Help Me Like Mushrooms

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oops!! Lol:)- can I blame this faux pas on legal drugs too please?? :)

Problem is if you read the title in 'recent posts', and click on it, sometimes it doesn't always register which forum you go to.
(Well for me anyway)

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
My 2 most hated foods are any kind of nut and mushrooms:dead:

Yuk to both:***:

I have never to my knowledge ate mushrooms, I wont even try them, they look revolting OMG just thinking about them makes me want to spew:yuck: if out dining I avoid them, I look through the menu and if there are mushrooms involved it's a no no, as for any kind of nut OMG spew too how can folk eat that Nutella stuff LOL

Right I am off for a bite to eat a nice juicy Pear:)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Problem is if you read the title in 'recent posts', and click on it, sometimes it doesn't always register which forum you go to.
(Well for me anyway)

Only trouble is on iphones and scrolling thru "timeline" discussion group like "vegetarian" is in such small text at the bottom.. I never look at it!! Ooops lesson learnt!!

Still applies.. Cut the mushrooms very small!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I have never to my knowledge ate mushrooms, I wont even try them, they look revolting OMG just thinking about them makes me want to spew:yuck:QUOTE]

My youngest son says he hates mushrooms and won't eat them if he see them, when making a tomato based sauce I cut them up small so he can't see them:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

The only thing I avoid is okra. Too sluggy in texture. Supposed to be good for diabetes so I may give them another go one day.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I hated mushrooms for about 50 years until one fell on my plate accidentally. I thought it was something else so I ate it. I was astonished how delicious it was. I now have them every day in one form or another, but my favourite is simply sliced thin and fried in butter.

M

mrspuddleduck

My youngest son says he hates mushrooms and won't eat them if he see them, when making a tomato based sauce I cut them up small so he can't see them:D
I like the taste of mushrooms, but the texture - My skin is crawling just thinking about it! So I cut them up small and chuck them in with everything else!! Now if anyone mentions Quorn, :yuck:.... Sue xxx

Reactions: 5 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love mushrooms, but I eat a lot of wild mushrooms, they taste totally different to farmed mushrooms.

Reactions: 2 people
K

Kat100

I love mushroom curry ..
Lots of mushrooms
Garlic
Onion
Chilli powder
Curry powder
Coconut powder ..
Corrinander leaves ..
A bit of tamarind paste
Fresh tomatoes ..
Just cook it all together .. It's yum ..

Reactions: 8 people

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I hated mushrooms for about 50 years until one fell on my plate accidentally. I thought it was something else so I ate it. I was astonished how delicious it was. I now have them every day in one form or another, but my favourite is simply sliced thin and fried in butter.

This is what I'm hoping for :)

@Kat100 - curry is a brilliant idea - thanks.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Sorry, I read the title as "Help me as you would a mushroom and had visions of you wanting to be "Kept in the dark and fed on bull sh*t"
Sorry, I'l get my coat!

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Grilled button mushrooms -stalks removed, caps filled with salted butter, crushed garlic and parsley then popped under a hot grill until slightly wrinkled (10 mins or so). Yum!

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, I read the title as "Help me as you would a mushroom and had visions of you wanting to be "Kept in the dark and fed on bull sh*t"
Sorry, I'l get my coat!

And the hits keep coming :D

Even if I never learn to love mushrooms I'll have a whole new arsenal of 'dad jokes'

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If your problem is that they are a little soft or squidgy when cooked .. Then do try the chestnut mushrooms .. They are so different from the open capped ones ..sure you be be a fan in no time;)

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If your problem is that they are a little soft or squidgy when cooked .. Then do try the chestnut mushrooms .. They are so different from the open capped ones ..sure you be be a fan in no time;)

Cheers for the tip @Enclave :)

I finally got around to making a mushroom & red wine pate this afternoon. Wasn't bad but I may try it with a stronger (than button) flavoured mushroom next time - the onion in the recipe seemed to take over a bit.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Cheers for the tip @Enclave :)

I finally got around to making a mushroom & red wine pate this afternoon. Wasn't bad but I may try it with a stronger (than button) flavoured mushroom next time - the onion in the recipe seemed to take over a bit.

So technically then you were wanting to taste the mushrooms? Thats a positive!! Or was it more red wine needed?

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So technically then you were wanting to taste the mushrooms? Thats a positive!! Or was it more red wine needed?

I was definitely (pleasantly) surprised that it didn't seem 'mushroomy' enough for me! Husband commented that he enjoyed the strong onion flavour & he's supposed to be the mushroom fan :confused: Still I'm counting it as a win & will move onto something less likely to disguise the flavour - still a bit sus on the texture though.

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like the taste of mushrooms, but the texture - My skin is crawling just thinking about it!
For me its Okra. I had it once and it was slimy and disgusting. I've been assured that this veg can be lovely if cooked properly - but think i'd be sick if it turned out slimy and snotty like the stuff I tried years ago - shudders.

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you like the taste of mushrooms just not the texture - try blasting them in a food processor with other ingredients to make veggie burgers.