Back again 1 year since diagnosis type 2

mossy77

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
nothing
Its been a hard year emotional tiring and stressful with my new illness doctors have been a nightmare at my gp,s i decided diet was worth a try so ive been on that for 12 months but these past 4 months felt **** again no energy after eating blurry eyes nuropathy back when mmol reaches anywhere over 8.5 shocks in chest again took me months to get a appointment but had my 2nd blood test done 1st was 62 ? and now 55? i think thats what she said so my 3 month check has lowered but she has still give me metformin this time because the way i feel in myself?

she has now stopped my prescription for test strips saying i dont need them yet again but my blood tests by device is all over the place cant understand this ?

these past 3 months have really got to me but im determind not to let it win me

my nurse is still telling me to eat more carbs more carbs *** ? im getting neropathy from the carbs after a hour eating

really cant get my head around the info they give id like to be on here listening to u good guys n gals info the real people with the illnesses

hope u all had a good xmas again and new years as was this time last year i was on here talking to u guys n gals

Reactions: 4 people

Evelynross

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi mossy, I'm type 2 also, my strips were stopped also. Felt like my safety net was pulled from under me, I was diagnosed in May, since then I've lost 2 1/2 stone, low carbing. Come off the rails at Christmas but now getting on again

Reactions: 6 people

Southbeds

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
New Years resolutions 1. Get a new doctor 2, use the low carb diet to get you health back 3, buy a SDcodefree meter and eat to your meter .

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi mossy, good to see you again.

It definitely sounds like you are on too high carbs for your body to cope with - if you feel that awful.

Do you have any other medical conditions which may be causing the symptoms?

In your position I would get myself a meter (as @Southbeds says, the SD Codefree is the cheapest around, and available from Amazon, ebay or the manufacturer) and see what was happening to my blood glucose with some intensive testing.

If you feel your worst at the same time that your blood glucose is up (from eating carbs) then you have your answer.

Welcome back. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
I got diagnosed about the same time as you Mossy. I am very lucky in that I have a brilliant doctor and we see dealing with the diabetes (T2) as a team effort. My HB1ac was 122 (yes, 122!) when I was diagnosed, I was immediately put on metformin and my HB1ac was 55 on my last test in November. My husband offered to buy me a meter straight away and we settled on the SD Codefree because replacement strips were the cheapest. I got the meter and I get my strips off Amazon.

I am TOTALLY with anyone above who has said avoid the starchy carbs at each meal - as I said to my doctor, why is it that the NHS tells you you have a condition that makes it impossible to digest sugars, then tells you to eat sugars? It's plain DAFT.

Try and keep your carbs down and take that metformin and I think you will have fantastic numbers very very soon.

Prov.

ps. I also got myself a fitness watch which counts my steps each day and tells me not to be lazy - got that off Amazon too. For me getting a sensible amount of exercise really deals with any blood sugar issues.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Sounds like your DN hasn't a clue about diet for diabetics and is telling you what she was (wrongly and dangerously) told during her NHS training. Not her fault but the many posters on this site who actually have diabetes will tell you to keep the carbs under control. A meter is essential so do buy your own and strips as I did shortly after diagnosis.

Reactions: 4 people

mossy77

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
nothing
Cheers for all the replys ive been in and out the hospital with tests since we last spoke also mostly on my heart as the shocks in chest come n go but so far with results so good but i have kinda lost trust in the nhs from them leaving me with this diasese for so long and not testing me soon 5 years i was in and out hospital and never ever tested my blood sugar till last year witch is when i got diagnosted because i got all these symtoms at such a low mmol ie anything over 8.5 i get neropathy im wondering is that to do with being left and not treated for so long as see lots of people with high mmol and hba1c tests that what i have

i have asthma too from child also having a **** time with my teeth the dentists in brum aint to good either as i have to be sedated as the injections wont num me my dentist wont do it since becoming diabetic so been left with broken teeth in my mouth for near on a year with a few infections throughout the year

im still off the fags 3 years feb still off the choccy n fizzy pop about 18 months for them

ive also just been told my cholestrol is now high that is why the nurse said eat more carbs and less meat lool

listening to the people that supposed to look after you is why im like this again me thinks should never have forget about this great site that got me on track before

psd still have my meter n few extra tubs of cf strips to keep me going for a month

mossy77

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
nothing
also has anyone tryed this just juice shake stuff ?

also if anyone can tell me all the low gi carb fruit n veg as this year i wanna do the smoothy way too as dont get much veg n fruit as net tells me different things

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
also has anyone tryed this just juice shake stuff ?

also if anyone can tell me all the low gi carb fruit n veg as this year i wanna do the smoothy way too as dont get much veg n fruit as net tells me different things

This is the one:

51nIso96SBL._SX382_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Mind you, some of them make you think that they'd benefit from being warmed up and served up with some salt and pepper. In truth though, you do eventually get used to them.

The ones I find best have some unsweetened almond milk or coconut water, some various green leaves and some veg like brocolli but also have say three large strawberries or a handfull of blackberries added. It just lifts the drink enough to make it palatable.

Lidl does a low calorie low carb natural yoghurt, 66kcal and 3.9g per 100 ml. It's amongst the lowest that I have found. Normally when you get one of the low, the other is high, but this seems ok. Blend that with strawberry, blueberry, blackberry etc and you actually do have a pretty good smoothie. If you want to ruin it, you can add spinach if you want, but I prefer my spinach with onion, chicken and madras paste.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is the one:

51nIso96SBL._SX382_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Mind you, some of them make you think that they'd benefit from being warmed up and served up with some salt and pepper. In truth though, you do eventually get used to them.

The ones I find best have some unsweetened almond milk or coconut water, some various green leaves and some veg like brocolli but also have say three large strawberries or a handfull of blackberries added. It just lifts the drink enough to make it palatable.

Lidl does a low calorie low carb natural yoghurt, 66kcal and 3.9g per 100 ml. It's amongst the lowest that I have found. Normally when you get one of the low, the other is high, but this seems ok. Blend that with strawberry, blueberry, blackberry etc and you actually do have a pretty good smoothie. If you want to ruin it, you can add spinach if you want, but I prefer my spinach with onion, chicken and madras paste.

Thank you have just ordered a copy :)

Southbeds

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I got diagnosed about the same time as you Mossy. I am very lucky in that I have a brilliant doctor and we see dealing with the diabetes (T2) as a team effort. My HB1ac was 122 (yes, 122!) when I was diagnosed, I was immediately put on metformin and my HB1ac was 55 on my last test in November. My husband offered to buy me a meter straight away and we settled on the SD Codefree because replacement strips were the cheapest. I got the meter and I get my strips off Amazon.

I am TOTALLY with anyone above who has said avoid the starchy carbs at each meal - as I said to my doctor, why is it that the NHS tells you you have a condition that makes it impossible to digest sugars, then tells you to eat sugars? It's plain DAFT.

Try and keep your carbs down and take that metformin and I think you will have fantastic numbers very very soon.

Prov.

ps. I also got myself a fitness watch which counts my steps each day and tells me not to be lazy - got that off Amazon too. For me getting a sensible amount of exercise really deals with any blood sugar issues.
Thanks for that ,Never thought about a fitness watch /pedometer,just ordered one myself

Southbeds

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers for all the replys ive been in and out the hospital with tests since we last spoke also mostly on my heart as the shocks in chest come n go but so far with results so good but i have kinda lost trust in the nhs from them leaving me with this diasese for so long and not testing me soon 5 years i was in and out hospital and never ever tested my blood sugar till last year witch is when i got diagnosted because i got all these symtoms at such a low mmol ie anything over 8.5 i get neropathy im wondering is that to do with being left and not treated for so long as see lots of people with high mmol and hba1c tests that what i have

i have asthma too from child also having a **** time with my teeth the dentists in brum aint to good either as i have to be sedated as the injections wont num me my dentist wont do it since becoming diabetic so been left with broken teeth in my mouth for near on a year with a few infections throughout the year

im still off the fags 3 years feb still off the choccy n fizzy pop about 18 months for them

ive also just been told my cholestrol is now high that is why the nurse said eat more carbs and less meat lool

listening to the people that supposed to look after you is why im like this again me thinks should never have forget about this great site that got me on track before

psd still have my meter n few extra tubs of cf strips to keep me going for a month
I see that you have packed in cigarettes,chocolates and fizzy drinks so following a low carb diet should not be to difficult ,if you can stop eating potatoes,rice,pasta and cutting back on the bread. Avoid root veg ,Plenty of other veg to eat colli, broccoli leeks etc ,pork beef,chicken ,bacon etc just leave the fat on the chops . bacon ,eggs and mushroons fried in butter and some mayo for breakfast ,thinks are not that bad and will get better as your BG improves

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Thanks for that ,Never thought about a fitness watch /pedometer,just ordered one myself
Which one did you get SB? I am afraid I am rather a competitive kinda gal so its almost a matter of honour for me to keep up with my daily target (I have been spotted running up and down the kitchen to get those last few steps in before midnight). My watch adjusts my targets too. I call it my little Sergeant Major on my wrist.

Best of luck with yours.

Prov