Retinopathy reversal

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Last years annual eye check was positive for retinopathy in my left eye.
This years results came in the post today and I no longer have any!
For the first time in about five years I can move my toes ... wiggle them about pick up a pencil.
My annual diabetes blood tests a few weeks ago showed I'm as good as none diabetic.
I take no medication now and haven't for months.
Not often I get good news about my health but it looks like I'm winning .... I'm beating this thing!
I attacked this disease with low carb high fat full on for about six months then slowly introduced carbs back into my diet but kept the full fat thing going.
I have porridge every morning no matter what the weather and put a heaped teaspoon full of coconut oil in .... never miss it.
I have fish oil everyday and I have one alo vera gel tablet everyday and I'm winning.
I'm now and have been for quite some time eating what everyone else in my life eats.
I seem to have repaired my system.

Reactions: 15 people

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fantastic news,and very inspiring.So good to hear your retinopathy has improved.If I am honest that is my biggest fear in terms of complications down the line.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For the first time in about five years I can move my toes ... wiggle them about pick up a pencil.
My annual diabetes blood tests a few weeks ago showed I'm as good as none diabetic.
Not often I get good news about my health but it looks like I'm winning .... I'm beating this thing!
I attacked this disease with low carb high fat full on for about six months then slowly introduced carbs back into my diet but kept the full fat thing going.
I have porridge every morning no matter what the weather and put a heaped teaspoon full of coconut oil in .... never miss it.
I have fish oil everyday and I have one alo vera gel tablet everyday and I'm winning.
I'm now and have been for quite some time eating what everyone else in my life eats.

@JTL Really good to read. Stick it to it and keep on. :)

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant results @JTL, it must be such a liberating feeling to know that you've cracked it, after all the hard work. Enjoy your success, and many more to come.

Reactions: 3 people

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@JLT That's the best news. Standing up, clapping, happy for you!

I see you joined the forum in 2012. If you're up to it, I'd love to learn the details of what you've done since your diagnosis. What you think worked, what didn't. I understand that what takes decades to create may take years to reverse...and I'm okay with it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done. Love hearing such fantastic success stories.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
@JTL
Congratulations and Thanks. What a great way to start the day reading your post. It has put a smile on my face.
Cheers

PurpleArmadillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Congratulations JTL :)

I have my first ever eye check on Monday morning and I've been really worrying about it, so it's great to hear that even if it's bad news it can be reversed.

Yvonne xx

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.

What an absolutely inspiring story:) Wonderful!!

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, BPM 85, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

16/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 6O, 11st 5lbs, waist 30", PWV 7.0. Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Regime: 25g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting, occasionally longer fasts.

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
miserable weather, rude and bad mannered people
After 7 years of diabetes, last year was the first time they found some 'background retinopathy'. I'm due for my next annual appointment in July. I too am hoping I can reverse this. This week I am going to start the 5:2 diet recommended by Dr Michael Moseley from his book The 8 week blood sugar diet. I want to reverse my diabetes before it gets worse.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Sugar has almost gone from my diet but not completely.
I also have and have through all of this had small amounts of honey which spike me a little but only for a very short time which is okay and normal and the way it should be.

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who drive with fog lights on when its only a bit of mist
Wow .... wonderful news, so enjoy reading success stories as it gives us all a bit of hope x

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Can I ask, has the turn around in your retinopathy come about as a result of lifestyle changes alone or were you prescribed treatment of any kind at any stage?

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
No medication or treatment. HCLF lots of oils some fats mostly vegetable and dairy.
I take no cholesterol medication no diabetes medication either now.
I still take high blood pressure medication but am down to the lowest dose.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
No medication or treatment. HCLF lots of oils some fats mostly vegetable and dairy.
I take no cholesterol medication no diabetes medication either now.
I still take high blood pressure medication but am down to the lowest dose.

Outstanding:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I still haven't been called for my retinal screening or foot screening, nearly 3 months post diagnosis.

Is this unusual?

Dark Horse

I still haven't been called for my retinal screening or foot screening, nearly 3 months post diagnosis.

Is this unusual?

You should be offered an appointment for diabetic eye screening within 3 months of diagnosis. This is particularly important for Type 2s as they may have had diabetes for some years before diagnosis. You need to chase this up with your GP as soon as possible.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You should be offered an appointment for diabetic eye screening within 3 months of diagnosis. This is particularly important for Type 2s as they may have had diabetes for some years before diagnosis. You need to chase this up with your GP as soon as possible.

Thanks, I'll do just that immediately!

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Is this unusual?

I had to wait nearly 3 months for my first eye screening, which is done annually by a mobile unit at our surgery in January or February, but I was getting 6 monthly eye check at the hospital anyway for other issues, so I wasn't too bothered! First foot check appointment took a bit longer to be arranged and is done by our practice diabetes nurse. I think it's sometimes a matter of juggling times to fit new patients in...

Robbity