Type 2 To eat high fat or not ... that is the question

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
I've found it easy to forgo potatoes, rice, pasta and bread since my type 2 diagnosis 13 months ago, but now I'm wondering if my cholestrol being raised will cause an issue with adopting a high fat diet instead?
I've mentioned it on another thread, but thought I ought to post a separate one.
A couple of years ago the non-diabetic Me had a cholestrol of 7.3, and upon diagnosis it was 7
I had my second review last month and it had come down to 6.3 but they weren't happy with that and my GP wanted to put me on Statins. I refused ... and she suggested Plant Sterols which I am now taking with each meal ( for a week now). But am I making things worse by having butter, cheese, cream etc in my diet?
I would love some advice please

Reactions: Liverlad and Freema

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I doubt it. All the vast expense of reducing Cholesterol is not backed up by an improvement in life expectancy - in fact those countries where they are at the higher end of the cholesterol range have longer life, on average - so they are encouraging you to bring on a premature demise by lowering your levels.

Reactions: Liverlad

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For a start, you have only quoted your total cholesterol, and this is fairly meaningless on its own, for you and for us. You need to know all the component parts. It is known that carbs cause reduced HDL so cutting those right down will have the effect of raising the HDL, which is the good cholesterol. The major baddies in cholesterol are the triglycerides, and you need to keep these as low as possible, and the various ratios need to be good.

I can only speak from experience, but my cholesterol components improved significantly when I went LCHF. A year later when I needed to stop losing weight I greatly increased my fats in the form of lots more eggs and other dairy, also I introduced cheese which I hadn't eaten previously. So my diet became very high fat. I was a bit concerned my cholesterol would deteriorate, but it didn't. It was even better. It remains in a good state now, 2 years on from then.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've found it easy to forgo potatoes, rice, pasta and bread since my type 2 diagnosis 13 months ago, but now I'm wondering if my cholestrol being raised will cause an issue with adopting a high fat diet instead?
I've mentioned it on another thread, but thought I ought to post a separate one.
A couple of years ago the non-diabetic Me had a cholestrol of 7.3, and upon diagnosis it was 7
I had my second review last month and it had come down to 6.3 but they weren't happy with that and my GP wanted to put me on Statins. I refused ... and she suggested Plant Sterols which I am now taking with each meal ( for a week now). But am I making things worse by having butter, cheese, cream etc in my diet?

my experience is that the less carbs I eat the lower my cholesterol has gotten... , eating a lot of garlic in ones food a lot also helps ones cholesterol go down , drinking a glas of water with a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar before ones meals also helps lowering ones cholesterol .... there are also other kinds of foods , eating a lot of olives and olive oil too lowers ones cholesterol , fish oil , walnuts, oatmeal and avocadoes ... :)

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...sterol/in-depth/cholesterol/art-20045192?pg=1

Last edited:

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
For a start, you have only quoted your total cholesterol, and this is fairly meaningless on its own, for you and for us. You need to know all the component parts. It is known that carbs cause reduced HDL so cutting those right down will have the effect of raising the HDL, which is the good cholesterol. The major baddies in cholesterol are the triglycerides, and you need to keep these as low as possible, and the various ratios need to be good.

I can only speak from experience, but my cholesterol components improved significantly when I went LCHF. A year later when I needed to stop losing weight I greatly increased my fats in the form of lots more eggs and other dairy, also I introduced cheese which I hadn't eaten previously. So my diet became very high fat. I was a bit concerned my cholesterol would deteriorate, but it didn't. It was even better. It remains in a good state now, 2 years on from then.
The GP told me that my good cholestrol and the other thing were bang on, but my bad cholestrol was raised!

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
my experience is that the less carbs I eat the lower my cholesterol has gotten... , eating a lot of garlic in ones food a lot also helps ones cholesterol go down , drinking a glas of water with a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar before ones meals also helps lowering ones cholesterol .... there are also other kinds of foods , eating a lot of olive oil too lowers ones cholesterol , fish oil , walnuts, oatmeal and avocadoes ... :)

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...sterol/in-depth/cholesterol/art-20045192?pg=1
I have a wonderful concoction of porridge made with Almond milk and water, then add pumpkin seeds, cinnamon, two full teaspoons of chia seeds, then top it off with half a dozen raspberries ...or sometimes blueberries every morning! I test after it and my bg goes from 6.3 average to 6.7 so I'm very happy with that :)

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a wonderful concoction of porridge made with Almond milk and water, then add pumpkin seeds, cinnamon, two full teaspoons of chia seeds, then top it off with half a dozen raspberries ...or sometimes blueberries every morning! I test after it and my bg goes from 6.3 average to 6.7 so I'm very happy with that :)

sounds delicious, what does concoction mean ? I am not english by the way ;) well okay now I got it...haha

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
sounds delicious, what does concoction mean ? I am not english by the way ;) well okay now I got it...haha
Ha ha ... it means a mixture. Sorry to confuse you there!

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
excercise also lowers ones cholesterol especially the LDL...
Then this is what I must do! I have quite a busy day ... to and fro to mum's house caring for her, but it's only a four minute walk away so I'm not doing that much exercise really, am I? I usually go there and back three or four times a day. How much would you consider to be enough to lower my bad cholesterol readings please?

Ronni.p

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I must admit I struggle with the thought of having butter and cream, etc. Would your diet be as satisfying if you replaced them with other types of fats such as avocado, nuts, olive oil etc? That should make a difference to your cholesterol numbers and you could hopefully avoid the statins.

Reactions: Mal37 and Liverlad

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Then this is what I must do! I have quite a busy day ... to and fro to mum's house caring for her, but it's only a four minute walk away so I'm not doing that much exercise really, am I? I usually go there and back three or four times a day. How much would you consider to be enough to lower my bad cholesterol readings please?

The more steps you can take the better. Most that are active would try to work up to around 10,000 or more steps a day, they dont have to be all at once.

Ultimately, it depends on your level of fitness and mobility. That said, the more you can do, the more beneficial it will be for your health and glucose levels.

Personally, I try to walk 2-3 miles daily on at least 5 out of 7 days.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can recommend getting a fitbit or a similar step counter. I love mine and it really does encourage me to do the 10.000 daily steps.
I sometimes jog around the house at 11.50pm if I have been a bit low on steps to get to my goal before midnight when it resets !

Reactions: jonbvn and Ronni.p

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can recommend getting a fitbit or a similar step counter. I love mine and it really does encourage me to do the 10.000 daily steps.
I sometimes jog around the house at 11.50pm if I have been a bit low on steps to get to my goal before midnight when it resets !
I completely agree. I bought a smart watch as I'm gadget obsessed not for the health monitoring but its been absolutely brilliant. It monitors my steps and activity, monitors my pulse for issues, monitors my sleep and reports on it. Monitors glucose, BP, food, calories, all sorts.

It even tells me to get up and move if I'm inactive for an hour or so.

Cannot live without it now.

Reactions: Ronni.p

Liverlad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Check the labels
; Unsaturated fats are ok in moderate amounts , just steer away from SATURATED FATS , these are the ones that will create the most negative health issues

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
I must admit I struggle with the thought of having butter and cream, etc. Would your diet be as satisfying if you replaced them with other types of fats such as avocado, nuts, olive oil etc? That should make a difference to your cholesterol numbers and you could hopefully avoid the statins.
Yes I eat loads of nuts every day as snacks and also use olive oil.