White flour contains diabetes-causing contaminant alloxan

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Re: White flour contains diabetes-causing contaminant alloxa

That article is from 2005 and things have moved on a bit since then, this is from 2010.

Alloxan.
Because it selectively kills the insulin-producing beta-cells found in the pancreas, alloxan is used to induce diabetes in laboratory animals. This occurs most likely because of selective uptake of the compound due to its structural similarity to glucose as well as the beta-cell's highly efficient uptake mechanism (GLUT2).

However, alloxan is not toxic to the human beta-cell, even in very high doses, probably due to differing glucose uptake mechanisms in humans and rodents.

There appears to be much comment on the Blog circuits of the net. Seems there is always somebody with a scare story......personally I'm not particualrly bothered as if it is in the flour the quantity must be miniscule. So, I think I shall still have my treat of a lovely crusty white bread with lashings of butter........

Ken

Sue Morton

Thats done it now Ken I would prefer to have a lovely white just baked crusty bread with loads of butteer then chocolate but what does bread do to me - make me put on weight and I hadn't thought of white crusty bread till you mentioned it - in loving memory !

Sue :lol:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Sue.

I know.........I'm baaaaaaad............ :twisted: :D
How about a Jam Doughnut........ :wink:

Ken

Dippy3103

Ohhh, nice crusty white roll with cheese and washed down with a glass of red (or two). Ken, you have led me astray (well, if i had some nice crusty bread or red wine).

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Dippy.
I know a nice little place in France......... :wink:

Ken

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Dippy3103 said:
Fab.... Olives too?

Nah ! It's a mate of mines......who's Olive ? :wink:

Ken

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates

cugila said:
Sue.

I know.........I'm baaaaaaad............ :twisted: :D
How about a Jam Doughnut........ :wink:

Ken
Stick with ring doughnuts - they have carb free centres.
icon_nodonut.gif

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions

Exactly right, Ian.

Whoever said 'The whiter the bread, the sooner you'll be dead' was obviously unfamiliar with the latest technical advances in ring doughnuttery. :mrgreen: