I'm not hungry, how to make myself eat?

skal

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm just the same I can't eat as I don't feel hungry do you think it could be side effect of metformin

They say it could curb the appetite but I've been on it for 8 years and any appetite suppressing effect is long gone. I've gone from eating constantly to hardly wanting food overnight so it is definitely the new diet

Reactions: daisyduck

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm just the same I can't eat as I don't feel hungry do you think it could be side effect of metformin
Yes it could it certainly affected me that way for months. When I started on Metformin my appetite went I was just making myself eat but not enough. I had always been slim and I was loosing weight I did not need to and it altered my taste for a lot of foods I just could not eat them anymore. As I gradually worked up to 2000mg twice a day my lack of appetite got worse From 2000mg twice a day my doctor put it down to 500 mg twice a day still no improvement Now I have been on 500mg once a day for about 4 weeks my doctor is happy with that as she said any dose is better than none at all and my appetite has slowly come back....but not yet the weight I lost .. I had really forgotten what it was like to actually feel hungry so it is really good to feel like that now and I am enjoying my food again

skal

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So did you end up eating anything?
2 pieces of flax crackers,butter and cheese.
Then tapas, prawns,meatballs and peppers and at home some sugarfree sweeties and berries and cream

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have never got any hunger at all.

To remind me to eat hubby makes my evening food and leaves in fridge for me. Even staring at it everytime I go to fridge for milk or water does not make me hungry.

The only way for me is to set my alarm clock on phone to 4pm when I have my basal injection, so I will do a bolus at the same time. However, even then if I get distracted I completely forget to eat until I am suddenly hypo...

For me I don't actually think there is a reason for people to have so many meals and snacks a day..I've not got an eating disorder, just genuine no hunger or thoughts around food so struggle to eat one small tea plate of food a day. Yet, I do enjoy it when I am eating it.

Amandamc2711

Type of diabetes
Type 2
you had to mention berries and cream, didn't you?

Drooling at the thought.

Off to the fridge now...
What happens when cream, cheese and nuts don't agree with you ,what do people substitute these things with, and I'm not a huge lover of avocado. This is my second go at LCHF as I got good results but couldn't keep it up
Right I'm on day 6 of the plan and have completely lost my appetite. I know this is no good and I need to eat but how can I make myself when the idea of food disgusts me... I am about to make a bulletproof coffee to get some fat in...

skal

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have a look at recipes for fat bombs. They are like sweets and the variety is huge. They use cocoa butter, coconut butter and such likes.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would move to peanut, cashew and almond butters, pate, ham, hard boiled eggs, sliceds of pepperoni, dark chocolate (70%), sugar free jelly, coyos (yog made from coconut milk) and maybe consider making some LC protein bars and fat bombs.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes it certainly can but if you have weight to lose consider it a blessing.

FaithinOK

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never got any hunger at all.

To remind me to eat hubby makes my evening food and leaves in fridge for me. Even staring at it everytime I go to fridge for milk or water does not make me hungry.

The only way for me is to set my alarm clock on phone to 4pm when I have my basal injection, so I will do a bolus at the same time. However, even then if I get distracted I completely forget to eat until I am suddenly hypo...

For me I don't actually think there is a reason for people to have so many meals and snacks a day..I've not got an eating disorder, just genuine no hunger or thoughts around food so struggle to eat one small tea plate of food a day. Yet, I do enjoy it when I am eating it.
So dont eat until hungry. Your body knows best. Nothing wrong with fasting!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
So dont eat until hungry. Your body knows best. Nothing wrong with fasting!

That is not correct advice... sorry.

Some people have no hunger. I don't because of stomach problems. People with GP do not get hunger, whether diabetic or not, because their stomachs do not empty properly.. people with slow or paralysed colons can feel the same and nauseous etc because nothing has moved. Vagus nerve damage can be absolutely horrible. Some people never feel hungry with these conditions.

People that have anorexia etc get past the point of hunger etc..

My 1st hubby with 26" waist had effectively killed off his hunger and his innards had shrunk to not being able to eat very much and never had hunger.

Please, please do not tell people not to eat unless they are hungry. For me... if I took that advice, I would never eat again!!!

slinkimalinki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it OK to fast when on Metformin though? I don't know what to do when I don't feel like eating - do I take a Metformin or not, because it does say to take with food.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I can take metformin without food and I do every morning. The only way to know is to try taking it without food. If you get crazy diarrhea then don't do that.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is not correct advice... sorry.

Some people have no hunger. I don't because of stomach problems. People with GP do not get hunger, whether diabetic or not, because their stomachs do not empty properly.. people with slow or paralysed colons can feel the same and nauseous etc because nothing has moved. Vagus nerve damage can be absolutely horrible. Some people never feel hungry with these conditions.

People that have anorexia etc get past the point of hunger etc..

My 1st hubby with 26" waist had effectively killed off his hunger and his innards had shrunk to not being able to eat very much and never had hunger.

Please, please do not tell people not to eat unless they are hungry. For me... if I took that advice, I would never eat again!!!

You have very specific dietary and health issues @donnellysdogs

I think all your comments hold true for you, in your personal situation, but there are a heck of a lot of the rest of us for whom 'eat when you are hungry' and 'don't eat if you aren't' is very much common sense advice!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
You have very specific dietary and health issues @donnellysdogs

I think all your comments hold true for you, in your personal situation, but there are a heck of a lot of the rest of us for whom 'eat when you are hungry' and 'don't eat if you aren't' is very much common sense advice!

Agree totally but, we should never make assumptions that this is the case...

Thats why I also mentioned anorexics... etc as I know I have my own problems.

sandylane

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I have been on the Blood Sugar diet and have been eating 50g of carb a day or less. I too have completely lost my appetite. Like the original poster, I have gone from someone who was obsessed about where the next meal was coming from , to a position now, where food and eating is not on my mind, I miss meals subconsciously because my body has changed.

I seem to have fallen into occasional natural fasting pattern.

I feel great!

Unless you are underweight, I would not worry about missing meals and fasting :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree totally but, we should never make assumptions that this is the case...

Thats why I also mentioned anorexics... etc as I know I have my own problems.

DD - I'm not looking to pick fights or disagreements, but whilst the translation from either Greek or late Latin of the word "anorexia" means "without appetite", the current more common interpretation of the word relates to anorexia nervosa.

For a great many (I could be tempted to write most) sufferers of anorexia nervosa, the hunger doesn't subside.

Like so many conditions anorexia nervosa is a highly complex and individualised condition which is often exceptionally deep-rooted, and tricky to resolve. For reasons I have documented in the past, I have done significant amounts of reading on this.

To repeat, I'm not picking fights with anyone, but I think to link my own comments back to the OP and the question of how to make oneself eat, where there is no hunger, the most important thing is that the individual must want to actually eat - whether they have hunger or recognise some physiological reason for them, as an individual. Without the will (as opposed to desire) to eat nothing will happen.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

So much of this forum is about eating/not eating for weight loss or to have good blood glucose levels. What ever happened to eating food for nutrition? If a person stops eating because they are not hungry, they are not getting any nutrients. This is vital so should not be accepted. I hope those without an appetite can find a solution.

Judlepip

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Not Metformin in my case, just no hunger - :(

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I may be a bit paranoid admittedly. Being hugely overweight and traditionally looking to eat for most of my waking hours, it is very alien not to be gunning for a food/ carb fix.
I'll just let things settle and see what happens...

That is what is so liberating about the LCHF diet. Once those carb cravings have gone, it's amazing that the urge to eat all the time disappears too.
I eat when I feel like it and don't bother if I don't. I often forget the time and realise I've missed a meal.. no problem.
I still sometimes get the munchies though, but snack on the good stuff, scratchings, nuts, cheese and lovely bulletproof coffee