LCHF diet

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
With my bacon I have eggs, and variously tomato and mushrooms, sweet pepper and sometimes courgette. I boil the bacon for about a minute so as to reduce the salt and soluble preservatives, sieve it out and put it back into the pan with the other things, to crisp up.
I drink 'real' coffee with cream, and then later in the day have a second meal, meat or fish with low carb veges or a salad.
Fresh veges full of vitamins, sweet and crunchy with olive oil and wine vinegar dressing - absolutely delicious and they keep my blood glucose at normal levels.
Honestly I'd not eat a wrap with my bacon if you offered folding money - even if I wasn't diabetic. Which I suppose I'm not, but you get my drift.
I do eat berries with cream, or a few grapes, or lately I have had Greek yoghurt with desiccated coconut - but try to keep to below 8 mmol/l all the time.
I avoid all cereals, potatoes and other starchy vegetables most legumes other than a few peas or green beans, and all sugary fruits, and don't seem to need any medication.

Reactions: Prem51

Mynameiskez

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
finger pricking and maths at every meal
I wish I had time to prepare such a breakfast. I'm off work at the moment but usually I wouldn't have time for that. The wrap is my compromise for bread slices. It's not my favourite I admit but it's better than just bacon on its own. The wrap is my only form of carbon though - save for that found in all veg.
I don't eat any potatoes rice pasta etc.
But if you don't have any glucose in the first place it doesn't matter if you are diabetic or not you won't have much energy to work with. Even ketogenic diet websites warn of this.

You are t2 which is very different to me. I'm pleased for you that you can manage without medication. Sadly I'm taking tons and it's doing nothing to help. I just have to sit and wait until I can get some insulin and pray that I can overcome my fear of needles soon before my life is completely ruined by all this.

With my bacon I have eggs, and variously tomato and mushrooms, sweet pepper and sometimes courgette. I boil the bacon for about a minute so as to reduce the salt and soluble preservatives, sieve it out and put it back into the pan with the other things, to crisp up.
I drink 'real' coffee with cream, and then later in the day have a second meal, meat or fish with low carb veges or a salad.
Fresh veges full of vitamins, sweet and crunchy with olive oil and wine vinegar dressing - absolutely delicious and they keep my blood glucose at normal levels.
Honestly I'd not eat a wrap with my bacon if you offered folding money - even if I wasn't diabetic. Which I suppose I'm not, but you get my drift.
I do eat berries with cream, or a few grapes, or lately I have had Greek yoghurt with desiccated coconut - but try to keep to below 8 mmol/l all the time.
I avoid all cereals, potatoes and other starchy vegetables most legumes other than a few peas or green beans, and all sugary fruits, and don't seem to need any medication.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cooking breakfast takes five minutes from pouring the water onto the still frozen bacon to plating up - and that is without rushing. It would be even faster if I defrosted the bacon overnight.
Have you now been diagnosed as type 1.5?

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

Mynameiskez

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cooking breakfast takes five minutes from pouring the water onto the still frozen bacon to plating up - and that is without rushing. It would be even faster if I defrosted the bacon overnight.
Have you now been diagnosed as type 1.5?

Which is why I have it. Throw eggs, toms and mushrooms into the mix and I'm late for work.

Very recently.

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Or change your breakfast completely? Full fat Greek yogurt with berries or crushed nuts perhaps? @Mynameiskez. Are you prediabetic then Kez? Or even non diabetic?

Mynameiskez

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm not asking how to go from 50g per day to 0. I'm asking about cholesterol.

Yes I could have yogurt and berries for breakfast. If I want to spend all my time shopping for food that perishes quickly. And berries aren't cheap.

Not pre or none. Quite the opposite. I was wrongly diagnosed t2 three years ago and have been on a large amount of meds since. They are not working and this led to me finally getting the tests I should have 3 years ago to reveal t1.5 or Lada.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not asking how to go from 50g per day to 0. I'm asking about cholesterol.

Then have a read around the forum on cholesterol and statins. Search for it in the search box. Then are a huge amount of threads on the subject.
One of them is here
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-breckenridge-2017-video-presentations.117712/
You may find you don't need to worry about cholesterol.
Also no-one suggested you follow a low carb low fat way of eating apart from you.

You sound very angry in your posts, I'm not sure if you are or that's just how you come across.
We are trying to help.
Also yoghurt lasts for ages and berries can be bought frozen so they are cheaper and last for ages... just a thought.

Mynameiskez

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm not angry ' I'm trying to get the thread back on track to my original question. As my diabetes is effectively untreated at the moment I have no choice about low carb. If i eat any above the ammout i have i suffer hyperglycemia. low fat aspect has come in as my gp is concerned about my cholesterol as I said earlier.

Thanks for the link - I will take a look.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
I'm not angry ' I'm trying to get the thread back on track to my original question. As my diabetes is effectively untreated at the moment I have no choice about low carb. If i eat any above the ammout i have i suffer hyperglycemia. low fat aspect has come in as my gp is concerned about my cholesterol as I said earlier.

Sorry for derailing your thread, I suggested yogurt and berries because I thought your main concern was lack of time in the mornings and flinging these in a bowl is super fast. I hope that you find the help that you are looking for

DevonVee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

As a suggestion get some raspberries or blue berries and freeze. Quick zap in the microwave and some full fat yoghurt and you are done. Or pre boil eggs and pop in fridge great for snack or quick breakfast withprecooked sausages
I do the bulletproof coffee in the morning with coconut oil. Two kids does not always give me a lot of time to think about me.
As the others have said, my cholesterol has come down even though I have gone high fat with cream butter etc in just 2 months.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
To be honest your cholesterol levels as of this moment should not be of major concern to you cholesterol may or may not be problematic at some point in the future your blood sugar levels are of immediate importance and are what you need to be dealing with now. if you don't then low cholesterol levels may well be irrelevant.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mynameiskez

Why not try the increased fats for a while?. You should find your energy levels increase, and you can then ask for another cholesterol and lipids test at the end of 3 months, and see how you go from there? Surely this is worth a try?

Your doctor is concerned because the NHS likes diabetics to have a total cholesterol of under 4, which is ridiculous, especially for females. Experts in the field (including NICE) are now putting more emphasis on the cholesterol ratios and HDL rather than the total.

Reactions: Mynameiskez

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To be honest your cholesterol levels as of this moment should not be of major concern to you cholesterol may or may not be problematic at some point in the future your blood sugar levels are of immediate importance and are what you need to be dealing with now. if you don't then low cholesterol levels may well be irrelevant.
I agree when they sort out what type you are and provide the correct medication then you can worry about cholesterol.

Are you loosing weight? When I lost 6 stone my cholesterol went up a bit that year but is better than ever now.

alaska

However I have seen an increase in my cholesterol which is now giving my med professionals more cause to nag me about what I eat and the threat of statins (God no) is on the cards.

Can I ask all the LCHF advocates what they do about their cholesterol? Have they seen it rise? How can this be good if so?

Many thanks

I'm one of those whose cholesterol went up. Total chol went up, LDL went up, HDL went up. Triglycerides were always fine.

My total cholesterol was above 9 at one point and my LDL was above 6, so my doctor asked me to consider statins but I said no, I'd rather wait.

During this time, my ratio of total cholesterol to HDL was healthy (well under 4) because my HDL was doing fine.

This was also handy for convincing my doctor we were ok to wait things out. I'm also fairly young (was early 30s at the time).

As it happened, my LDL and total cholesterol then steadily went down over the next few years.

Currently, my cholesterol is over 5 mmol/l so still 'too high' for some doctors but the ratio of total cholesterol to HDL is extremely healthy. In fact, I have almost as high HDL as LDL by the last test.

And note, I've not taken statins at any point.

This is just one story of course, but might be useful to know.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was trying to point out that what you are eating for breakfast is, in my opinion a poor choice.
What I eat for breakfast is part of the process of gaining control of my blood sugar, as part of that process my cholesterol went down - the numbers are in my signature.
I can only tell you how I did it - and will go on doing it, if you can't be encouraged even to try - what more can anyone say?

Mynameiskez

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I was trying to point out that what you are eating for breakfast is, in my opinion a poor choice.
What I eat for breakfast is part of the process of gaining control of my blood sugar, as part of that process my cholesterol went down - the numbers are in my signature.
I can only tell you how I did it - and will go on doing it, if you can't be encouraged even to try - what more can anyone say?
I'm sorry I'm not finding your attitude towards me very helpful at all. Thanks for trying though. I appreciate that much.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In the absence of time to cook, couple of berries, some nuts, double cream, Greek yogurt and a chunk of avocado in the blender and drink it. Very high calorie, very low carb but more importantly very quick and will sustain you all day due to the calorie count.

Mynameiskez

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
In the absence of time to cook, couple of berries, some nuts, double cream, Greek yogurt and a chunk of avocado in the blender and drink it. Very high calorie, very low carb but more importantly very quick and will sustain you all day due to the calorie count.

I think I'm coming around to the idea of a more liquid breakfast. I've always had an aversion to liquid based meals. Silly psychology really but it doesn't feel like food to me.

Still I must highlight I've not come here for advice on how to lower my already very low carb intake. My dietician has said I should be OK with up to 80g per day which I don't usually reach. If I do I suffer - this tells me it's not my efforts it's my treatments. It doesn't matter what type of diabetes you have you should be able to eat SOME complex carbs. This is where energy comes from. As I have said - even ketogenic diet blogs and sites warn about the dangers of limiting carbs too much.

If you chose to eradicate carbs completely by choice that's fine and an individual's perogative - but it shouldn't be necessary to have such extreme restrictions in managing diabetes.

If you have to limit your carbs so severely due to hyperglycaemia then I would recommend speaking to your care team. You may have been misdiagnosed and have LADA or your meds may need to be increased.