Roast dinner

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol. Thanks for the advice. I was very good today. I have been looking at sugars and carbohydrates etc. So off shopping later for food and roast dinner. No Yorkshires but have decided on a single potato cut in half for me and green veg and a little gravy. No pud for me. Just got to see what i can do for brekkie and lunch as im not a brekkie peraon and if i do its normally a couple of slices of toast so will have a look see. Although i did see a cereal at work that looked good and not too bad on carbohydrates and no added sugar so will see. Must buy some scales too x
Personally I would say if you're not hungry then don't eat breakfast. Much better to have a slight extended fast until lunch. Just have a cup of tea or coffee..

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
I too am a new member to the forum but not new to diabetes.
A thousand welcomes to you and stop apologising and you are not a pain.
We may all be at different stages of diabetes but diabetes makes companions of us all.

The only thing i'd like to chip in is a gentle stroll after a heavy meal is good for anyone but more good for a diabetic........

Kindest regards and good luck

Tony

Reactions: mo53 and Jojotaylor

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jojotaylor First of all a welcome from me. A couple of suggestions for your sheps pie, I mash butter beans now, no potato. Just a knob of butter, no milk, its creamy in texture on its own.
On a fish pie I now roughly mash celeriac, cut up into small cubes and fry with some olive oil for 10 mins, then add boiling water until softish. Mash with a knob of butter. I wish I had discovered it earlier, as I prefer it to mash potato, but appreciate it is not to everybodys taste. For both do season as required.
HTH

Reactions: mo53

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, it's just common sense.

Really? I think its just a creation of advertising.. As I've said many times I haven't eaten anything in the morning for a year. Seems to have helped reduce my blood glucose readings and with weight loss so it's very common sense for me not to have it.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I roast celeriac and swede cut into pieces all with spuds (for non diabetics ) I add a little wine to the meat juices and fast boil to thicken serve with lots of broccoli ,caulli,green beans ,braised celery,kale,spinach and / or any other green veg You can eat lots of veg ,meat without your BG s going too high
CAROL

Reactions: mist
M

mist

I roast celeriac and swede cut into pieces all with spuds (for non diabetics ) I add a little wine to the meat juices and fast boil to thicken serve with lots of broccoli ,caulli,green beans ,braised celery,kale,spinach and / or any other green veg You can eat lots of veg ,meat without your BG s going too high
CAROL

I'll be over at 5pm :D

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Roast dinners at w/e only !!
CAROL

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lol. Thanks for the advice. I was very good today. I have been looking at sugars and carbohydrates etc. So off shopping later for food and roast dinner. No Yorkshires but have decided on a single potato cut in half for me and green veg and a little gravy. No pud for me. Just got to see what i can do for brekkie and lunch as im not a brekkie peraon and if i do its normally a couple of slices of toast so will have a look see. Although i did see a cereal at work that looked good and not too bad on carbohydrates and no added sugar so will see. Must buy some scales too x
With kids in the loop, brown rice might attract a YUK. Basmatti or Patna rice is probably more acceptable for them. In my family, the carbies get usual fare, and I adapt by having my curry with a Lidl High Protein roll with butter instead of rice.

A trick my T1D mother used to do is to boil the rice as usual, then put it into a seive and pour boiling water from the kettle over it to remove some of the gloppy starch.

With roast pots, the oil will slow the metabolism down, and reduce the bgl spike a bit. The worst culptit for a diabetic is mashed potato. When you get time, study the Glycemic Index (GI) to see how fibre affects the sugar levels. As a Newbie to all this, there is much to learn, so just take it gently, and introduce changes over time.

In my family we all do a Low Carb diet, and it is now actually preferred even by the carbies. I adjust my portion sizes, and use things like protein rolls where starchy foods are also on offer, E.g. Fish and chips for me is jumbo fish, no chips. I can actually eat the batter as well without spiking, but not if it comes from the Chinese takeaway since they add sugar to just about everything.

You will see people advising 'eat to meter' which will require an investment from you to purchase a meter. This is sound advice which I support as it has been a godsend for me. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeccyB

davej1950

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Set yourself a target for carb, say 100g or 150g/day for example. Then calculate your carbs through the day, raw potatoes are about 16g carb/100g. You can easily have a hefty evening meal with 2-3 roast potatoes, green beans, cauliflower, cabbage, gravy, upto 50g carb if you keep your other meals low, GF sausages, bacon, egg for breakfast, cold meat and salad for lunch.
There is something called cauli rice that comes in microwave pouches that are expensive but good substitutes for rice with curry.
Read the labels, avoid high carb foods, you can still have enjoyable food without starving yourself.

Genie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness
Hi Jojotaylor,

Try the cauliflower rice with your curry, don't tell the kids, I bet they wont even notice.
Go onto My Fitness Pal on the internet, it will tell you exactly how many carbs are in anything you want to eat, even curry, and as long as you stay with around 50 carbs per meal, 150 a day, you should be able to keep diabetes at bay.
I wish I'd known to count carbs five years ago and maybe I wouldn't be a diabetic on insulin now !!!!!
Hope it works out for you.
Regards
Genie1

Jojotaylor

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thank you. Ive actually bought the caulirice tonight so will give it a go and ive been looking at sugar and carbs on packaging too on items. Ill download my fitness pal tomorrow. Thanks for advice x

Genie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness
Lot cheaper to make your own, just blitz a cauli in the blender ,bit at a time, till it looks like rice then warm in microwave for 2 minutes.
Go on the internet and type in "low carb meals" and you will get loads of ideas

Reactions: Jojotaylor
M

mist

Cauliflower seems to be everywhere! :D

Cauliflower-Man--117813.jpg

Jojotaylor

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I only bought 1 packet see if i like it first and if so ill make my own especially as not too keen on cauliflower. Thanks for advice x