New product - Diabetes.co.uk Alert ID

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Fight the power, use the free resources. Genius. Really makes one glad to put thousands of hours of effort in :?

Fujifilm - I got a good laugh from your 'I'm out' as well, and thankyou for your forthright opinion. I certainly didn't mean to insult you. It's just upsetting because having put a lot of work into the product
it's a shame if people think it's some advertising scam rather than something genuinely useful.

As I expected some people will disagree with the product on principle, others will disagree simply for the sake of disagreement, others will agree with it, some will buy it and use it. If it helps a few people, then it's worth doing. They are actually really quite impressive in the flesh.

Best,

Admin

Fujifilm

Fight the power, use the free resources. Genius. Really makes one glad to put thousands of hours of effort in

I run a couple of websites and they also have free resources, but its those free resources that bring in the numbers to allow me to make money from advertisng etc. :) But I do know where you are coming from and know how many hours it takes to run websites which is why I am up half of the night. :lol:

As for the wrist band I can see how it must be upsetting to put hours of work into something that people don't like, or misinterpret your intentions, but all feedback must be good feedback, I can only tell you my opinion and I am not always right, so my wife tells me :D

As I expected some people will disagree with the product on principle, others will disagree simply for the sake of disagreement, others will agree with it, some will buy it and use it. If it helps a few people

You will never please all the people all the time, and like you say if it helps a few people thats got be commended.

I would just like to add, that if Heinken did diabetic forums this would be the one. :D

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
The idea is great, but the design is awful and the education (in the wider public) severely lacking as to it's general purpose.

I've always worn a Medic-Alert bracelet, but on the occasions I really needed the help, none was forthcoming. First time the bracelet and my watch were actually stolen from me while semi-conscious on the pavement, I was subsequently rescued by my friends. Second time the police completely failed to notice it, had already breathalysed me and were carting me off to the cells when I started fitting and they thought maybe hospital was a better destination. Now I think of it there was a third incident too, also involving the police, where I awoke handcuffed to a gurney in A&E. The police had apparently thought I was "high on drugs", despite the bracelet being prominently visible - they would have seen it while attaching the handcuffs! Nice.

But I still wear the bracelet, just to keep everyone I know happy, however it's totally useless unless/until people know what it's for.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Fujifilm said:
Also I would love to be able to put the same info on my mobile phone so when the main screen comes up it says I am diabetic etc. Because again I think one of the first things someone would check is your mobile to see if there was an "obvious" number to contact. Mum, Dad, Doctor etc.

It is advisable to put your next of kins phone number under ICE in your phone. ICE (In Case of Emergency) this has been done for many years by motorcyclists and is now recommended practice for anyone with a medical condition.

Admin, I always wear both a bracelet and a necklace with DIABETIC clearly displayed, along with my medical emergency card in my wallet and my ICE number on my phone and unlike others posting here I dont care who knows I am diabetic, better people know than ignore me when I maybe go hypo :)

Like others though I don't like the bracelet you are offering as I wouldnt wear anything that blatantly advertises anything. I wont wear designer labels for that reason so I certainly wouldnt walk around advertising a web site on my wrist, regardless of the usefulness of said web site. Also as others have pointed out nowhere in the posted image does it say anything about it being a medical alert, just Diabates.co.uk. Perhaps the medical alert is on the other side out of sight.

I do believe that every insulin dependent diabetic should carry/wear some form of medical alert, but this one is not for me.

Fujifilm

Sid Bonkers said:
It is advisable to put your next of kins phone number under ICE in your phone. ICE (In Case of Emergency) this has been done for many years by motorcyclists and is now recommended practice for anyone with a medical condition.

I did not know that, have now added the enemy''s ( wife) number under ICE, you now watch me get accused of having some chick called Ice :lol:

Or worse still, I have needles etc. in my pocket and the word ICE in my phone, I am going to get pulled and the police are going to think its a direct line to a drug dealer. :lol:

Edwardia

I used to live in Canada and was used to seeing Medic Alert cards in doctors surgeries and hospitals. I used www.medicalert.org to find the London office. Medic Alert is a registered charity.
You choose which type of ID you want and what you want engraved on it. My bracelet was custom made to fit my wrist without constricting my circulation. It has Medic Alert on the face but the other info is on the reverse. I have it because I'm allergic to penicillin.

I think the PVC band is ugly and as someone who does a lot of cooking, I wouldn't want to risk PVC melting onto my skin.

Another ad on this website btw,could also be unnecessary. My husband gets free annual worldwide travel insurance for both of us with his current account,even though I am T2.

nannybarbara

Looks like an all-inclusive holiday, cheap and nasty, identification band to me. No thanks! Memories of a dreadful holiday complex in Mallorca (first time and never again)! :evil:

Barb

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
ahem, has anyone actually seen the product? Judging by the number of orders, quite a lot of people seem to like them.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
That could be parents buying for their diabetic kids... It's a great idea, but I can't see kids/teens wearing 'em.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Perhaps the best time to ask for views on a possible new product is at the creation stage not once it is in existence! I do consultation at work and would not dream of telling those I consult that they are wrong!!!!!

Doug

C

catherinecherub

I am sure Dan can enlighten us at to whether any diabetics were involved in the design of the product.

Most people here seem to want something that is unobtrusive? Surely that defeats the objective?

Fujifilm

catherinecherub said:
Most people here seem to want something that is unobtrusive? Surely that defeats the objective?

You are right it does appear to defeat the object, :(

But as you say
Most people want something unobtrusive.
I would have thought that the "most people" is the market you would aim at. :D

But to be fair, the administrator pointed out earlier
They are actually really quite impressive in the flesh.
So maybe a lot of us are being judge and jury without seeing it.

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
How are we going to see it without buying it?

I'm not going to spend money on seomthing I don't like, just to see if i 'might' like it.
I'm just giving you my opinion.
I don't like the look of it. That's it.

Catherine, most people talking here want something unobtrusive. That doesn't mean most people, or most diabetics.
Osidge, they aren't asking for views.
A debate started up on facebook about it, and they moved it here. I'm sure they asked people about it before it went into production.

Just because I don't like it doesn't make it bad, or tack, or useless. Just that I don't like it.

Fujifilm

Celtic.Piskie said:
How are we going to see it without buying it?

And why would you buy it without seeing it :D

I was only trying to be fair to the administrator, who had pointed out it looked better in real life. I have already stated that I would not buy one.

I'm sure they asked people about it before it went into production.
They may have asked people, but were they diabetics ? or anyone who might wear a medical alert. Because it seems the majority don't actually like it.

Its not only this product though, how many things have you bought and used that you think who the hell designed this?

Bit like those top 100 pop stars (example) of the 20th century type programs and the winner is someone nobodys heard of. and nobody knows anyone who actually took part. :?

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Being diabetic has nothing to do with liking it's style or not.
This is simply a questions of aesthetics.

We're all different, and unless you too like corsets and steampunk, i'm sure my tastes are different to yours.
I haven't seen another one like it around, yet there are absolutely loads of the discreet silver / gold variety everywhere.
I wouldn't say the majority don't like it. I think it's irrelevant how many people dislike it.
If you want something discreet, there are already products out there that do that.
There are loads of silver and gold ones, dog tag type ones, locket types.
I haven't seen another one like this.
Which is good.

The more variety of things people have to choose from, the more chance they'll actually wear one.
Which can only be good.

Fujifilm

Celtic.Piskie said:
I wouldn't say the majority don't like it. I think it's irrelevant how many people dislike it.

I would say the majority do not like it judging by the reaction of most posters. I also think it relevant to how many people like it because someone is producing a product and concept to help a lot of people so the more mainstream the item the better. I would have thought?

I am not sure why you think I am actually defending it because I am not I hate the look of it and would agree there are a lot nicer products out there.

Celtic.Piskie said:
We're all different, and unless you too like corsets and steampunk, i'm sure my tastes are different to yours.

I just had to look up what steampunk was. :oops:

I like it :D :D :D :D :D

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
*wohoo* Convert :D

I don't think you're defending it. I just think that the reason it's different, the reason that I, personally hate it, is the reason it's good.
It's not like all the rest, which is good because now people will buy it, rather than one of the other things.
This thread has turned out to be a *why we hate it* thread, plus, always 10+ complaints for 1 compliment. People always complain louder, partly because it's easier to articulate, and it makes you feel better to know that someone else dislikes / is upset / doesn't agree too.

I just think that there are already so many of the same medic alerts, all the same. If they want someone to buy theirs rather than someone else's, it has to be different.

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Catherine, most people talking here want something unobtrusive.

I quite agree. However, there is a fine balance to be struck between drawing attention and subtlety. If something is ugly and bulky it will put off most users. I.e: many would not wear this on nights out of course. But in the case of this product there is a certain need to attract attention when it is necessary.

I'd consider this product to be something that people would wear under specific circumstances - child/young adult playing sport, if they were out of their usual environment and uncertain about their control, if they were visiting friends or relatives and could be put into a situation where having this product would be useful.

Really, this type of product is a microscopic part of what we do. Our initial test team, including diabetics, seemed quite impressed by the product. I was interested by what our forum would say, and think it's important for people with diabetes to have their say, one of the major reasons for setting this entire thing up and allowing it (often under great pressure) to run along unrestricted and uncensored.

jopar

As to the ID band I have seen similar product more so aimed at children or the more funky minded adult which I think this product is aimed, but there again we should (dan you could arrange) give Hanna one to test run others reaction while she's out on one of her rambles :D

The only concern I would have, is giving my personal information and intrusting this to a company and there data base...

But police and Ambulance crews will check to see if some-one wrists and neck to see if they are wearing any medical ID's before (and I know ambulance crews don't doing this) looking through pockets, wallets and handbags

They are now becoming accsutom to looking for ICE on mobile phones, this is where I store all the information required that I am a diabetic, I wear an insulin pump, my diaebtic/hospital clinic there numbers and GP number... Enough info for them to sort me out..

Mind you the fact that I'm wearing an insulin pump, gives a glue that I have a medical problem, even if they don't actually know what an insulin pump is!

I would also assume, as this venture starts heading up-wards that they would start to look at expanding there product range to include different ID's that are more suitable for different occassions along side more able to meet individual tasts!!!