Glucose meters

SarahCarrick

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there... Can anyone tell me if NHS are supposed to give meters free to T1 diabetics? My 13 yo usually uses his Libre which we self fund and has an Accu check mobile which he used as back up. He got this from the DSN on diagnosis at the hospital. He broken the accu chek and our GP surgery said meters can't be prescribed. I paid for one in local chemist in the end where the pharmacist told me that all T1 diabetics must buy their own meters. She said the free one at hospital would have been a manufacturer sample and nobody is entitled to a free meter. Is that true?!?
Thanks
Sx

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi there... Can anyone tell me if NHS are supposed to give meters free to T1 diabetics? My 13 yo usually uses his Libre which we self fund and has an Accu check mobile which he used as back up. He got this from the DSN on diagnosis at the hospital. He broken the accu chek and our GP surgery said meters can't be prescribed. I paid for one in local chemist in the end where the pharmacist told me that all T1 diabetics must buy their own meters. She said the free one at hospital would have been a manufacturer sample and nobody is entitled to a free meter. Is that true?!?
Thanks
Sx

Hi Sarah - yes they do, contact your DSN or GP to arrange collection of one - your pharmacist was incorrect in giving you this information. You will need to contact your team to collect one as they will need to add the test strips onto your son's prescription.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks
Sx
Normally if you call a meter manufacturer they will supply you one for free as they make their money from the test strips. I'm not sure what policy is on actually getting hold of a meter.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks
Sx

Call AccuChek. I broke my meter and they sent me a new one which arrived the next day :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Surgeries will (must) provide a meter and strips on prescription if you are T1. If you use your own meter they should add strips for your meter on prescription

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I called Accuchek when my very old meter broke they were horrified I was still using such a vintage meter. It was a Glucotrend 2 and this was only about 5 years ago!

They asked me some questions about how often I tested and if I tested on the go a lot and they sent me two free Accuchek mobile meters to replace the old Glucotrend.

They also send me replacement batteries every year and I could pick from a range of bags and cases.

In summary, ring Accu Check and at the very least they will replace your broken meter!

B583

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
MARMITE!!
Having been diabetic for over 20 years, I've never paid for a meter, have recently ordered another, but informed there has to be at least 18months between having meters from manufacturers (offers/ads seen on pages). Test strips can be gotten on prescription from GP surgery too. Don't believe your pharmacist, they just want you to part with your money!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I paid for one in local chemist in the end where the pharmacist told me that all T1 diabetics must buy their own meters.

Had to pay for my very first bg meter in the 1980's and haven't paid for one since, the diabetes clinics have surplus bg meters which are given to them free by the meter reps, just ask his DSN for another one or ring the Accu-Chek Customer Careline and they'll send you out a replacement free of charge.