How many Gluco Tabs

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
if I am at 3.3 how many Gluco Tabs do I need to take to get up to 5? I usually drink lucozade but I am trying to cut this out

Lorna

Tumble

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Negativity
I usually take four but everyone is different!

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Thanks Tumble, I don't suppose you know how many weight watchers pro points they have do you!

I am desperate to lose weight and a bottle of Lucozade uses up 7 points!!

Lorna

Tumble

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Negativity
I have no idea I'm afraid, hopefully someone else can help you with that. Fingers crossed they are better than Lucozade.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
ljwilson said:
Thanks Tumble, I don't suppose you know how many weight watchers pro points they have do you!

I am desperate to lose weight and a bottle of Lucozade uses up 7 points!!

Lorna

I wouldn't be worried about how many weight watchers points are in each glucotab Lorna, it's more important that you treat the hypo and get your bg back up to safe levels.

At 3.3mmol I would eat 2 jelly babies but only if it was a few hours since I last injected, I find if I hypo within 2 hours of injecting then I would treat with the same quantity of JB's but follow up with a small carby snack (once bg back into normal range) to stop my levels falling again, usually 2-3 oat crackers does the job!

Reactions: 6 people

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Tumble. I agree with noblehead, don't worry about the calories the hypo is the important thing. Besides which the calories are probably minimal. Good luck with weight loss

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

weeezer

I would have 3 to get from 3.3 to 5. Agree, don't worry about the points, I am following slimming world, but do not count any hypo treatment as a treat or account for it - it's needed!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
ljwilson said:
if I am at 3.3 how many Gluco Tabs do I need to take to get up to 5? I usually drink lucozade but I am trying to cut this out

Lorna

Hi ljwilson .

4 or 5 gluco tablets usually do it for me , it can feel like ages in terms of minutes of time
before I start to feel the improvement .
Lucozade 'does' do it faster though for me - I have noticed .

We are all different and can have our own preferred hypo methods .

Hope this can help .

Anna .

lizbet9

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on weightwatchers and treating a hypo is more important, it's frustrating as I have more hypos when I'm on a diet, 2 yesterday and 2 last Friday. I don't count them but count any carbs that I have afterwards usually 2 digestive biscuits. Good luck

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Agree with others, sod the points you have to treat the hypo. Wouldn't take a whole bottle of lucozade though, a few sips does the trick with mild ones. If its a regular occurence you need to reduce your insulin so not to have um in tge first place.

Reactions: 3 people

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Lucozade works best for me - and I agree with the others... treating your hypo is way more important!! I tried weight watchers a few months ago and for some reason it played havoc with my blood sugars so be careful! Good luck x

RMT1976

I've swapped from Lucozade to GlucoTabs. I have a very active job and it plays havoc with maintaining my blood sugar. I found 2-3 GlucoTabs will get me back into working order (4.5+) but you need to stop activity for 15-25 minutes to let them work, Lucozade is slightly quicker, but the glucose hangover it gives me is the reason I stopped using them. If your hospital has a dietician try asking them, if not a reasonable pharmacist might be able to help.

YorkshireAli

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm amazed at how many gluco tabs some of you can take without shooting your sugars off the scale! At 3.3, I'd take one tab and I'm at about 6 or 7 - I don't want to even contemplate where I'd be with 7 tabs...!

No better illustration of how we're all different, is there?

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told 10g of carbs would normally raise BS by 2-3mmol, each tab is 4g so 3 would do the trick for most people IF we were all the same!

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I take Dextro tablets so I'm not sure if they're similar in effect, but I'd take 2 or 3 of those to get from 3.3 up to 5. If I feel I'm dropping quickly, I'll have 3 to be sure.

I use Lucozade too. I find it quicker. I simply count the swigs in a totally sophisticated and scientific way :p

fozzie84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been told by the nurses to eat 3 glucotabs or 3 jelly babies to bring you up 1, ie if you were 3.3 it should bring you up to 4.3 after 10 mins. It's always worked pretty well for me.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
About an hour ago I was dropping steadily after a longer than planned walk. I ate one jelly baby & a small glug of Lucozade - about 6gm of carbs I think.
It raised me from about 4.4 to 6.7:
1JellyBaby.JPG

Adam29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually take 1 Dextro tablet to raise my blood 0.75. So 2 Dextro tablets would raise my level by 1.5. If I was 3.3 I'd have 2 tablets then test after 15-30 mins. They are digested with 45 mins. I used to drink lucozade but found it difficult to with the correct amounts so ended up going high after a hypo