Low Carb and No 2's

A

APBNAB703

Hi, Before I look into this low carb way of life, will it have an adverse effect on me and going to the toilet? If so, what do you suggest to help? :twisted:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It might cut down the quantity of poops you knock out, but more likely than not you'll be doing bigger, badder poops!

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Plenty of green leafy veggies are very good for you! :lol:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I know when I tried the low-carb diet, I was so bunged up even a stick of dynamite wouldn't have shifted it! :roll:

Nigel

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Be careful if you have any bowel complaints - I made myself very ill when I low carbed for a while - almost ended up in hospital and have been told by my consultant if It happens again I will probably have to have an op. (I have diverticulitis - I now have about 30g carb a meal - but not just veg - new pots and rice and burgen bread - had no problems since) Drink plenty of fluids too.

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Hi Apbana,

My toiletry habits have certainly decreased but i also feel less bloated. I did suffer a litlle at first but it settled down after a couple of days into a regular routine

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
There's absolutely no reason to be unable to to get enough fibre from a low carb diet, nuts seeds, fruit and veg will provide ample dietary fibre, flax seed at 28g per 100g is one of the best sources. Be careful not to overdo it though, to much fibre can cause stomach pains wind and constipation.

Graham a "regular" Lowcarber :p

jahusba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having to cut carbs
(I have diverticulitis -

Me too, but never have any no.2 probs. Think the ground flax helps and salad every day. Do lovely 'clean' and smell free no.2's :oops: at the same time every morning. It's one of the benefits I love about low carbing

Jane :)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
'Only one of the clinical trials has assessed symptomatic side effects of an LCKD (55). In that study, subjects following an LCKD were more likely to experience constipation, ...'than were those following a low-fat diet.
http://www.ajcn.org/content/86/2/276.long
So the only trial to report side effects does mention the possibility
If you are going to follow a low carb diet I would think that making sure you have a good intake of fibre is essential.

Oh I've just realised this post is very old but I'll leave the quote in. I did do a double take when I saw the Duck .
Welcome Jane,
It might be a good idea to introduce yourself in the introduction thread.

Hobnoblin

When I first started low carb several years ago I ate very little fibre and my 'movements', although less frequent, were better quality. I won't go into gory details but trust me. As long as you keep hydrated and eat plenty of fats you'll be fine. I now eat plenty of nuts, seeds and fibrous veg. I have no problems whatsoever. As Graham stated there is no need to be short of fibre on a low carb diet, but in all honesty it made little difference to me. I think the constipation thing is overstated.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Me too. Pre lo-carb I could go 3 or 4 times a day easily. But they were **** (pun intended).

Lo-carb (as long as you keep hydrated and eat some fibre) poops are great. I feel completely empty afterwards, and feel a spring in my setep as I leave the loo.

Some people have to balance the fat/fibre thing. In some people too much of certain types of fat can have an almost laxative effect.

This thread is hilarious! :lol:

josie38

Patch you are hilarious.......im glad you have a spring in your step when leaving lav and ur bowesl are healthy...........

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Perhaps we can get Gillian MacKeith to come round and give us some cr*p advice :twisted: on our poo :twisted:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I think this thread is starting to go down the pan now

mutley.gif

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Ahhh... I remember my first lo-carb poop. THAT was a new experience for sure. Gillian MCKeith would have need both hands and an assistant...

Memories. :lol:

Sid said:
I think this thread is starting to go down the pan now

<<groan>>

I love that Mutley .gif!!!

phoenix said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Stool_Scale

Type 3.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Fascinating wiki article, Phoenix! So if you're passing Types 3 and 4, but only every 2 or 3 days, does that count as constipation? or is that an okay frequency on a low-carb diet? I'm sure I should be getting enough fibre in my diet, I drink lots of water, and I hardly ever have flatulence, but I prefer to go daily, and I don't :oops:

(Oh, I love this forum! the things we get to discuss :lol: )

Viv 8)

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Although I originally said T3, I do see pretty much all of those turds over the course of a few months. (Except T1 - I think I've only ever done that once. And T5 is also very rare, but more common that T1).

This IS an odd thread. We never talk about poop on the DJ/music forums that I go to...