Question on Diabetic products

Bluemarine Josephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello my friends! I hope you are all doing very very well!

About a couple of days ago I found a diabetic jam at Morisson’s.
It is the “Stute Diabetic Strawbery Jam with Sweetener”
It contains 59 grams of carbs per 100 grams of product.

I remember that during the Dafne course, we were told that we are not supposed to inject for diabetic products. The manufacturers are obligated by law to write the carbohydrate content on the products but, they are not absorbed by our body (as they are substances which do not enter the blood stream) hence do not affect blood sugar.

I had 30 grams of carbs this morning which were from fruit and a very this slice or rye bread. Spread some butter and 1 nice, rather generous, tsp of Stute jam. It is delicious, I must admit. Injected 3 units + 1 unit correction on a fasting level of 8.2.

It is now 12 midday and my blood sugar is stuck at 12.5. (It is not a problem as I will correct in an hour with lunch)

However, I felt somewhat surprised thinking that unless there is some other factor involved (hormones, etc) it should be the jam to blame…The rise is equivalent to what I would have experienced if I had the same amount of normal jam and had not injected for it…

Has any of you had any experience with diabetic products (jam, chocolates, biscuits etc?)
If you do, have you encountered something similar?

Thank you so much
Josephine

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"Diabetic" products are generally a bit of a con from what I have seen especially the jams and because of the sweeteners used they tend to have a laxative effect.

I stick with the regular stuff (or make it myself) and just dose for what I use, less fuss and a hell of a lot cheaper.

/A

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The Stute products contain extra fruit and are sweetened with Mannitol I think it is. Personally, I wouldn't bother with it and would go with normal high fruit content jam as you know exactly what you are bolusing for in that context.

Reactions: 3 people

Bluemarine Josephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your replies.
When it comes to diabetic products, have you noticed if they affect your blood glucose (despite the fact that they are not supposed to?)

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On the few occasions I have tried them they have most definitely affected my BG.
Checking the nutritional info on the packaging tends to show it is a smallish drop on the over all carb content.

Hence why I save my money and get the regular stuff, tastes nicer anyway.

/A

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Personally I ignore all 'diabetic' products as found that they contain more carbs than 'normal' products.

If your looking for a good sugar free jam then try St Dalfour jams as they are fruit spreads with no added sugar or nasties and are lovely ;)

Reactions: 2 people

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Jam is made of fruits (rather large amount). Even if there is no added sugar there will be lots of fructose from fruits. I dont think there is such thing like low carb jam

Reactions: 6 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Agree but if your not keen on giving up your jam on toast experience eating a fruit spread instead in the best alternative. Always count the carbs !

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I have done DAFNE course about 18 months ago and cannot recall being told not to inject for carbs in diabetic products. However they did not recomend them as they often had more fat in them. I know if I have diabetic chocolate my bg seems to confirm this.
type 1 for 50years, would like a pump

Bluemarine Josephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all for your lovely replies.

I have never tried any diabetic products in the past and the reason that I decided to try a diabetic jam was because I was hoping that, (since the substances used, in this case sorbitol, are not affecting blood sugar) such products would be “freebies” (somewhat equivalent to salads maybe?) and that, if I was lucky enough, I could have 1-2 diabetic chocolates with afternoon coffee or a biscuit maybe or a tbs of jam in the morning without having to inject for them…

As Ewelina so nicely mentioned (but, then again she is an experienced baker, she knows these things) Sorbitol may be safe but the fruit content in the jam isn't... This escaped my mind...

I have not tested any other diabetic products so I do not know what effect they may have on our blood sugar but, so far, it seems to me that, despite their diabetes-safe profile, they do raise blood glucose like other non-diabetic products do.

Regards
Josephine.

Bluemarine Josephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On the few occasions I have tried them they have most definitely affected my BG.
Checking the nutritional info on the packaging tends to show it is a smallish drop on the over all carb content.

Hence why I save my money and get the regular stuff, tastes nicer anyway.

/A

Thank you for your reply Andy.
It helps me knowing that another diabetic also observed a bg rise when using diabetic products (despite their diabetes-safe profile).

Bluemarine Josephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree but if your not keen on giving up your jam on toast experience eating a fruit spread instead in the best alternative. Always count the carbs !

Hello Juicyj, please forgive my ignorance... I need to ask, what is the difference between a fruit spread and a jam?
I can avoid such products like jams or sweets (and have been doing it for years as a diabetic) but, I was hoping I could (maybe) get away with a small treat, once in a blue moon, without feeling guilty that I am doing something bad to harm myself...

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi Jospehine, jam is made with refined sugar and fruit spread is made with fruit that's boiled down with lemon juice, quite a simple process if you want to make it yourself, the ingredients of the Dalfour Orange Preserve are: Oranges (50%), Unsweetened Grape Juice Concentrate, Lemon Juice, Gelling Agent (Pectin).

Given that both still contain fructose, this is the carb content, however with a spread you don't have refined sugar.

I have managed to wean myself off the sweet treats, which took some doing as I used to be big on baking !! I have a daughter and don't deprive her but we don't stockpile rubbish in the house any more and most food is made from scratch. My treats now consist of nuts, pork crackling and cheese, when I started learning about hidden sugar in food and of course knowing the insulin/BG impact, it became a mission to avoid them as much as I could. I now make a mean bakewell tart with gluten free flour, stevia and raspberry spread which is fabulous with double cream, but it's a case of being creative ;)

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello Juicyj, please forgive my ignorance... I need to ask, what is the difference between a fruit spread and a jam?
I can avoid such products like jams or sweets (and have been doing it for years as a diabetic) but, I was hoping I could (maybe) get away with a small treat, once in a blue moon, without feeling guilty that I am doing something bad to harm myself...
You still can have a bit of jam (not a whole jar ) if you count carbs and inject for it. Injecting a bit ahead will help you to avoid spikes.

viv k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your replies.
When it comes to diabetic products, have you noticed if they affect your blood glucose (despite the fact that they are not supposed to?)
I always read the %carb and don't pay much attention to the words 'diabetic product '. As for sweet treats, here in the southern hemisphere there is a range of chocolate called 'well naturally'. Their dark chocolate is 5.4% carb. 2 pieces with a coffee hits the spot for me with virtually no effect on my sugars. I sometimes have a little bit of normal jam on very thin low GI bread as a mid morning snack in the weekend when I am active, but wouldn't dare on a work day when I am mostly sitting.

mojo_101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorbitol is a laxative. Had it when first diagnosed a few times, but not for very many years now. There really isn't any point for me.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I eat normal jam. I find the cheap ones often have more sugar so tend to go for more 'premium' ones. You don't need to avoid jam @Bluemarine Josephine Just don't eat tablespoons of it in one go : D A normal scraping of jam is fine. If you need to slightly adjust your insulin then do so, but I find that jam on rye bread is fine. I have it with butter, cream cheese, etc.