Calling all pumpers!

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Hi Roo, I'm getting on really well with it, no major issues (pulled the tubing out one night but don't think I had twsited it in tightly enough so user error!) and have had some highs and lows but again, nothing major. Still a long way to go, I'm not happy with the ratio/delivery rate for certain foods yet (I am finding potatos and chocolate are the hardest things to master!) and the obvious answer is to not eat them (which I don't very often!) but then why should I restrict myself?! My pump allows me to deliver bolus at varying rates (all at once, over a set time frame or some straight away and the rest an hour later, for example) so I need to suss out what is the best delivery for the best BG results. it's a lot of information to take in!! How are you getting on?

cricketwidow

Hi I love my pump and use the clip to attach it to the middle section on my wired bra, basically it sits in my cleaveage, even when im in the gym or out running, although depending on the top im wearing it can be visable but i dont get embaressed about it and majority of people are used to seeing it now. At night i start with it under the pillow but when i wake up it can be anywhere ! I just follow the tubing ! Although its normaly hidden under my husband ??? Does any1 know if you can wear it for swimming at present i suspend it for a hour and reattach once ive finished but im due to do a open water swim event in July and would prefer not to detach it ? :? thanks... happy pumping ever1 :D :lol:

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
HI Cricketwidow, i guess it depends on which pump you have? the Accu Chek combo is technically waterproof but I wouldn't take it in water (on the advice of the pump rep)as it's more splash proof. I've heard that the Animas pump is completely waterproof but don't quote me!

jopar

Debs

Just noticed your discription of the different bolus's avaiable on the pump, and you may be miss-understanding how the mulit-wave delivers the insulin..

The mulit-wave is a combination of the standard bolus and the square (timed) bolus, when you choose the amounts for the two wave's there isn't a time delay between the two deliveries.. The first amount chosen, will be delivered as a standard bolus, the remaining amount, will then be delivered as a sqaure waved bolus, over the period that you have chosen, it starts the square wave delivery as soon as it's finished delivering the the first part... No time delay apart..

If you check your screen and follow what happening, then you will see that the first part is deliverd, and then you are left with the remaining amount showing, with the time you've chosen for it to be delivered, as this goes by, the amount left slowly drops over this period...

Hope this explination explains, and it helps you with sorting out your bolus, if you working on the theory that the multi-wave is delivering a straight 3u to start, then waiting a chosen 45 minutes, the delivers a straight 3u then this could be why you'll getting your calculation out with some of your foods..

purple1505

Hi,
I have been using the Paradigm MiniMed pump for 7 months and found it a little daunting as to how to wear it. Over time I found that the plasic clip that came with it was for me since i wear mostly trousers, jeans and leggings. There was an occassion however that I was going out and decided to wear a figure hugging dress! Where to put the pump? I attached it to the strap of my dress and covered it with a shrug, but allas there was a bulge and it interfered with my arm movement. Next was attaching to my underwear, still a bulge! I tried a little shoulder bag, but then there was the tube to hide! Frustrated, I decided that since my cleavage wasn't on show, that is where my pump would nestle for the evening. I will however state that I had to pop to the loo to discreetly give my bolus and had to turn off the alarms, or I'd either have abeeping or a vibrating cleavage! :lol:
At night time I attach to my pj bottoms or when it's too hot, it stays beside me on the opposite side of my hubby. So far the only problem I had with that is one night when I needed a trip to the loo I forgot to pick it up and realised when I tried walking with it dangling down! As for intimate moments, well that's what suspend is for! suspend the insulin delivery, unattach and enjoy the moment. be warned though to reattach an reactivate your pump afterwards, just as you would after swimming or bathing! :wink:
Some pumps have attractive skins that are interchangable, ie palm trees for beach wear and such.
I'm loving the freedom my lil purple pump has given me! Best of luck to everyone who has a pump!
Purple1505

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
HI Jopar, thanks for the tip, I did know that, I don't think my post was very clear which is perhaps why you thought I didn't! I don't have to follow my pump screen as I can see all the goings on via the remote, which is my new favourite toy :lol:

CR741

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
During the day i try and wear trousers with tight pockets, that way I can put the pump in the pocket without it falling out, or looking big as there is no need for a case. I sometimes wear it clipped on a belt if i'm wearing one anyway and that hardly notices aswell.
At night time, i get pyjamas with pockets so I can wear it in the evenings, but at night I got given a toy in the shape of a pump with a smiley face. I put it inside and then you don't notice it if you roll on it :D I have only woken up with it round my neck once at the beginning, but I think that was when I tried out the really long wire. I use the medium lengh wire that I find is just the rght size.
cr741

carograph

I tend to make my own pouches to fit specific clothes, and sometimes even alter clothes and sew in inside pockets to hide the pump in.

With trousers/jeans, I just tuck the pouch into the waist somewhere. Nothing shows on the outside.

For the summer or when wearing a dress, my pump lives in my bra, under the left armpit. If you make a light linen or 100% cotton pouch, it will not rub your skin the wrong way either.

Hope this helps
C

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I use sets on my legs with 100mm tubing to the pump on my arm. The pump is held by cheap tubgrip from the chemist. I bought 1 metre lengths and cut them to size for the top of my arm (no sewing). I wear one directly next to my skin, then the pump with tubing going towards elbow and then the tubing comes back up my arm all the way to my leg. The pump is simply held in with another piece of tubigrip over it.

I wrote to Accu-chek as asked them to give me an email address to where I could send photos of how I wear the pump-as accu chek do nothing for arms at all.

Needless to say, Accu chek have not contacted me. So I continue to use my cheap tubigrips on my arm.

My pump never has to come off between cartridge changovers, and it allows me to wear my sets all the way down the front and sides of my legs, and gives me a lot flexibility for places to use for my sets, and also when it is under my clothes I never have to worry about it or the tubing with my trousers going up and down, even if the set is almost down to my knees. I change the pump from left arm to right arm every 4 set changes, when I also swop legs that I am using witht the sets.

The 2 layers of tubi grip also hold the tubing right in place, and it prevents any tubing pulling tight against the lueur.

Ok, it'll look odd in the summer with my vest t-shirts, but living in Wales, we are not exactly basking in 40 degrees.....