Keeping On Track - after the Newcastle/Mosely Diet

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
I think the presence of 'we skeptics' ;) and the fact that self testing on bg is becoming more and more popular may help people to maintain their weight loss and overall control.

Which is brilliant.

There is also so much more understanding of how carbs (and their addictive qualities) affect us.

People are now in a better situation than they have ever been to handle the post-diet issues that may occur - so I see that as a hugely positive thing. :)

It is as though we are finally getting somewhere with bg, diet, carb and weight comprehension after decades of the LF Dark Ages.

:D
Hi Brunneria
Absolutely agree

Things in the Australian system including dietary advice are very similar to the UK NHS. The only big difference is type 2's are encouraged and subsidised to self monitor

This is a tremendous forum because of the experience and diverse views that have come from those experiences. I come here from Aussie because of those factors and don't dismiss contrary views but consider them when making the decisions that are right for me. The knowledge I have have picked up here in two months is more than in the previous three years since being diagnosed.

And you made me chuckle;)

Thanks

Reactions: 4 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Brunneria
Absolutely agree

Things in the Australian system including dietary advice are very similar to the UK NHS. The only big difference is type 2's are encouraged and subsidised to self monitor

This is a tremendous forum because of the experience and diverse views that have come from those experiences. I come here from Aussie because of those factors and don't dismiss contrary views but consider them when making the decisions that are right for me. The knowledge I have have picked up here in two months is more than in the previous three years since being diagnosed.

And you made me chuckle;)

Thanks
I don't know if you've heard/read anything about it, but it seems that the Federal Government are cutting subsidised test strips for non-insulin dependent type 2's from July 1 :(

I put up a thread about it when I first found out about it a few months ago.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Indy51
Thanks for that. ******!! Have you heard the detail yet? Wow that is so DUMB!! I couldn't see anything on NDSS

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's an article about it on Diabetes Australia site - I've linked to it in the thread referenced above.

Yes, very short sighted especially if it's going to apply to the newly diagnosed :(

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Indy51
Thanks for that I will hunt around to see if they have provided the detail yet as it is only 4 months away I'll post if I can find anything out at this end and tag you
Thanks Again

Reactions: 2 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Evening all
BFG 4.8 this morning.
I had Hamburger with the lot for tea last night the first since the start of the New Year so I thought I would test it.
5.1 before 7.1 after 2 hours and 6.1 after 3 hours (Couldn't test at 4 hours as I was fast asleep)
So it might appear on the menu a little more often (Depending on this weeks weigh in in the morning)

Reactions: 2 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
2 Weeks after ND

BFG 4.2
Weight loss this week 1.2lb
194lb

Blood Glucose levels have been fantastic with sub 5 BFG's everyday

Great to have lost weight for again as I am transitioning to the LCHF diet. It is interesting that after the rapid weight loss during the ND I feel dissatisfied with this when it is the sort of weight loss that is sustainable.

I am enjoying my meals and don't feel I am missing out.So this week will be one of stabilising my diet @ around 1300 cal and less than 50g of Carb

neil1945

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Pipp

I appreciate you pointing that out. I was quite happy to post the whole lot as I was interested in feedback. Yes re diet after these results I told my Doctor that my biggest challenge was now to build a new diet based on LCHF. He suggested I see a Diabetic Dietitian I advised him that I couldn't afford that setback
Mary Kemp has worked with type 2 diabetics for over 20 years. She is determined to turn the type 2 tide by giving people the information at FreeFromType2.com
also at Diabetes Daily - she produces LCHF diet plans - I have no connection with this just using it to lower my carb intake

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Indy51

I had this reply to my enquiry re strips from Gil Cremer CEO of Diabetics ACT on Monday
Dear Murray
Thank you for your enquiry regarding the Australian Government’s decision to introduce changes to the subsidies for blood glucose test strips for people living with type 2 diabetes. Unfortunately, I am unable to provide any clarity at this stage, but it is my understanding that the changes will be introduced from 1 July 2016. It is also my understanding that the release of the details about these changes are imminent. We will share this information with our members and supporters as soon as it becomes available

Not very satisfactory!!

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mary Kemp has worked with type 2 diabetics for over 20 years. She is determined to turn the type 2 tide by giving people the information at FreeFromType2.com
also at Diabetes Daily - she produces LCHF diet plans - I have no connection with this just using it to lower my carb intake
Thanks Neil

I'll have a look at it tonight when I get home from work
Very much appreciated

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not satisfactory at all - but typical of politicians :(

I'll admit, I've been stockpiling a bit trying to build up a reserve to carry me going for a few months afterwards. Then I'll need to decide whether it's worthwhile or economically viable to start self-funding. My current meter test strips are $60+ a box full price.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not satisfactory at all - but typical of politicians :(

I'll admit, I've been stockpiling a bit trying to build up a reserve to carry me going for a few months afterwards. Then I'll need to decide whether it's worthwhile or economically viable to start self-funding. My current meter test strips are $60+ a box full price.
I hadn't considered that. Good advice I think I might do the same. I will try a few other sources and organisations for more info

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @neil1945
I have requested it be emailed to me
Cheers

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Just an update in week 3 LCHF

I have been getting a bit frustrated with "normal weight loss" of 1lb plus a week but have also being eating heaps.

I love nearly all meats, cheeses and dairy and salads are fantastic. Also used zucchini as a spaghetti replacement for the first time this week and it was great.

But I have decided to be more strict with my carbs this week to see what impact that has

FBG's have been great between 4.2 and 4.8 each morning over the last fortnight

Reactions: 3 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just an update in week 3 LCHF

I have been getting a bit frustrated with "normal weight loss" of 1lb plus a week but have also being eating heaps.

I love nearly all meats, cheeses and dairy and salads are fantastic. Also used zucchini as a spaghetti replacement for the first time this week and it was great.

But I have decided to be more strict with my carbs this week to see what impact that has

FBG's have been great between 4.2 and 4.8 each morning over the last fortnight
@muzza3 I am not going to be sorry for you, with weight loss of more than 1lb a week and fasting numbers like that. You seem to have achieved your goal.
:)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Wow! Those FBG are pretty amazing!! Well done! How much more weight would you like go lose?

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congrats @muzza3 for getting your sugars down. I have always wondered what happens after people hit their target weights and sugar. Personally I think I would be increasing the fats and carbs until I leveled both out where I wasn't affecting my blood sugars and I wasn't losing weight. If either caused a reversal, then Id increase the other and reduce the offending one.
PS I am aiming only to lose 1 -2 lb a week so my skin has a chance to adapt and mainten its elasticity. So far I have calculated my diet properly where I lose 2lb a week and see a drop in BS.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@muzza3 I am not going to be sorry for you, with weight loss of more than 1lb a week and fasting numbers like that. You seem to have achieved your goal.
:)
Thanks Pipp
I really appreciate your no nonsense, common sense responses and support. You are a real asset to this forum and an inspiration. I am looking forward to the point where I can add " I reversed my type 2" to my avatar

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Wow! Those FBG are pretty amazing!! Well done! How much more weight would you like go lose?
Thanks Chook
I have really appreciated your support on this journey. My goal when I first started with the ND was 79Kg or 172.4 lb. That will have me at the bottom end of overweight on the BMI scale. I see no need to change that at this stage so about 20lbs to go