Treacle Tart (lyles golden syrup tart)

letsy

I am aware this is never going to be a low carb health dessert but

what is the best lowest carb recipe anyone has ever found for this?

I was thinking an almond or coconut flour base/crust
and then some kind of erythricol/xylitol syrup mixture with just a couple of tablespoons of golden syrup
and either more almond flour or dessicated coconut for the 'breadcrumbs' recipes usually require

CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
prejudice, racism, complacency, ignorance
Hiya. You sound impressively well informed re low carb baking. I loved "treacle tart" and miss puddings like this. Why don't you make one and see if it works!!! If it does, let me know!!!

letsy

:) I will give it a go. I spent quite a long time googling to find a recipe and there doesn't seem to be one. The suggestions above were pulled together from comments here and there in other posts I came across in my google search. I've not yet cooked a single recipe with sugar substitutes so it should be an interesting challenge :)

Reactions: 2 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
:) I will give it a go. I spent quite a long time googling to find a recipe and there doesn't seem to be one. The suggestions above were pulled together from comments here and there in other posts I came across in my google search. I've not yet cooked a single recipe with sugar substitutes so it should be an interesting challenge :)
If your eating golden syrup......

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The other day I had a couple spoonfuls of Treacle Sponge pudding ( conventional carby variant). The fallout had a half life of over 10 hours, and i had a peak of more than 10 mmol/L for most of the next day. i had hoped the suet and the cream would have mitigated it somewhat, but no such luck, it seemed to prolong it. Definitely not one of my better decisions.

letsy

The other day I had a couple spoonfuls of Treacle Sponge pudding ( conventional carby variant). The fallout had a half life of over 10 hours, and i had a peak of more than 10 mmol/L for most of the next day. i had hoped the suet and the cream would have mitigated it somewhat, but no such luck, it seemed to prolong it. Definitely not one of my better decisions.

Yes. Yesterday I had a beefburger in a small bun. My BG peaked over 11mmol at 2 hours and took 5 hours to get down to 6.4 mmol...so I am thinking even very diluted golden syrup is unlikely to be something I can tolerate. :( hopes dashed :( Will have to wait until they invent a golden syrup flavouring that is sugar free.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes. Yesterday I had a beefburger in a small bun. My BG peaked over 11mmol at 2 hours and took 5 hours to get down to 6.4 mmol...so I am thinking even very diluted golden syrup is unlikely to be something I can tolerate. :( hopes dashed :( Will have to wait until they invent a golden syrup flavouring that is sugar free.
Apparently there is a honey (Agave?) that can be used in a low carb diet, and in USA there are low carb syrups and sweetners (Low & sweet comes to mind?). These have been discussed elsewhere in the forum (probably in the Low Carb thread)

EDIT: Apparently Agarve syrup is high in Fructose, so should be used sparingly.

Last edited by a moderator:

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There is a low carb marple syrup on amazon. Not sure if its the same as golden syrup but similar I guess

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is a low carb marple syrup on amazon. Not sure if its the same as golden syrup but similar I guess
Be ware and read the ingredients. Many maple syrups from Canada use corn syprup as sweetner, which totally screws the idea of LC. Avoid anything that has a 'tol in it e.g. malitol, sorbitol etc since these are the alcohol sugars.

EDIT: If we are talking the WF Zero on Amazon, then read the customer reviews. Although it does not state artificial sweetners used, it is claiming zero sugar, so it must be. (i,e, Maple tree = sugar normally) i am not sure if this is the one that uses Splenda. On another diabetes forum, WF products scored low and frequent reports of lingering after taste.

Last edited by a moderator: