How often do you weigh yourself?

Punt1971

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So, how often do you weight yourself?

I've been doing the Newcastle Diet for four weeks now and have lost around 20lbs. I usually weigh myself on the Monday morning straight after my morning business and before breakfast. Seeing the weight fall off is quite motivating!

I've also been reading that some studies suggest weighing in every day. I did this yesterday and today and I seem to have put on 1lb since yesterday! Very de-motivating so I'll stick with the weekly weigh in.

What do you lot do?

Reactions: 2 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I go once every two weeks, it's enough to show the trend without getting obsessed with the numbers, it is easy to do. A kilo here or there at the moment is nothing to worry about.
You're doing good on the weight.

upload_2016-5-11_12-53-53.png

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol, I'm not sure what the findings of those studies were, but whether you weigh yourself once a day or once a week it's not going to make you any lighter/heavier.

I'm like you and weigh once a week. No point in weighing myself everyday as it doesn't offer me useful information.

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Weight fluctuates naturally. Personally I regularly weigh in on a Sunday morning at approximately the same time of day, and then just weigh randomly during the week, this gives me the overall trend but the random times during the week is good for keeping myself I track with my diet.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to weigh myself once a month - now a very long way into my journey and struggling a bit I weigh myself everyday - it works for me as its keeping me n track - I fluctuate and expect that but my weigh in that counts is my Saturday morning one - so far all is good a hard fought 21lbs since February taking my weight loss to 164lbs to date (need to update my sig I think )

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Once a month for me too, first thing in the morning, personally would not go lower than every 2 weeks as weight does fluctuate quite a bit, plus or minus 2kg a day IIRC from some sources....so if you are aiming for a 1 kg a week loss you could weigh yourself one week on a light day and the following week on a heavy day and think you were not losing..

A little titbit I only found out recently is that we exhale a lot of water when we breath overnight , so are usually lighter in the morning :)

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I used to weigh myself every Saturday when I got up, but when my weight loss slowed/stalled I found it fluctuated by 2 or 3 llbs up and down every week, so I stopped bothering.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
I've been doing the Newcastle Diet for four weeks now and have lost around 20lbs.
Congratulations on your weight-loss and on 4 weeks of the Newcastle diet. I did the diet for eight weeks in Jan-Feb this year . I weighed and did FBG's every morning but only recorded my weight-loss once a week. I wasn't worried about daily variations of a pound or so but it kept me focused and motivated. In reality losing 20lbs over 4 weeks to date you would have had very few mornings where your weight increased but many where you had a loss. Also the FBG's were a big focus as well.

Whatever works for you is best. Good luck with the next four weeks and keep us informed on how you are progressing

Well Done

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I weigh myself every morning after a coffee, evacuation and a shower.
Very fixed routine, but it suits me.

I find that my weight doesn't fluctuate much from day to day unless I am being either very good or very bad.
I do find that it keeps me focussed and I can identify early any tendency weight gain.

Having said that, we spent about 4 months travelling round Australia and New Zealand, mostly without access to scales, and my weight when I got back wasn't far off that when I left. So the daily weigh is not essential.

Pollyg3

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I weigh myself when I work about 4 times a week my weight plateaued but lost a stone and a half since xmas n weigh 10 st I am mostly good lol

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Every morning. Just part of the routine. I do it now without thinking but it keeps me in line.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I started weighing myself regularly after I was diagnosed T2 last September. I didn't have scales before then. I weigh myself three times a day, when I get up (and do fbg test), around midday, and again late afternoon.
For the first six months I was losing around 1.5lbs a week and it was encouraging to see my weight coming down. Now I seem to have reached a stable weight of about 9st 12lbs, which can fluctuate up or down by up to 2lbs.
I still find it useful to make sure I don't go above 10st.

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who drive with fog lights on when its only a bit of mist
Every few days - more than that is disheartening as I don't seem to be able to loose the weight

Bloods tested again and hopefully results tomorrow ....

Reactions: 2 people