Are you taking a new Type 2 Drug?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Shopping.Bad payers.
I was having problems walking taking Metformine I was on 2x500 a day so when they said they were going to fevise my tablets I thought great. The appointment came 4 weeks down the line. Whe during the consultation they said they were going to change the tablets to slow release I blow my top my blood pressure went to 216. I said I thought I was having a change in tablets yes they said you are now on slow release. I said what is the good of that it is still metformin. And they put the dossage up to 4 a day. Well after 2 weeks I could not walk at all. Got an urgent appointment with doctor he put me bach on standard Metformin but 2 a day.
Tried this for three weeks still could not walk properly. Then I caught pneumonia lost a lot of weight thoght I ws going to die. Doctor came to see me asked how am I getting on with tablets. I said I have reduced them down to one,. He said why am I not suprised, By this time I was walking properly again. My sugar levels have not changed a lot.

googlegoss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would see another doctor if I was you. I tried the metformin normal and also the slow release. None of them agreed with me so I just stopped taking them. Going to docs next week and I know she will be fine it. Started low carb diet again so hopefully that will bring my bg's down. The doc will give me something else to try though as she didn't think the slow release would suit me either.

Hi I take Lixisenitide injections daily 10mg . Was on 20 mg however suffered nausea so hence the reduction. I have lost weight and reduced my HbA1c whilst being on the drug.

Reactions: 2 people

ha668y

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've recently started Forxiga, which is hopefully going to help with weight loss- which is one of its side effects. I'm on 2 insulin types as well, and take that many pills for other stuff, I rattle! I've had a stent fitted in May
Hi Bagpuss, I was on Forxiga for a short period not that long ago it was great for losing weight but one of the side effects I encountered was recurring thrush infections and had to stop taking it, the DN tried me on Invokana which is in tthe same gruop and encountered the same side effects, stopped taking that as well.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I've been taking forxiga and it's been transformational, I've lost weight and keep my blood sugars stable now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dickensfan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find the whole thing quite frightening to be honest, and I also am feeling quite isolated, and worried that I don't do the right things, despite all that I've read. I would love to know if others felt this way when first diagnosed with type 2. I've only been diagnosed since the beginning of March. Nurse put me on Metformin explaining that some people have diarrhea, whilst on it, but told me not to worry as there would be other meds she could put me on. Well, I only managed the most horrendous 4 days on that drug, so she told me to come off it, she prescribed Gliclazide, but unfortunately I was not prepared to stay on this, as I put 4lbs on in the first five days - even a record for me, so she then put me on Forxiga 10mg once daily, she told me she had patients who actually lost weight with this drug, so far I see no difference in my weight and it really baffles and annoys me. She said she can add another druge which is an injection you only take once a week - I don't know the name, and you also lose weight with that one. I'd love to hear from anyone else who has indeed lost weight with this or the addition of another drug.

campbellr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being diabetic being non mobile and in wheelchair !!
Yes on canagliflozin 100mg, & Tresiba 48u.
Along with nova rapid 8,10,12. Atovastatin, Gabäpentin 400mg 2 three times a day, tramadol 100mg normally twice a day, duloxetine 60mg 2 at night, Lansoprazole 30 mg daily, amiodpine 5mg, Adcal-D3

Charcolt foot 2 years in plaster non weight baring
Told last week PKD ? to come of canagliflozin 100mg can cause issues
Also recent tests show have OSA ill need machine at night
Retinal Neuropathy 16 injections now have low vision
Very painful peripheral neuropathy hence Gabäpentin, tramadol, & duloxetine
trigger finger
Last Hbcla 53 review due end May

But canagliflozin 100mg, & Tresiba 48u has helped with blood sugars

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi all, I understand that glucophage is a slow release version of metformin. Helps to tackle the tummy grumbles that metformin can give :)
I tried that one too but no tummy wasn't playing ball either. Tummy craps and loose bowels.

Pedaldog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
to carry on from Galja. I was on Statins for over a year and the pain in my joints and muscles was so bad it was ruining my life!
I stopped them and, within a month, things were a Mile better.
I'm on Glucophage with main meal and Forxiga on a morning. Not losing weight but, I think. that's probably due to my "Self Sabotage" Dietary ways.
I'm starting,as of Now, to sort myself out and deal with the T2 before I go blind, or my legs get amputated, that's how Badly I'm taking care of my Diabetes. :banghead:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Bagpuss, I was on Forxiga for a short period not that long ago it was great for losing weight but one of the side effects I encountered was recurring thrush infections and had to stop taking it, the DN tried me on Invokana which is in tthe same gruop and encountered the same side effects, stopped taking that as well.
Ditto. Same problem, and as a guy this presented problems getting the cream into the right place! Finally given a course of pills, and you know how us cats love taking pills. I have invested in a pak of the same urine test strips they use so I can check for myself.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes on canagliflozin 100mg, & Tresiba 48u.
Along with nova rapid 8,10,12. Atovastatin, Gabäpentin 400mg 2 three times a day, tramadol 100mg normally twice a day, duloxetine 60mg 2 at night, Lansoprazole 30 mg daily, amiodpine 5mg, Adcal-D3

Charcolt foot 2 years in plaster non weight baring
Told last week PKD ? to come of canagliflozin 100mg can cause issues
Also recent tests show have OSA ill need machine at night
Retinal Neuropathy 16 injections now have low vision
Very painful peripheral neuropathy hence Gabäpentin, tramadol, & duloxetine
trigger finger
Last Hbcla 53 review due end May

But canagliflozin 100mg, & Tresiba 48u has helped with blood sugars

Any thrush from the canagliflozin yet?

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Have been on forxiga for 3 months now 10mg. No thrush, no UTI, maintaining low carb means less sugar in the urine to feed the beast. I also take 1000mg metformin. Blood glucose as I type this 5.0 Three months ago was in the 20s. Weight loss is extremely slow 3 to 4 pounds per month but that is just how my body seems to work.

DumfriesDik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
I have just started (a month now) of Jardiance an empagliflozin based drug. I have reacted to it very positively.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I have just started (a month now) of Jardiance an empagliflozin based drug. I have reacted to it very positively.
It took a few months for my side affects to bloom. Just look out for any sign of thrush or ketoacidosis with good bgs on meter. (Canagliflozin disguised my high bgs in some parts of my body. Finger pricking showed excellent bgs as sugar was in urinary secretion only.)

I am on dapagliflozin metformin plus inject insulin Four times a day! I have a good diet and exercise daily! I still struggle keeping my blood sugars down! I am type 2. My mothers family have this condition! I watch my carbs and no longer eat bread or pasta! Any suggestions please ........

DumfriesDik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
That is a lot of stuff to be taking. I went through a lot of medication before I found one that worked for me. Insulin didn't do much for me. If I were you I would review the situation with your diabetic nurse or doctor.

If you really do have a good diet and take regular exercise, then something needs to be done. The fewer carbs you put into yourself the fewer you need to get out. Reduce the carb intake and you will have a better chance of controlling them. Carbs are everywhere and not just in the two thing you mention.

Have you have a look at the Low Carb High Fat Diet (LCHF) section on the forum?

And do you know about Hypos? Again seek professional help and advice before doing anything drastic.

Reactions: Oldvatr

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
I am on dapagliflozin metformin plus inject insulin Four times a day! I have a good diet and exercise daily! I still struggle keeping my blood sugars down! I am type 2. My mothers family have this condition! I watch my carbs and no longer eat bread or pasta! Any suggestions please ........
Eggs are good and do not raise blood sugar at all in most people. Green leafy vegetables also very good. There are some good cookbooks on this site as well.

Ivy8208

I was on Lantus 30units at nights and Humalog upto 18 units in the daytime depending on my BG readings. But after my first two months my Lantus started making me get morning hives, only on my lower body. As for my Humalog, no matter what I ate it sends my blood glucose dropping instead of giving me a little hyper. I spoke to my Doc and he stopped the insulin and gave me metformin 1000mg at nights and Glicolzide 120mg at once in the daytime. My BG is 7.2 with metformin on fasting. With Lantus is use to be 5.8. Now,my Glicolzide is giving me a steady lows in my daytime reading that have me testing every few minutes. Am very scared to go hypo. The other side effects are my body feels very weak all the time. My feet feels so weak. I am afraid to stand with baby. Is anyone going thru the same as me?