6 month review - Result!!

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Hi Folks,

I didnt post on Success Stories because that string doesnt seem to get read any more....

I was diagnosed in May :-
HBA1C 10.3
Fasting BG 13
Weight 17stone 5
Trigs 7.7
2 x 500 Metformin

3 month review last August
HBA1C 5.8
Fasting BG Never higher than 5's - Meal +2, never higher than 6.9
Weight 14st 6
Trigs 1
Reduced medication to 1 x 500 Metformin

Today had my 6 month review
HBA1C 5.6
Fasting BG Never Higher than 5's - Meal + 2, never higher than 6.9
Weight 13st 6
Trigs 0.9
OFF MEDICATION!!

BP and cholesterol was never a problem even on diagnosis.
The diabetic nurse told me that she is having a torrid time trying to get practice diabetics even to take their medication, let alone diet and exercise. She said that she only wished that they would be like me and "take it on" and she asked me if I would go along to speak at her group therapy sessions to provide encouragement to the group.

My final goal is to get HBA1C down to 5.0/5.1, weight down to 13stone, BMI down to 25, and maintain, maintain, maintain.

Regards Steve

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Congratulations Steve, great progress ,you must be over the moon!!

Cowboyjim

WTG! As they say... well, my kids do.
The DN comment sounds all too familiar. Several nurses I know (lucky me!) OTR told me it's the patients' mindset that's the problem. They lean back on the meds (those that take em) and expect to get fixed whenever and whatever or don't believe it'll happen to them... crazy.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Steve.

Great result. Glad to see it is all working for you. :D

As for the success stories, it will grow I am sure, just they get 'hijacked' with too many comments. Might try and tidy it up a bit so the stories are more accessible........another job :(

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Congratulations Steve that's brilliant
Just a thought though
If you are under 60 years old, that 1 Metformin 500 was giving you free prescriptions.
Hana

gateian

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done. That's really great news. Glad to see how well you are doing. :D

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Thanks for the comments and support guys, my DN's comments about failing to get patients on board were mirrored by my daughter a third year student, who during her diabetic module was told that 40% of NHS diabetics on medication, do not take their medication!.
Hana,
My exemption runs for 5 years. I also take allaupurinol for gout, which reduces my Uric acid levels and hence protects my kidneys to an extent from the occasional effects of hypoglycaemia. So I argue that I am still taking meds for my diabetes. :lol:
The pharmacist wont ask any questions, as I am not obliged to ask for metformin every time I get a prescription. :wink:
Then Again??.

Regards Steve

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
i make no wonder u are over the moon,that is brilliant :D
keep up the hard work

bronte

Well done I am so pleased for you. I am sure you will reach your goals with that positive outlook!.
Best wishes
Helen

wallycorker

Great stuff Steve!!! Massive!!! WTG whatever that means!!! :D (Way to go?)

It really does just go to show what is achievable for many Type 2s - and all in only six months as far as you are concerned.

Keep it up!

Best wishes - John

wallycorker

cugila said:
........As for the success stories, it will grow I am sure, just they get 'hijacked' with too many comments. Might try and tidy it up a bit so the stories are more accessible........another job :(
A great idea Ken! In my opinion the Success Stories threads are too hard to find for newbies at present.

What about splitting them into Type 1 and Type 2 (or insulin-dependent and non-insulin dependent) or something similar? With - or preferably without - the "high-carb" and "low-carb" dietary split.

John

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Great stuff Steve well done, keep spreading the word :D

Regards
Graham