread on a low carb diet?

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would suggest moving the low carb vegetarian thread from the Low Carb forum into the new Vegetarian forum. Might get more views and posts that way.

I also feel that threads about Lidl protein rolls and any other carbs need to be shifted out of the Low Carb forum into Food Nutrition and Recipes.

Bread and cereals simply aren't Low Carb.

Many posters refer newbies to the www.dietdoctor.com/lchf page for basics and there's no bread on that page, it's not LCHF.

Low Carb is not a one size fits all way of eating. There are several variants including Paleo, Primal, Atkins, Schwarzbein, The Scandinavian Diet etc etc.

Fundamental to ALL of them, however, is the ditching of carbs such as bread, pasta and cereals and eating real food not processed food.

People eating bread and sugar-free jelly can eat as much of them as they want, but they aren't low carb.

Allowing bread threads in the Low Carb forum is like allowing suet or bacon in the Vegetarian forum.

Reactions: 10 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whilst I agree that bread and cereals aren't low carb, surely they can be part of a low carb diet? I have had a Lidl high protein roll for lunch. My total carb count for today will be 30g. That's low carb. This is where portion control comes in.

Reactions: 24 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Celeriac
I don't low carb and am sceptical but I can understand Zands reply

I don't think that you can say all low carb diets exclude grains and sweeteners As you say, there are a variety of diets under the umbrella.
As I had a copy of the Atkin's diabetes revolution in the bookcase, I checked.
Low carb bread is even on the 20g carb diet in the Atkins Diabetes Revolution book.
There is a whole section on different sweeteners, sweeteners are used in the recipe section and one recipe for cinnamon pancakes includes 60g of wholemeal flour for 4 servings.
Barley and oats are in the eat regularly in the Atkins 'Glycaemic Ranking list' as are are low carb bread, pasta tortilla etc . The eat in moderation list includes whole grain bread, sourdough whole grain bread, rye bread, buckwheat, bulgur and many more grain items.

To return to the topic. As the question was about extra forums, maybe a gluten free subsection would be appropriate since up to 10% of T1s are coeliac and have to be scrupulously gluten free and there are others who avoid gluten for other reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Whilst I agree that bread and cereals aren't low carb, surely they can be part of a low carb diet? I have had a Lidl high protein roll for lunch. My total carb count for today will be 30g. That's low carb. This is where portion control comes in.
I agree. Coming to terms with a diagnosis of diabetes is hard enough when you are told you can no longer eat X, Y and Z. If people are shown there are lower carb versions of their favourites such as bread and jelly, then why not tell them? These items are lower carb than the usual versions and can be compatible with good blood glucose control.

Just because some people choose not to eat cereals or jelly, does not mean they have to spoil it for every one else who is capable of making their own choices. Diet Doctor is good guide, but it is not a bible.

Reactions: 19 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Quite probably, I should have omitted Atkins from the list now, because Atkins Nutritionals is owned by a private equity company and flogs Indulgence bars. Not so different from Weight Watchers in ethos, these days.

However, my point is otherwise still valid. None of the low carb ways of eating are in favour of processed junk.

The reality IS that sugar free jellies contain things like aspartame, trisodium citrate, fumaric acid, acesulfame K, adipic acid, anthocyanins, sucralose, maltodextrin, tetrasodium diphosphate, potassium citrate and sulphites.

If people want to eat junk, it's up to them, but that isn't low carb and it's the kind of stuff that Dr Chatterjee throws out of the cupboards on Doctor in the House.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
None of the low carb ways of eating are in favour of processed junk.

If people want to eat junk, it's up to them, but that isn't low carb and it's the kind of stuff that Dr Chatterjee throws out of the cupboards on Doctor in the House.

We can all make up our minds what our personal low carb diet is to be. Mine will not be the same as anyone else's. It isn't the diet doctor low carb (I've never read it). It isn't Atkins. MIne is zand's, and it was set by and for zand. To me that's what the low carb section here is all about. Guiding people to the best amount of carbs for them personally with foods they can enjoy. Other people's diets are for ideas along the way only. My way is a low carb way of eating which occasionally includes higher carb foods.

I agree with @phoenix that a gluten free section would be good too.

Reactions: 17 people

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
These items are lower carb than the usual versions and can be compatible with good blood glucose control.

All of the research and anecdotal evidence I've seen has alluded to seeing the change being key. Quite often, this means gradual change. Apparently, men prefer more strict 'do X/Y/Z' whereas females prefer the gradual nature of seeing change. Either way, results encourage further change/increase motivation, etc and so agreed with lower rather than low. It's all about being tailored/bespoke/exactly what the individual requires/desires/feels is appropriate.

Reactions: 7 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So vegetarians get a no meat products in here forum and that's fine, but it's not fine to want a properly low carb forum without bread and sugar-free jelly, because some people can't give up junk food ?

No wonder HCPs are sceptical about low carb, if the people saying that they low carb are eating processed food and carbs !

A

Avocado Sevenfold

How I long for the good old days when it was a simple debate between low carbs and moderate carbs :rolleyes:

Vegetarians have a forum as it is a clearly defined way of eating. Low carb is a matter of arithmetic and everyone has their own personal threshold. How people choose to spend their quota is surely up to them and should not be dictated by anyone else. And we thought the diabetes police were bad :facepalm:

Reactions: 21 people

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So vegetarians get a no meat products in here forum and that's fine, but it's not fine to want a properly low carb forum without bread and sugar-free jelly, because some people can't give up junk food ?

No wonder HCPs are sceptical about low carb, if the people saying that they low carb are eating processed food and carbs !

Low carb is full of individual-ness. It's what works for you. Whereas vegetarians are all veggie-lovers, so it's easier to stratify?

Reactions: 14 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I could do low carb and eat bread.

If I'm sticking to xgr per day, that I might choose to use/invest/waste* (*delete as appropriate) a decent percentage of those grammes on bread would be entirely my choice. Similarly with sugar-free jelly or anything else.

Reactions: 13 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quite! I know someone who is a great advocate of low carbing who has the occasional (monthly?) treat of a small portion of chip shop fish and chips. I wouldn't dream of criticizing him for this, even though I expect that has a much higher carb count than my lunch today. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am in ketosis and I have a slice of Bergen every day.
Low carb means that you have reduced your carbs sufficiently to suit your body's glucose levels and your Hba1c and fasting bloods are in control.

Simples!

Reactions: 14 people

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat 80g carb a day - with bread, potatoes, I don't eat high fat as in lots of butter, cream etc I don't like it. I eat nuts olive oil and oily fish and avacado - I don't eat many processed foods - but I still class myself as a low to moderate carber. This new forum idea is fantastic for vegetarians, gluten free T3 etc but in my humble opinion we are in danger of having far too many sub forums and muddying the waters - people come here very confused sometimes and we don't want to add to that.

Anyone wanting to break down the way they eat further could perhaps do it in their blog with a link in their sig?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Edited to add: this post was written in another thread, when the OP was effectively derailing that thread. Please ignore it, since the OP now has its own thread, so this post could be considered to be derailing.
Lol

---------

I'm very sorry that this thread has been derailed into whether bread = low carb.

Seems a very odd thing to bring into such a positive and useful thread.

And surely, such a bizarre idea deserves its own thread. Should be very entertaining.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 9 people

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm very sorry that this thread has been derailed into whether bread = low carb.

And surely, such a bizarre idea deserves its own thread. Should be very entertaining.
Couldn't agree more @Brunneria

Reactions: 2 people
M

mrspuddleduck

Totally agree @Brunneria, while we are at it, as one of the oddities whose severe mal-absorbtion because of my dead pancreas means I can't absorb fats, carbs or proteins, perhaps I could have a sub forum all to myself - we could call it the 'what's left on my plate' forum!! ;) :p:D Sorry for the sarcasm but to be frank Im frustrated that the thread, has turned into the 'bread thread'!! Now I will just crawl back into my corner.....Sue xxxx

Reactions: 7 people

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Couldn't wait until tomorrow - didn't want to stifle conversation so opened the PC

Reactions: 6 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I don't know what all the fuss is about regarding forums and sub forums. I am a regular and have been for nearly 2 years, yet I have hardly ever looked in separate forums. I just look at the recent posts and scroll through them, picking out any that look interesting. The only time I look in separate forums is if I want to start a thread in one of them.

Reactions: 21 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was recently advised to eat half a slice of rye bread with my evening meal as well as my one slice of Bergen bread.
It a depends on how you cope and the amount of wheat or gluten you can tolerate to avoid the spikes.
Eating full fat butter with bread can also slow digestion.
You could throw this around all year and not come up with a definitive answer, it's a preference on how many or how much bread you can or want to eat.
If you want you can call it rationing!
Which implies, you can have some but too much is verboten!