Fried breakfast

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Often the advice to newbies here is to try having a fried breakfast of eggs bacon mushrooms sausage instead of the cereal and toast they would normally have. What I wonder is how many people and including mums who are diabetic and who have to juggle getting children ready in the morning then the school runs and then getting to their own jobs actually have the time to cook breakfast not very many I would think. When in the past we all enjoyed a good old fried breakfast it was cooked mostly only on a Sunday when everyone was at home to enjoy it. So how many here actually cook a breakfast in the morning

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I batch cook mine and put them in the freezer as separate items (omelettes, high meat content sausages etc). Then breakfast is just a ding in the microwave.

Reactions: 7 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, I don't, routinely, have a cooked breakfast, but if I did, I would do the bacon, and/or sausage in the oven - put in and left to get cooking whilst I did other things, with just the eggs to address at the point of eating. Microwaved scrambled eggs are done in a trice.

At breakfast time, I'm not energised by meal preparation requiring supervision!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
So how many here actually cook a breakfast in the morning

Have a cooked breakfast most mornings (not a fry-up), even when my kids were little I found time to cook a breakfast before getting them off to school and heading for work, all I do is just get up that little bit earlier.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
low carb breakfasts come in many forms.

From what I have seen, more people recommend eggs, with maybe bacon, rather than a full fry up. Both eggs and bacon can be microwaved.

Personally, I always suggest a variety of options, including just coffeencream or cheese and ham. Both of which are less effort than even microwaved scrambled eggs or a bowl of cereal.

I think very often people believe that cereal is a quick easy option, but it is no quicker or easier than grabbing a slice of pre-made crustless quiche, or popping two precooked sausages into the microwave. berries and yog. last night's lefovers... the easy, quick options really are endless.

It is more of an attitude shift than a time sink.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
We normally have a fry up on a Saturday as a brunch.

nannoo_bird

Often the advice to newbies here is to try having a fried breakfast of eggs bacon mushrooms sausage instead of the cereal and toast they would normally have. What I wonder is how many people and including mums who are diabetic and who have to juggle getting children ready in the morning then the school runs and then getting to their own jobs actually have the time to cook breakfast not very many I would think. When in the past we all enjoyed a good old fried breakfast it was cooked mostly only on a Sunday when everyone was at home to enjoy it. So how many here actually cook a breakfast in the morning

Scrambled eggs take no time, nor does an omelette with a little cheese or ham - just a couple of minutes. Similarly a grilled mushroom with a spoon of beans or with cream cheese and a sliced of smoked salmon. They really take little more time than to open a cereal packet!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't face a full fry up in the mornings, and I certainly couldn't cook one. I just have a soft boiled egg. I save my fry ups for lunch times when I don't fancy a salad.

Digger-i-doo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I don't have time for fry-ups on weekday mornings. I often make a variation of this: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2012/10/grain-free-hot-cereal.html

If you want eggs but don't have time on weekdays to fry them and then clean up, there are plenty of recipes online for omelet muffins. They take very little time to make and can be prepared ahead for grab and go meals. Here's an example: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/?s=egg+muffin

And the other day I was pressed for time so just had some ricotta cheese sprinkled with a few berries, and a sugar-free, low-carb cookie that I'd baked the day before. And speaking of baking, if you're into that and are game to explore the world of low-carb baking, you could make muffins and have those in the freezer for busy days. I think I'm due for another batch of lemon cranberry muffins ...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooh, @Digger-i-doo
that reminds me of when I baked a stracciatella low carb cake, and had to eat it for breakfast several days in a row.
Waste not, want not.
No frying involved there. :D
Happy days...

Reactions: 3 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I generally have guacamole and celery. Nothing to smashing an avocado. If I don't have that I have turkey on a lettuce wrap.
I wish I could eat eggs everyday because I would make a bowl of egg salad. We always have hard boiled eggs in the fridge. Easy to grab and go

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
[QUOTE=" So how many here actually cook a breakfast in the morning[/QUOTE]

No chance, maybe at the weekends. I either have porridge or take in a pot of yoghurt and berries to eat at work.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've always just taken the suggestion of a full fry up as just one example of a suitable low carb alternative to high carb cereal or porridge for breakfast, not as a literal requirement to eat it. :wideyed: I would hope that people see it as such, and I've seen a wide variety of other alternative breakfast options suggested too.

And my advice has always been that breakfast doesn't have to be a "traditional" meal, which means you can eat whatever low carb food you fancy or suits your needs.

Robbity

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My usual brekky is a boiled egg. It takes no extra time. I boil a full kettle of water, use some for my coffee and the rest goes in a pan. Drop in an egg and then I have 5 minutes to do anything that needs doing (get dressed, do my hair etc) while it cooks. Take it out and eat it. Would take me just as long to get cereal and milk etc and longer again if I added toast as i used to. :)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I sometimes have a cooked breakfast of Linda Mac sausage, mushrooms and tomatoes. I just pop them in the Actifry and leave them to it while I put my face on. Easy peasy.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Breakfast... why?
Because I take meds that require me to have eaten and also are best taken in the morning. Also when ever you break your fast it's breakfast no matter what you call it.