Dairy

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi Munkki, Everyone is different and reacts to certain foods. I can only tell you what works for me. I eat eggs always poached or boiled, Alpro unsweetened milk Almond or coconut flavour, in tea and coffee, do not eat a lot of cheese, [but never have] eat lots of greek yogurt, Alpro with Almond or coconut yogurt. Raw oats from Aldi topped with yogurt repeat again and top with Almond nuts and rasberries, I make 2 or 3 up at a time always have 1 a day. Have lost weight and feel healthier. :happy::happy:

Reactions: 3 people

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Give it a go, I thought curry without meat would be as boring as a cat owner's dinner party but actually i found it's amazing! :)

I was vegan for several years, so it's not new to me - but since being diagnosed with prediabetes and drastically reducing carbs, and without the option of eating more nuts etc, I've not been able to do it. I don't think it's boring - but I do think it's to hard satiate hunger, and to sort out convenient snacks etc. However, reading this thread has encouraged me to try to reduce dairy again, at least a bit.

intelligenteating

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Close minded people.
I look for foods such as squashes and jackfruit to main satiety - a vegan diet can be terrible, and you're right nuts are extremely fattening, particularly the way they are marketed these days. Dairy is just a weird one though, quite why someone would even want to drink the mammary fluid of another animal is just plain odd.

D

Deleted member 43917

I stopped eating dairy about 4 months ago, on the advice of my nutritionist, primarily to see if it would help the scalp psoriasis I had suffered from for almost 6 years. Amazingly, it worked and my scalp is now clear. She thinks it will also help reduce my insulin resistance so I am continuing with the dairy-free regime.

Fortunately, I have never been keen on milk and cream but miss cheese a lot, although I find it's easier to have none at all rather than tiny amounts for flavouring. I make my own coconut yogurt, enjoy soya and almond milk and am wondering about having a go at making nut 'cheeses' after finding a book on the subject in my local charity shop. Nutritional yeast is brilliant for adding a savoury tang but it just doesn't offer a decent substitute when what you really want is a cheese sauce. Definitely up for joining in your February venture...

I'm T2, diagnosed June 2007, controlled by diet.
That's really interesting that your psoriasis cleared up. I've been having psoriasis for some months now. I've cut out yogurt lately but I've been finding that I'm craving butter - so I guess I need to up my healthy fats and perhaps eat more oily fish and avocados and nuts.

intelligenteating

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Close minded people.
Lots of skin conditions certainly do seem to 'disappear' on stopping consumption of animal secretions. My wife suffered from terrible acne, which disappeared within a month on cessation of dairy products!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Lots of skin conditions certainly do seem to 'disappear' on stopping consumption of animal secretions. My wife suffered from terrible acne, which disappeared within a month on cessation of dairy products!

You seem to have an aversion to animal products as you call them.
Without the dairy industry, I would assume, not that you do, that the world's health would be a lot worse than it is, and it's bad.
Because those who can and it's the vast majority of humans can and find good healthy nourishment from animals, then why do you want to **** it off at every available thread?

Why can't you let these people decide for themselves how they want to live their lives, if they can find benefits from it, what's the problem?

This site is a support group and those who eat other than what you think is right it's their choice and they have every right to do so, it should be posters function to advise, not criticise.

By the way, I'm not lactose intolerant, but can't eat dairy, I would not dream of slamming the dairy industry as its helped my family in so many ways.

Because I can't eat carbs, I have to rely on healthy protein, namely meat and natural animal fats to feed myself. There is no substitution, no matter what vegans like yourself espouse about healthy eating. I won't criticise vegetarian or vegan posters either.

If you can't join in the forum, why bother?

intelligenteating

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Close minded people.
I'm not here to argue. Dairy is cruel and unnecessary - it's that simple. I appreciate your point, but I'm sorry, you're wrong.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dear Adam, if you're not arguing, how am I wrong?

Life is cruel, ask all the unfortunates, in every country in the world to deny them good nourishment because of using animals to feed us!
If life isn't cruel, why are you trying to look after yourself?

Life is s...! Then you die.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
And I apologise for derailing the thread.
please excuse me.

intelligenteating

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Close minded people.
As written by the earlier responses, virtually everyone has said from their own experiences that they've become more healthy once they have stopped or reduced their consumption of dairy. It just makes sense, we need milk once in our lives from birth until the end of weaning, and that is our mothers milk. Of course, there are populations around the world that consume dairy, but all successful populations will obtain the bulk of their calories from plant based sources, that's irrefutable. Yes, there will be times, be it celebratory such as a full moon, or a birthday where this changes, or in cases of food scarcity - but for the vast majority of the planet, and the majority of the time, they survive on a predominant diet of starches, be it potatoes, rice, millet, barley etc... and then throw in all the fruits, veggies and so on.

The issue and why there's even a thread about dairy is the over consumption of the food - so while the populations you mention may need to consume dairy products for survival, here in the UK we're doing it habitually 2-3-4-5 times a day and that's where the problems start...

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
bilirubin levels quite high, do u have liver disease?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
As written by the earlier responses, virtually everyone has said from their own experiences that they've become more healthy once they have stopped or reduced their consumption of dairy. It just makes sense, we need milk once in our lives from birth until the end of weaning, and that is our mothers milk. Of course, there are populations around the world that consume dairy, but all successful populations will obtain the bulk of their calories from plant based sources, that's irrefutable. Yes, there will be times, be it celebratory such as a full moon, or a birthday where this changes, or in cases of food scarcity - but for the vast majority of the planet, and the majority of the time, they survive on a predominant diet of starches, be it potatoes, rice, millet, barley etc... and then throw in all the fruits, veggies and so on.

The issue and why there's even a thread about dairy is the over consumption of the food - so while the populations you mention may need to consume dairy products for survival, here in the UK we're doing it habitually 2-3-4-5 times a day and that's where the problems start...

So is this, a load of twaddle.

I don't eat, vegan, I only eat meat, a few salad veg that don't upset me and a piece of fruit for nutritional values.

Everything animals eat (including us) is bio matter, no matter, how it is derived and to our own tastes and how our species, fed themselves and dependent on our genetic history.
And what our bodies could withstand.
It would make more sense, if you said, if the human population ate as much as a varied and diverse diet as possible including everything in good nutritional value to us, including insects, instead of the way the food industry wants us to feed ourselves and the barons of food production do.

Eaten in moderation, anything we can eat, will do us good rather than harm!
Everything eaten in gluttony or lack of, in famine, is bad for us.
The worse the staple diet, the worse the population is!

Any nutritionist worth there diplomas, would recommend dairy as an essential part of modern living!

dms1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Goodness me, what a lot of unnecessary anger around...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My skin has never been better since ditching the low fat alternatives and lathering butter all over my food. (apart from the wrinkles I can't do much about without a face lift). Butter, cheese, FF yogurts, cream. My skin is lovely and soft, clear, not spotty, not itchy, neither dry nor greasy. Each to their own.

Reactions: 4 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@dms1 Would you mind giving us your recipe for coconut yoghurt? There was a thread about it a while back and I made several attempt to make my own, but the attempts were pretty unsuccessful. I'd love to find a reliable recipe :)

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'd like to reduce my dairy intake but I'm allergic to most nuts, and avocados. I have soya in my tea, but I eat a lot of cheeses. My BG stays within the 'normal' range nowadays, but I think I'd get really hungry, and bored without it! Reading one of the links suggests butter and cream aren't so bad?

Yes, according to the amount of insulin produced to deal with it (as in it's pretty low, which is good) - cream and butter are really low insulin-response producing foods, is my understanding, as is yours. I think also are the soft cheeses brie and camembert, from memory.

The fact that you have normal range BG levels means whatever you are doing works! So why change a good thing? Munkki, Petrel and I (so far) are experimenting with reducing dairy, and seeing if it affects our BG in a good way, ie if there is any appreciable effect. But if you are already there, BG wise, and satiety/feeling full I believe to be really important in maintaining long-term healthy relations with food - don't worry about cutting the cheese! Is what I would say. :) (Did I really write 'cutting the cheese'? Dear me!)

Last edited by a moderator:

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I look for foods such as squashes and jackfruit to main satiety - a vegan diet can be terrible, and you're right nuts are extremely fattening, particularly the way they are marketed these days. Dairy is just a weird one though, quite why someone would even want to drink the mammary fluid of another animal is just plain odd.

I had to look 'jackfruit' up to know what it was!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackfruit
Then I looked up its carb content
https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/usda/jackfruit
- which as we are to varying degrees diabetic - we are very interested in the carb content of food. And one cup of sliced jackfruit is nearly 40% carb. (Jackfruit are related to figs and are a kind of breadfruit?) They sound delish, but I can't eat anything that high in carbs.

Squash has a low carb content though - only 3% carbs in a cup of it sliced. I'd have to eat a LOT of squash for it to fill me up though!

I personally don't slam anyone for their choice of food. I am happily massively a carnivore, but I respect and admire vegetarians who choose not to eat animals, and animal products for philosophical reasons. It's an extremely personal choice, and who can tell anyone what they should be eating and drinking? We, in this forum, discuss food at length as we are extremely aware of the health consequences of food choice, and we need to discuss it because of our health issues. You are here 'intelligenteating' to tell us what food is 'odd' 'disgusting' 'weird'? And you are not diabetic yourself? Hmmmm.

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, according to the amount of insulin produced to deal with it (as in it's pretty low, which is good) - cream and butter are really low insulin-response producing foods, is my understanding, as is yours. I think also are the soft cheeses brie and camembert, from memory.

The fact that you have normal range BG levels means whatever you are doing works! So why change a good thing? Munkki, Petrel and I (so far) are experimenting with reducing dairy, and seeing if it affects our BG in a good way, ie if there is any appreciable effect. But if you are already there, BG wise, and satiety/feeling full I believe to be really important in maintaining long-term healthy relations with food - don't worry about cutting the cheese! Is what I would say. :) (Did I really write 'cutting the cheese'? Dear me!)

Ha ha! I'll relax about cutting the cheese then!! Not sure my friends will thank you for that advice!