Waitrose coffee shop madness

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How much milk do you put in a coffee, if you really need to consider it as one of your five a day??
Me, it's just a teaspoonful or so.
A **** sight more than a teaspoon I bet.. that hardly changes the colour.. I bet most would have 2 tablespoons at least. I have 2 tablespoons of double cream in mine.

Rosalie_900

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find full cream milk too heavy, in tea or coffee so opt for semi skimmed. On the other hand I adore double cream in cakes and desserts!

I have unsweetened almond milk in red bush tea....it has zero carbs, but doesn't taste as good as milk.....I have found I have got used to it though. I don't often have coffee. But a single shot expresso with lots of proper cream is acceptable.

Reactions: Speedbird

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not in most coffee shops where lattes and cappuccinos are the order of the day... a starbucks grande latte has 19g of carbs..

The OP implied it was a normal flat white. Anyone ordering a Latte would be expecting milk ;)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not in most coffee shops where lattes and cappuccinos are the order of the day... a starbucks grande latte has 19g of carbs..
Lol, to be fair..
I always have to check I haven't inadvertently ordered the the styles mentioned. :banghead: @bulkbiker
I always ask "filter coffee with a tickle of milk. Not the caffeinated bedtime drink."
So yeah, there are places where it happens by "default." :)

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
A **** sight more than a teaspoon I bet.. that hardly changes the colour.. I bet most would have 2 tablespoons at least. I have 2 tablespoons of double cream in mine.

Like I said, if coffee is one of your five a day, that's a different thing to most people.

S

serenity648

Lol, to be fair..
I always have to check I haven't inadvertently ordered the the styles mentioned. :banghead: @bulkbiker
I always ask "filter coffee with a tickle of milk. Not the caffeinated bedtime drink."
So yeah, there are places where it happens by "default." :)

How much is a tickle of milk? lol

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Ironically, 19.5 grams with skimmed milk, 17.9 with whole milk.

So, is that 1.6g really the reason for the diabetes epidemic.
Or does the difference of 1.6g of carbs make no difference at all in the grand scheme of things?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ironically, 19.5 grams with skimmed milk, 17.9 with whole milk.

So, is that 1.6g really the reason for the diabetes epidemic.
Or does the difference of 1.6g of carbs make no difference at all in the grand scheme of things?
I doubt its the 1.6g but the overall amount of carbs in one drink is frightening.. I'm sure I used to have 3 or 4 a day when I was working as well as eating loads of carbs too.. if only I had known then what I know now...

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How much is a tickle of milk? lol
Probably not enough to make it look like the coffee was even in the same county as the milk jug?

I have been told by friends I make a "s417 coffee."
So I also forgot the sugar. Get yer own! ;)

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I doubt its the 1.6g but the overall amount of carbs in one drink is frightening.. I'm sure I used to have 3 or 4 a day when I was working as well as eating loads of carbs too.. if only I had known then what I know now...

Well, I knew it.
my doctor always said "you're too fat, eat less"

Last edited:

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:banghead::bigtears:

Well at least they didn't do what happened to me in a cafe. I ordered a BLACK coffee and was asked by the waiter if I wanted milk or cream. I pointed out that black meant black, no milk or cream. He said he had to bring a jug of one or the other as it was policy.

On the continent one often gets hot milk with tea, it tastes disgusting. I tried to order " cold milk" with my tea - what I actually got was a cup of cold milk with a tea bag in it !

Mind you it was in the same town that served ice-cream with potato chip sticking in it in place of a wafer...... strange habits these foreigners :)

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can email customer services and ask why Waitrose think they are qualified to offer health and dietary advice..
I have done this a few times and engaged in some lively banter.. although in the end its leads to nothing being done in store.. although my local branch now stock Oppo after I complained a lot about it being removed.. just a shame I don't eat it anymore..Oops
Depends if you have lots of time on your hands and like winding supermarkets up...

I did go chat to the manager I can't say as it will have done much good though !

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
On the continent one often gets hot milk with tea, it tastes disgusting. I tried to order " cold milk" with my tea - what I actually got was a cup of cold milk with a tea bag in it !

Mind you it was in the same town that served ice-cream with potato chip sticking in it in place of a wafer...... strange habits these foreigners :)

In my long ago work I had to visit people in their homes. At one such house I was given a cup of tea made with 100% boiled milk, no water. You can guess how disgusting that was. The family was of foreign origin.