Can I eat ready meals

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are they basic chichen meat with some side to make them more interesting?
Is the same to take some poultry slices from the butcher and add the pepperoni and spices?
(Insert here rant on ready-made pasta...)
yup. The one we tried was really nice, but it is actually easier and quicker to make my own. And by buying the ingredients seperately (well, having the supermarket deliver them to my door), I get better portions and higher quality ingredients. The ready meals all use the cheapest cruddiest ingredients.

Oh - remembered something else. When Mr B and I got together, we were living 100s of miles apart. He is seriously challenged in the kitchen department (although his learning curve has now developed nicely). I showed him how to make some roast chicken dinners, ready to cook, just like a real ready meal. lol.

We got some tubs ready for freezing, and put 1 chicken breast, 1 good quality sausage, and lay a rasher of bacon over the top, into each, and popped in the freezer. He would get one out in the morning to defrost while he was at work, then put in the oven and serve with any veg he liked. Just make sure that the chicken breast is covered with the bacon or it will dry out in the oven.

Haha. I think we did about 20 trays like that, and knowing him he probably ate Chicken Dinner 20 days in a row. :D

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Mikegolfbravo

Yes, there aresome advantages to LCHF diet which include having double cream in your coffee or with a small amount of fruit. The fat/cream slows down the absorption of the sugars so not spiking. I love this aspect but, in fact, I enjoy the rest of my LCHF food too. I eat salad every day and I used to hate salad but I put in everything I can think of, such as mushrooms, spring onions, avacardo, diced raw carrot (not too much) as well as the 'usual' salad bits. I also chop some mint leaves and put on my salad. I usually now do three days-worth of salad (tear the lettuce so it doesn't bruise) so it's already prepared two out of three days. I also enjoy loads of steamed vegs, ie Brocolli, Cauliflower, Green Beans, whole Mushrooms, sliced cabbage, with butter and grated cheese and salt, plus a protien such as chicken, bolognaise sauce, sausages, etc :) Breakfast is usually a slice of ham (from the deli in Sains) with a couple of cheese slices (like Dairylea), rolled up. It's tasty and very low carb - as my glucose levels rise in the mornings (typical of diabetics with insulin resistance) plus a coffee with double cream :)

Good luck

Reactions: Prem51

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
yup. The one we tried was really nice, but it is actually easier and quicker to make my own. And by buying the ingredients seperately (well, having the supermarket deliver them to my door), I get better portions and higher quality ingredients. The ready meals all use the cheapest cruddiest ingredients.
I also suppose they are filled with preservatives too.
For lunch at the office I take a pre cut and pre washed salad dish, that is a convenience but isn't cheap and I normally throw away the pathetic excuse for cheese they're putting in.
Vegetables bought on the same supermarket are cheaper and seems to me that are better quality, not to mention the fact I could mix and match happily.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
Hi! I'll tag Daisy for you with basic information. @daisy1 . Also do you like salads? They have become my new go to with avocados, walnuts and beans and lots of other fresh vegetables! Also scrambled eggs are very easy and delicious.

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
buy a cooked chicken and a tray of veg (no potatoes) done! or, for a hangover cure (assuming you drink) go to McD's and get 2 double sausage an egg mcmuffins and ask for no buns or, order Chinese chicken foo yung with stir fry veg or, go to kebabshop and order shish kebab and large salad no bread or, buy steak and serve with mashed avocado (add a teaspoon of mustard) or, go to takeaway and order a large portion of chicken wings or, go to local curry house and ask for tandoori mixed grill with vegetable curry or, go to your local late shop and buy 2 scotch eggs or, chop chicken breast throw in a frying pan with bag of mixed stir fry and add a lot of soy sauce or, buy bag of mussels from supermarket (in cream sauce) mop up sauce with lidl protein roll or, bacon and eggs or, spag bol on corgetti or, any curry on cauliflower rice or, chill out and eat a big bag of pork scratchings. I think I could literally go on forever but i'm now hungry so going to Tesco to buy 2 boiled eggs served on a bed of fresh spinach which I will eat with a tin of tuna mashed with a fresh chilli and a huge dollop of mayo............have a nice day and good luck :)

Fabulous, hungry now...:p

Paul_K

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, New on here.
Just been told I am at high risk of developing diabetes, not sure if that is classed as prediabetes as pre sounds a bit more definite to me, but....... I'm on my own now and a bit of a disaster area when it comes to cooking so live mostly on ready meals and take-aways.
The nurse who gave me the wonderful news started to talk about diet etc. but think she decided I was a lost cause when I told her the bit above so I'm dazed-n-confused now, internet searches just bring up loads of recipes which aren't a lot of use to me. I also tried searching for food types to avoid or go for but that didn't come up with anything much that I found helpful either.

I work a lot of hours (70p/w) and used to find it tough to eat properly when I was first diagnosed. What helped me was finding www.myprotein.com. They sell low carb very healthy microwaveable ready meals (6 pack = £2.50-3.00 per meal). What I do is steam some veg and cook a small amount of pasta (10mins) whilst I'm making my lunch and eating breakfast (bran and blueberries) before work. My entire days healthy food is done and dusted in 10mins with a hot meal thrown in there too, all for very little money. The cost of an entire months shopping never goes over £150, that's not including the odd takeaway as a treat though. I've lost over a stone a month since diagnosis eating like this (20 units per day Lantis at the start, nothing now) with around 35k p/w cycling to and from work everyday. I couldn't be happier, once you find an easy way to control diet and exercise it's like diabetes doesn't even exist, diet and exercise take so much of the hassle out of it.

Reactions: Prem51 and Salvia

jackybob

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bulkbiker , I agree totally in what you have said . 50 years with diabetes always overweight and started 8 months ago on a Low carb high fat regime . I am now 2 stones lighter and feel much healthier . Hba1c dropped to normal range so ... if a type 1 for 50 years can do it and turn things around , my personal view is it's going to help a potential type 2 person .

Sonnyboy123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi there. I'm T2 for the last 10 yrs and have this year pulled my head out of the sand. LCHF for last 3 months and have bloods of 5.7ish to 7.5 generally. Highest is normally morning one. I do 18hr fasts each day. 6pm - mid-day next day. Don't miss brekky at all and keeps my bloods under pretty good control. Bread is my weakness, but have found Lidl Low GI Cob at £1.19ea to be good for me at not spiking. I have a couple of thick slices per day and love the taste. I've been trying to find out what makes it low glycemic index but have had no success. It works for me, but we know we're all different. I'm a 6ft 1in male weighing 13st 2lb, having dropped 12lbs since starting the LCHF. Love reading all of your posts and have learned so much. Well that's me done for now.....was only going to mention the bread!

kenneth_SW19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey MGB.... are you the proud owner of a 'sporty' little motor?

You inherited lots of helpful information - firstly you are only PRE-diabetic, so yes a chance to change your diet/exercise regime and REVERSE that trend back to nowhere close to diabetic...
TRUST me that outcome would be EXTREMELY worthwhile - so make that your Goal.

Secondly many above comments also very helpful.
Third - the more your food is 'processed' the more likely it is to have added 'this' and added 'that' including SUGARS and SALTS etc. each of which are unlikely to be of help in the broader sense.
But of course a Ready/microwave meal is a timesaver and not a life downer when used in moderation.

Did you (anyone else?) see BBC program on Diabetes (Tues this week), and the ITV one tonight (Thursday ITV.com/Tonight Can Diet Really Save you from Diabetes). Worth a good watch.

MGB, I recommend lower Carb intake (ie. less breads, pasta, rice - and/or smaller portions). Try to introduce simple FRESH products for home made meals like salads, or eggs omelette/boiled/scramble etc. Steaks & meat as opposed to ready with rich sugary sauces (check those traffic light signals on the packets - and AVOID RED/Orange against Sugars/Salts).

Good wishes to avoid becoming diabetic! It's only sensible.
PS. Yes I too indulge in a few too many ready made microwaves, but my fresh meals take longer, taste better, and way more healthy. Everything in moderation, but exercise too and enjoy the MGB?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Why not actually take an hour sometime and prepare something that can be frozen and really easy to do.

A curry for us done in a big pan by my hubby on Sunday has just been finished!! (2 portions were frozen and then thawed)..Yes the same curry sauce but it takes less than 10 mins to grate and fry a courgette or just have the curry (you really do not need the rice). Hubbys plates are big....
How about just having a go at cooking and freezing?

iHs

A slow cooker is ideal for busy people and I often used one to cook food while I was at work. Meat is lovely and tender,

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was never much of a cook prior to my diagnosis and ate way too many ready meals. Once my eyes were opened, the biggest shock to me was reading the ingredient list on these "food" offerings. Now I wouldn't touch any of them with a barge pole.

I'm probably still the most basic cook on the planet, but I can manage simple meals and have come to prefer knowing exactly what goes into the food I eat.

Youtube is a great "how to" resource for anyone embarking on low carb. There are so many keto cooking channels to choose from. I recently posted some links to a low carb cooking course - mostly "one pot wonders" here: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-cooking-class.109997/

milesrf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
spammers, off topic posters, side effects of a stroke
Another food to avoid is usually called corn here in the US but called maize instead in the UK. Some fast food places here offer sandwiches using lettuce leaves instead of bread, so you could try making such sandwiches. A few fast food places label a few items on the menu as low carb; you could watch for that at any nearby fast food places.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Mikegolfbravo

Hello Mike and welcome to the forum :) In addition to all the useful advice you have received from members, here is the basic information, mentioned above, which we give to new members and I hope you will find it helpful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to answer.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 210,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Mikegolfbravo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Sonnyboy123 - I did have one, wish I had kept it, but MGB is my initials, the forum would not let me use any variation of my name when I registered.

There have been various references to full-fat dairy and cooking with butter etc. on some posts, would anyone know where I can find some background info on that.

Still getting lots of useful info, thanks to all.

I'm not a big user of forums, are there any instructions anywhere of how things work, like how it appears when people quote other posts and such, I have tried selecting some sections and a 'reply' box comes up but then my browser says it has blocked something and nothing happens even if I click on the button to allow the content.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
There have been various references to full-fat dairy and cooking with butter etc. on some posts, would anyone know where I can find some background info on that.

Still getting lots of useful info, thanks to all.

I'm not a big user of forums, are there any instructions anywhere of how things work, like how it appears when people quote other posts and such, I have tried selecting some sections and a 'reply' box comes up but then my browser says it has blocked something and nothing happens even if I click on the button to allow the content.

Hi @Mikegolfbravo you can find some information about the Low Carbohydrate High Fat (LCHF) approach to eating here:
www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/low-carb-high-fat-diet.html

And you can find the Forum Geginner's Video Guide here:
www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/forum-beginners-video-guides.51729/