New product - Diabetes.co.uk Alert ID

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
jopar said:
But police and Ambulance crews will check to see if some-one wrists and neck to see if they are wearing any medical ID's before (and I know ambulance crews don't doing this) looking through pockets, wallets and handbags
I wish that were true, they're certainly supposed to look, but never have with me... :(

jopar said:
They are now becoming accsutom to looking for ICE on mobile phones, this is where I store all the information required that I am a diabetic, I wear an insulin pump, my diaebtic/hospital clinic there numbers and GP number... Enough info for them to sort me out..
I also use the ICE method, since my bracelet is consistently ignored. Now they just have to work out how to get into my iPhone! :lol:

jopar said:
Mind you the fact that I'm wearing an insulin pump, gives a glue that I have a medical problem, even if they don't actually know what an insulin pump is!
On my last A&E visit, the consultant on duty had removed my insulin pump and cannula by the time I recovered consciousness, and gave me strict instructions not to re-attach for 12 hours. I'm so glad I have a brain of my own and some reasonable knowledge of diabetes and pumps, certainly vastly more than this frontline medical expert at the same hospital where I attend pump clinic! Needless to say I chose to ignore this little gem of wisdom, not wishing to be back at A&E with DKA before the 12 hours was up.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
jopar wrote:
But police and Ambulance crews will check to see if some-one wrists and neck to see if they are wearing any medical ID's before (and I know ambulance crews don't doing this) looking through pockets, wallets and handbags

I wish that were true, they're certainly supposed to look, but never have with me...

Hi Keg.

Well we can't have that now can we........pm me your address and I will personally make sure my mates down in Bristol keep a special eye out for you.......... :twisted: :wink:

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I also use the ICE method, since my bracelet is consistently ignored. Now they just have to work out how to get into my iPhone!

We should maybe campaign to make this standard for people with diabetes...

Speaking of iphones... watch this space.

MrsMoo

I suppose in the event of a Hypo OR perhaps even an accident, strangers in the vicinity may be able to inform emergency services of the band, therefore helping said services gain information of a persons needs for treatment and hence be able to give faster treatment than otherwise? Possibly even be able to contact a relative since I presume emergency contact details would be part of information held?

Then there are those people who cant wear metal due to allergies who might appreciate a band like this? Although maybe a universally accepted medic alert symbol of some kind which people could be taught to recognize, would be much more desirable for most than to have a load of large wordings standing out on their wrist - it wouldn't bother me! As for advertising this site that wouldn't bother me as such since I have found this site much much more helpful than any health ''professional'' so far why wouldn't I want to tell others about it?

Also have to say some of the comments about not wanting people to know about having a disease makes me feel like its something I should be ashamed of for some reason?? I am not about to go out and announce listen up i am a diabetic etc but its a fact I have diabetes its also hereditary am I to be ashamed of my ancestors now?

jocat44

Hi all,
I brought one of these bands and it arrived yesterday. I am a very non funky 35 year old. I wear an sos talisman necklace but want another option. The band is not too bulky but the colours do show up. I admit someone would have to look carefully at all the writing to see the medical info and next of kin statements, I do think this should have been in the centre and larger than the website details. My real gripe is that it is very difficult to do up and the ID number is in black so it is difficult to read. I asked my friend this evening what he thought it was and he did work it out but it took a few minutes and he is extremely knowledgable about first aid and the such. I liked being able to put more information on the database and it does include three years subscription to this. It was easy to use as well. Overall I think it will do what I want it to but time will tell.
I'm not out to contradict anyone but I thought I would give an opinion having now seen it in the flesh.
Jo

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Thanks Jo :) Always nice to hear all opinions.

It's just a matter of personal taste.

There is an international symbol - it's called the Cadeceus [Kah-dju-key-us], It's the staff and the snakes.
I like to see it on all medic-alert type jewelery, It's the one symbol that absolutely every medical service around the world knows.
Really useful if you travel a lot.

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thankyou for the objective report Jo, I'll make sure everyone's comments are taken on board.

If anyone wishes to do a petition for the ICE to be formally recognised for people with diabetes please let me know and we can add it to our petitions section.

Best,

Admin

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I have another take on this.

Many years ago I used to work as a mechanic. I NEVER wore any watches with a metallic strap - reason being that you ran the very real risk of it shorting out on an electrical connection. If you have ever seen the results from a watch strap shorting out on a starter motor connection......you would never wear one again either. The watch strap was just a molten lump of metal, the wearer ended up in hospital.

So, I think this strap has it's uses. People in hazardous dirty occupations might wear it. Everyday work wear, definitely aimed at the younger age group I think. Reminds me of the sort of thing you get at Alton Towers, if they still do ?

As for me, I prefer something a bit more decorative. More robust yet, looks good. Discreet, yet obvious at the same time. It has it's place.

jim_slim

I bought one of these as the 3 years of being able to store my medical info sounded great. The product itself is awfull, it looks terrible and the way it is designed does not work.

I use it for when i am doing excercise or other times my control might be compromised, it has fallen off about 5 times which totally destroys the point of having one.

My other complaint is that the fact that it is a medical alert bracelet is not obvious enough, it just looks like advertising for this site. I don't mind who knows that I have diabetes but I would imagine it needs to be obvious to who ever finds you having a hypo that this bracelet has all your medical info on it.

I would like to get a refund but can't figure out how to go about it.

I think that they are a great idea, although they are expensive and way out of my price range as I dare say many others on sickness benefits cant afford them either. Maybe we less fortunates will have to settle for one drawn on our wrist instead and risk being called drunk when having a hypo in the street.
But if I did have one I would definately wear it.

ninja

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi All

I've just purchased an Alert ID and registered all my details but the wristband is difficult to put on and when you manage to get it on it continually becomes unattached. The only safe place for it is in my pocket which rather defeats the object. I have contacted them for a new one but first impressions are that I should have spent more money and invested in an SOS medallion or such like which I probably will do.

Cheers
John

ham79

Dislikes
diabetes and cbeebies
sorry admin but agree with the majority it should be primarily about medical i.d not the site.
Why not offer t-shirts, mugs etc to promote something which I have and am sure many others have found an amazing thing. Thankyou

Shakira

I bought one of these bracelets, recently it became really tight. Having not put any weight on, the opposite to be exact, so i measured the bracelet and too my astonishment it has shrunk to 22cm's. Is there anyway to get a replacement, as im pretty sure this isnt supposed to happen. I cant seem to find a way of contacting anyone about this

EDIT: its also gone really stiff

hallii

Someone I know in A&E at a hospital tells me that the thing they look for is something round the neck, but I don't think they could miss that wrist band, even if it's under a coat sleeve? Hmmmm maybe!

H