Downunder on the Newcastle Diet- Results and Progress

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Well done to you both guys, great achievements. Really impressive results. Good luck with transitioning to a less restrictive diet and let us know how it goes.
Thanks Bulkbiker
It has been great but you are so right about the transition so I will be hanging around here like a bad smell

Reactions: 4 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Good Evening All
FBG 4,7

Well tomorrow is my last day on the ND with a final weigh in on Sunday. And yes I did crack the 90 kg mark this morning thus qualifying for my reward of a Sausage and Egg Toasted sandwich. After thinking about it and looking forward to it I surprised my self by forgoing the reward.

I will admit to being very tired this week and probably really noticing the effect of 800 cals a day more than any other week in the diet. I have been doing a lot of work on my transition diet that will start on Sunday and will spend a fair bit of time on that over this weekend.

I will report on the results of the diet on Sunday and my new goals etc going forward

Reactions: 4 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Good Evening All
FBG 4.6

Well this is the last day of my Newcastle diet. 1 dish of steamed veges to go!!

It has been an amazing 8 weeks and I will do a summary tomorrow morning after my last weigh in. I have spent a lot of time over the last few weeks deciding what my diet will be going forward and it is to some extent a movable feast (excuse the pun)

It will be LCHF building to a maximum of 1800 cals a week and remaining there until I reach my weight goal.

Reactions: 8 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Good Morning All

Well I have finally finished 8 weeks of the Newcastle Diet

Starting BFG 9.7
Finishing BFG 4.9
Last 30 days average BG 5.3
Starting Weight 105.5kg (232.6lb)
Today's Weight 89.5 kg (197.3lb)
Weight Loss 16 kg (35.3lb)
Starting BMI 35.89
Todays BMI 30.44

What did I do?

Daily Diet
Breakfast 1 x Optifast Shake 207 Calories
Lunch 1 x Optifast Shake 207 Calories
Tea 1 x Optifast Shake 207 Calories
Supper Veges steamed and variations 180-200 calories

Exercise 3 x30 minute walks (minimum 10000 steps a day). I did do some strengthening exercises early on but gave them away several weeks in

I stopped taking Metformin 1000mg after two weeks as an experiment because my levels had dropped so quickly. They continued to drop so I ceased using the medication. Please note that this was my decision not sanction by my GP so not something I would recommend.

During the diet I started feeling the cold a lot more from quite early on (not such an issue in Summer in Australia).
I did struggle with energy in the afternoons and about six weeks in had some constipation which was corrected by taking Metamucil each day (psyllium husks) and towards the end got so bored with the diet but it worked for me because it was so simple

The Newcastle diet exceeded all my expectations. I am due for a HbA1c test but I am leaving that for another 4 weeks so it will be from the start of the diet.

I would like to thank all on here for the support that helped get me thru particularly @EdMac and @Borzoi who were pretty much going thru the same journey on the same timing

I am off to have a cooked breakfast and will continue my journey with a LCHF diet looking to lose another 4 kg over the next six weeks and I transition to 1800 calories a day

Thanks All

Borzoi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations friend! I'm really hoping the overall results sustain in the long term and this sugar issue will be a thing of the past. Sending good thoughts your way for the upcoming A1C testing. :) Enjoy the (relatively) normal food again!

Last edited by a moderator:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
That's great!! Congratulations. I hope you really enjoyed your cooked breakfast. :) :) :)

Reactions: 2 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That's great!! Congratulations. I hope you really enjoyed your cooked breakfast. :) :) :)
Thanks Chook
Actually being feeling like I have a brick in my tum all day. (Might need some of those Psyllium Husks you recommended) Feeling nervous about the next few weeks and settling in to a new diet.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Congratulations friend! I'm really hoping the overall results sustain in the long term and this sugar issue will be a thing of the past. Sending good thoughts your way for the upcoming A1C testing. :) Enjoy the (relatively) normal food again!
Thanks Borzoi
By the way tried a carb dump today 100g potato Chips. 1 hr 8.2 2 hrs 9.1 4 hrs. 4.6 won't try that again but very happy with the 4 hour recovery.
Looking forward to the cookbook being published.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well done Muzza - your results are brilliant and a deserved reward for the dedication you have shown in pursuing your goal. An example of the power of making a congruent choice if ever there was one! I don't think I've seen you complain once - an inspiration. Have fun exploring your new dietary freedom - discovering what the flexible boundaries and the immovable barriers are ;) I look forward to continued updates on progress!
Thanks again for your support EdMac
The Dietary freedom is a bit scary so I will be be haunting the posts on LCHF and the other great advice that I get here as I still have 10kg to hit my target. Many on here have pointed out the YO YO effect of fast weight loss and I don't dismiss them as some have seen it over many years. So now I start the 8 week Canberra Diet.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
How are you getting on with 'real' food? :) Has the 'brick in tum' feeling gone?

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
How are you getting on with 'real' food? :) Has the 'brick in tum' feeling gone?
Thanks Chook
Day two was much better but I find I miss that simplicity of the Newcastle Diet regime (Not the Shakes) with so many choices now to make. I am a little carb shy as I really do not want to go backwards over the first couple of weeks so my LCHF is turning into Keto but I am OK with that. BFG this morning was 4.1. I think I may start a thread for Post Newcastle/8 week dieters and support

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well done you on keeping such firm control and not falling face first in to a tray of doughnuts.

Oh yes, a new thread that would be great. I started trialling the 8 week diet combined with low carb last week and it would be nice to have a community post to share results and problems.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well done you on keeping such firm control and not falling face first in to a tray of doughnuts.

Oh yes, a new thread that would be great. I started trialling the 8 week diet combined with low carb last week and it would be nice to have a community post to share results and problems.
Thanks Chook
Did you have to mention doughnuts? Absolutely with the experience you and others posters can supply and also the number of people who now seem to be finishing, on or taking up these diets I think it is worthwhile I'll try and kick one off

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Let me know when you start it :) it will be nice to give/receive support.

I go on holiday at the end of this week but I've been so impressed with how it's worked that I will re-start as soon as I get back home. I will, however, stay low carbing while on holiday as I don't want to start injecting insulin again.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Let me know when you start it :) it will be nice to give/receive support.

I go on holiday at the end of this week but I've been so impressed with how it's worked that I will re-start as soon as I get back home. I will, however, stay low carbing while on holiday as I don't want to start injecting insulin again.
Have a great break and a (few) treats thanks for your support