Type 2 Swollen feet and ankles

Debbie gott

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to be a pain but my feet and ankles are very swollen, my feet are solid and feel like they may burst open at any minute. Should i be worried?
Thank you in advance

Sent from my 5017X using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Really need more info to comment to any effect. This all depends on all kinds of factors. Have you had this before? How long have you been diabetic and what are your levels like? What meds are you on...any that have this side effect? What is your weight like? Do you exercise? There are also all kinds of possible causes beyond diabetes. It could be very minor or not. best advice really is see your GP...That said, I really wouldn't panic...but best just call in the morning.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hoping you're resting now.

Debbie, my foot swelling began about the same time I crossed over from pre-diabetes to diabetes eleven years ago. It's important that you call your doctor so they can rule out any serious conditions. I found this information helpful because it's similar to the care I received when I initially saw a doctor about my foot swelling...

What to expect during your appointment
During your appointment, your doctor will perform a physical examination and ask you about your symptoms. Be prepared to explain:

• where you are noticing the swelling
  • the times of day when the swelling tends to be worse
  • any other symptoms you may be experiencing
  • any factors that appear to make the swelling better or worse
To help diagnose the cause of the swelling, your doctor may order one or more of the following tests:

• blood tests including blood count, kidney and liver function studies, and electrolytes to evaluate the various organs
  • X-rays to view the bones and other tissues
  • ultrasound to examine the organs, blood vessels, and tissues
  • electrocardiogram to assess heart function
Read the entire article here... http://www.healthline.com/symptom/swollen-ankle

I did have blood tests, also an ultrasound to insure I had good blood flow to my feet; however, I didn't have an x-ray or electrocardiogram.

Speaking from experience, once more serious causes of your feet swelling are ruled out - (only a healthcare professional can do this by physically examining you and ordering appropriate lab tests) - here's a few things I did that I found helpful...

1) Continue working on getting your blood glucose levels down by changing your diet and testing your blood glucose levels in pairs: 1) before bed and immediately upon awaking; and 2) immediately before meals and 2 hours after meals; and 3) immediately before and 2 hours after snacks.

If you want to try the low carbohydrate high fat diet...

2) Greatly limit or eliminate from your diet sugar, flour from grains, omega-6 seed oils - (corn, soybean, saffola, sunflower, canola, cottonseed, and peanut oils) - fruit - (though a quarter cup of blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries are okay, lemon and lime juice too) - starchy, below ground, root vegetables, and legumes.

2b) Eat meat, poultry, eggs, fish, or seafood with each meal; include healthy fats such as butter, cream, plain, full fat greek yogurt, extra virgin olive oil, virgin coconut oil, and fat from healthy animals fed their traditional diet; other healthy sources of fat such as raw nuts, green olives, and avocados; and above ground leafy greens and vegetables. Onions and garlic are fine, as are herbs and spices. Cheese also is good in limited amounts.

Go here to read my posts on what I've eaten for the last 15 months on the low carbohydrate high fat diet... http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-information.101919/ beginning with post #5, I believe. I think you'll find four or five posts there, written by me, with lots of helpful information about the low carbohydrate high fat diet.

Once you eliminate processed foods, you'll need to 1) drink lots of water and 2) add salt daily, a minimum of a 1/4 teaspoon a day, perhaps more. 3) Magnesium citrate helps if you develop muscle cramps and/or constipation.

3) Walk a little bit more each day even if it's only a block and back and you have to rest part way.

4) Consider adding a good quality B-complex supplement - (taking an additional vitamin B5 reduced my foot swelling last summer).

5) When you feel your feet begining to swell, or feel that the swelling is worsening, elevate your feet if you can.

If you're overweight like I was, you may find that the swelling reduces over time as you get your blood glucose levels down and continue with your daily walks. Rising summer temperatures worsened my feet swelling.

When I started the low carbohydrate high fat diet, it took me a month to get my blood glucose levels down to less scary levels. Be patient. Start a journal so you can track what your eating and how different foods affect your blood glucose levels.

A really good book to read is Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution, 4th Edition (2011) by Richard K. Bernstein, M.D. You might be able to check it out from a local library.

Please let me know if I can offer you additional support. Just type @Winnie53 and I'll respond. Keep in mind I live in the US on the west coast.

Hope this was helpful. I've been where you are now, and it's sometimes scary, often frustrating in the beginning, but it gets a little bit better with each passing month.

In the beginning, it's important that you snack between meals if you're hungry, and to eat fat with every meal to curb the hunger and sugar cravings. It takes about two weeks for the sugar cravings to calm down. Snacks can be an ounce of raw nuts or cheese, green olives, or avocado. A favorite snack for me initially was a slice of ham wrapped around cream cheese and slices of dill pickle. If you start craving corn chips or potato chips, it's likely salt that your actually craving.

Please give your doctor a call in the morning, if only to put your mind at ease. Someone really should have a look at those feet and do some lab work. I read all your posts and I see that you were encouraged to do this two weeks ago. You won't know if something more serious is wrong until you're seen by a doctor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Well, @Winnie53, I believe that is what's called a very thorough response. I thought that was outstanding.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @pleinster I read all of Debbie's posts and could really relate to what she's experiencing. Had it not been for you all here those first couple of months, I don't know how I would have gotten though it. The support I got here exceeded my expectations, again and again.

And yes, I am "thorough"... [giggle]...

Hang in there Debbie. :)

Reactions: 4 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Debbie gott - hope you're okay.

I had an undiagnosed thyroid condition, of which - only with hindsight - it transpired that foot and ankle oedema (in fact mine was the whole lower legs) was a symptom.

As others have said, please, please consult your doctor - it could be due to a number of things and he/she should be able to find what it is with some tests.

Hope it goes well and you get sorted. Hug.

:)

JenBry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sorry to be a pain but my feet and ankles are very swollen, my feet are solid and feel like they may burst open at any minute. Should i be worried?
Thank you in advance

Sent from my 5017X using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Hi Debbie
Winnie has provided you with excellent advice, and as others have advised, please do go and see a Doc.
In the case of my own lower leg / ankle swelling, I have noticed that the swelling is worse when the weather is humid, particularly if I have been sitting at my desk for longer than an hour.
What I have also noticed is that when I eat any wheat or grains, eg bread (even 'healthy whole grain') my lower legs, and some of my other joints, swell up. Wheat is a known inflammatory, and is the cause of many 'aches and pains'. I can recommend Dr William Davis' book, Wheatbelly (http://www.wheatbellyblog.com) for more info. Many people who go grain free (also known as gluten free) have many of their symptoms reduced / disappeared. I have also worked as a live-in carer, and many of the older folks who sit for most of the day, and have copious cups of tea with a biccy or two each time have very swollen feet. In those where I was successful in reducing their biccy intake, their swelling clearly reduced, and they were able to be more mobile as a result!
Many Drs do not see or are aware of the correlation between diet and symptoms, so, best to inform yourself as best you can from a variety of sources (always verify their validity - don't always believe everything you read on the internet)
But, do go and see the Doc first if you've not yet done so.
And follow Winnie's advice too.. she's given you excellent advice! :)

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi Debbie, be prepared for your Dr to give you less information than Winnie has done. Thank you Winnie for your advice and thorough post.
I have seen 3 GPs at different surgeries over the last 15 years about my swollen feet and ankles and was told 1) to put your feet up as often as possible (totally impractical in a primary classroom) 2) that I was too young for water retention medication and 3) not to worry about it. When I had the general blood tests that picked up borderline diabetes nothing was reported back to me about any thyroid problem, far less anything to monitor blood flow through the heart. I was borderline overweight when diagnosed, a matter of a couple of pounds, which I have remedied losing over 20 pounds since the beginning of the year and now maintaining a constant weight. I have cut out wheat, rye and oats to control bg levels. Sometimes I have a hot yeast extract drink instead of coffee or tea, and eat salted popcorn as a snack recently noticing that I enjoy the taste of salt. My oedema is heat related so a cool summer is great and I have developed my own regular exercise programme to tackle insulin resistance walking 10 - 15 miles a week in addition to my daily routine at home and work.
Listen to your body, find what works for you and try to spot any patterns from what you eat, stress levels, weather etc. Use a good foot care cream to keep the skin of your feet and ankles supple.Take care and good luck.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For anyone who feels overwhelmed, perhaps hopeless or helpless about the status of their health, there's a documentary I watched a few weeks ago that I'm going to show to my diabetes group next week. It tells the story of Joe Cross, which I greatly enjoyed and found inspiring, but the story that brought me to tears and filled my heart with pride was Phil's story, an obese truck driver who suffered with the same autoimmune condition as Joe and his amazing transformation. Definitely worth a watch... http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/

Last night, I watched the second documentary, filmed four years later in 2014. In it, we learn that restoring our health, and losing the weight is the easy part, it's maintaining our new found health that's the real challenge. Both Joe and Phil, each in their own way, learn that to do this they need ongoing support from people who share or at minimum support their new lifestyle.

This validated my experience. For the last two years, I've met weekly with two women over coffee and tea who, like me, want to improve their quality of life. We have a specific format that we follow that includes three rounds of sharing: best and worst experiences for the week; then progress toward our individual goals during the previous week, if any [giggle]; then our goals for the coming week.

They and this forum make up my "community" - (as much as my friends love me, they don't want to talk about my diabetes week after week so I get that support here on this forum).

I can't begin to tell you how helpful it's been to count on that time each week, to be "listened to" and "supported", as opposed to being told what we each should do. "Could of, would of, should of"...is not helpful. We stay in the present and keep moving forward.

Through this process, I've learned that we each need to find our own way. And we are. Our goals are varied and different now, though we're still working on de-cluttering our homes. While our time together began with a single focus of de-cluttering our homes - (initially we read books together on how to do this, one chapter a week) - it quickly grew into so much more.

I'm not encouraging anyone to use "juicing" for two months to jump start their health, which is the focus of the videos, though some people as evidenced in the second documentary do find it life changing. What I got from the films was inspiration and renewed commitment to stay the course with my new, healthy lifestyle, and the importance of having at least one person to do it with, either in person or online. :)

Shifting to a new topic now, but it may relate, don't know...

I had no idea that others suffer from swollen feet and ankles too. I read today's comments, and all I could do is say "wow" again and again. I've been popping in and out of a condition called subclinical hyperthyroid for at least 13 years. Perhaps that's a factor. Also, I gave up gluten completely in 2011, then eliminated all grains in 2015, though I do occasionally have a small amount of non-gluten grains. One of the problems with some grain crops in the US is that wheat and oats, soybeans too, are being sprayed with the herbicide Roundup which contains glyphosates, which might explain the explosion of non-celiac gluten sensitivity, a condition I was formally diagnosed with in 2011 - (I should add here that I don't have celiac, this was confirmed with genetic testing last year). This girl now eats organic, non-GMO foods. I think we now have enough research to support this dietary change. If not, I'm not going to wait for it. :)